Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
S/O of wedding costs -How do you live/your philosophy?
Previous  1  2

How do you live? choose the closest option
Have cc debt, live in debt, life is expensive  
 7%  [ 14 ]
Owe money on loans other than mortgage, but no cc debt  
 7%  [ 13 ]
Live paycheck to paycheck, always trying to make a dollar out of 99 cents  
 9%  [ 17 ]
Live paycheck to paycheck, but do save for future  
 13%  [ 25 ]
We live within our means, barely make it  
 11%  [ 22 ]
We live within our means b"h are blessed with enough to not stress  
 35%  [ 66 ]
We live below our means b"h are able to  
 13%  [ 24 ]
Hashem has appointed us grantors of large charity  
 1%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 184

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 6:41 pm
Someone up-thread mentioned the Millionaire Next Door. Everyone who thinks they "need" to undermine their financial stability to keep up with the neighbors or that they "need" to support adult children rather than prepare them to support themselves needs to read this book! I don't share the authors' perspective 100%, but the overall approach makes sense and is very much the way I was raised in an upper middle class family that lived well within our means. I wanted for nothing but didn't have, nor did I expect, a fraction of what I read about on Imamother when I was married, and I didn't feel deprived. As a middle-aged adult I have somewhat lower income than my parents did, but am still financially comfortable and accustomed to living modestly. No debt and no showing off, although I don't deprive myself either.

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 8:00 am
This makes me feel like I am doing a terrible job managing my finances, but here goes. We make a decent enough income, but a lot of it goes to taxes due to me living in NY and not legally having as many dependents as I actually support (long story, but not the point of this post.) We bought a house a few years ago and then went into debt due to a medical issue. I haven't been able to catch up on the 100,000 in debt that we went into at that point. My credit cards are nearly maxed out, but I still don't know where I can cut the budget. Used cars, no vacations, no cleaning help even with big family and both of us working, etc.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 8:15 am
I've always worried about money but in different ways.
As a kid, I watched as my parents lived paycheck-to-paycheck.
As an adult, we live in a cramped home that doesn't meet our needs by a longshot. We don't buy too much clothing or "stuff". People think we're poor. I read on Imamother about some people's idea of necessities and recognize it's far from my reality.
The tradeoff is that we don't sweat our monthly bills or surprise expenses.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 9:42 am
Coming from the other side, we are not spenders at all. We barely ever go on vacation, buy minimum. But are in high debt due DH struggling with jobs, making extreme low income, I am physically compromised so can't work, we have higher tuition and expenses due to special needs child.
We dont own a house. We don't have any attests, besides children.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics