Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Need help with stew for shabbos

LO

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 10:53 am
Hi all! My husband does not like cholent and asked me to come up with a stew of some sort to make in a crockpot. Does anyone have any ideas for what I could do that would be lighter? I would still need to put in beef because my kids don't like slow cooked chicken.

I looked at recipes online but most of them are not designed to cook for so long, so when I make them, they still come out overcooked.

Any recipes and ideas of how to adapt them for Shabbos?

Thanks in advance! Good Shabbos!

Elfrida

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 11:02 am
What exactly doesn't he like about chulent that you need to avoid?

I've made parev mushroom barley soup in the slow cooker, and it does fine sitting there overnight. Then I serve that as its own course and heat up schnitzels and rice or kugel and serve them separately. You could try adding chunks of beef to the soup, but that might make it too chulenty.

Meatballs in sauce sit very well overnight, and you could put potatoes in the pot with them. Small, whole potatoes tend to work for this better than large ones which you have cut up. Or you could serve them with rice, or quinoa.

Or abandon chulent altogether for a while. I hardly ever make chulent during the summer.

essie14

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 11:10 am
I make cholent maybe 2-3 times a year. We just dont care for it much.
I do pargit on the grill, brisket, or other foods.
On occasion in the winter I do an overnight turkey soup with Turkey necks, potatoes, sweet potatoes, onions and carrots. Lots of water and seasoning so it's a soup, not a stew.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 11:15 am
Short grain rice and meat stew comes out good. A lot of other types come out too overcooked tasting.

LO

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 12:19 pm
ra_mom, how do I cook it so the rice doesn't turn mushy?

zaq

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 1:48 pm
your basic goulash: beef chunks, tomato sauce, onions, potatoes, carrots, garlic, pepper, paprika. you can add sliced or diced bell peppers in different colors for flavor and eye appeal. Put meat in first, add veggies later.

Perly1

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 1:53 pm
We generally have stew - like chulent but lots of veg instead of beans and add more water. You can also put in shnitzel - it goes really soft.

Cheiny

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 2:43 pm
I make a delicious lamb (or beef) and okra stew. Sauté onions, brown either lamb cubes or beef, and or lamb or beef neck bones. Add a jar of marinara sauce and a bit of water, and some sugar or Splenda, a bit of lemon juice, black pepper, bring to boil, add a bag of frozen okra, lower flame, Cook for 1 1/2 hours.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jul 31 2020, 3:04 pm
LO wrote:
ra_mom, how do I cook it so the rice doesn't turn mushy?

It has to be short grain rice, otherwise the rice busts and doesn't have a good consistency.
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....13051

LO

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 1:48 pm
How would I cook a roast in the crockpot so it comes out good over so many hours? Is there a particular type to use? How much water, etc? Thanks!

ra_mom

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 2:44 pm
LO wrote:
How would I cook a roast in the crockpot so it comes out good over so many hours? Is there a particular type to use? How much water, etc? Thanks!

It comes out tasting like cholent meat. Some people like it.

Rutabaga

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 2:55 pm
I've never made cholent in my life, although DH does occasionally.

We make soups in the crockpot every week. My go-to recipes are here if you're interested: https://www.imamother.com/foru.....04082

Sometimes we'll also put up a full meal soup with stew meat and sausages plus grains and veggies. DH usually does that when I can't cook for some reason so I can't give you an exact recipe. I don't think there really is a recipe because DH tends to try out different things every time. The kids love it as long as he doesn't make it too spicy.

LO

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 11:47 am
I bought a chuck eye roast this morning. Don't want to ruin it....does anyone have experience in cooking it in the crockpot for shabbos lunch?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus