Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Lights flickering, will electricity go out because of storm?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 12:16 pm
Anyone else have their lights blinking? I shut my lights off but am concerned that the electricity will get cut off, is there anything I can do to prevent it?

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 12:40 pm
It will possible go off. Nothing you can do about it.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 12:42 pm
Mine blinking too. Do I need to close it?

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 12:47 pm
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
Mine blinking too. Do I need to close it?

Only if the flashing lights freak you or your kids out.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 1:01 pm
Where can I get updates on the storm?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 1:53 pm
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
Where can I get updates on the storm?

I get updates on whatsap but it seems to be selective news like some trees fell in wb and a person was killed in queens and some other people were injured by falling trees but nothing in my neighborhood. That is despite the fact that I keep hearing sirens, the lights are blinking and the wind is so strong that garbage cans and other things are being tossed around by the wind.
Two tornadoes touched down in New Jersey while deblasio issued a warning for New York but I am surprised that we didnt get any notices on the phone so not sure what is happening. If you hear anything keep us updated.

https://nypost.com/2020/08/04/.....80127

silverlining3

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 3:12 pm
I was at a spa today and lights were constantly on n off. Some of my friends reported a blackout in their home.

My husband did carpool earlier and he said streets are blocked off due to fallen trees or fire. It's no joke

Though nothing you can really do just wait for it to pass, with hopefully not too serious damages.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 3:18 pm
Blackout by me. Hope it gets fixed before dark.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 3:35 pm
Here in Monsey there are lot's of down tree's and power lines. Many fires on wires. Many are without power. There are things strewn everywhere, a real storm. We lost power but it's back on bh. Still keeps blinking though. DD came home early because they lost power.

silverlining3

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 8:56 pm
No power since around 3:30. Till now I was fine, delicious weather outside. Now house is quiet and outside dark.. Bla! Hashem please make the lights turn on once again .thank you

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 12:18 am
This is why CA put many of their power lines underground. Nothing to fall if there is an earthquake! This happens in NY/NJ every few years- try to push for underground lines. We get blackouts but that is only in a heatwave when EVERYONE has every fan and air conditioner on plus washing machines, lights, computers etc.

Hope you can find a way to charge your phones at least! Sending you all good thoughts!

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 8:09 am
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
This is why CA put many of their power lines underground. Nothing to fall if there is an earthquake! This happens in NY/NJ every few years- try to push for underground lines. We get blackouts but that is only in a heatwave when EVERYONE has every fan and air conditioner on plus washing machines, lights, computers etc.

Hope you can find a way to charge your phones at least! Sending you all good thoughts!

Yes, it would be wonderful to have underground lines but these are old. Do you know what the expense would be to change them?

Also, then what would we use for an Eruv-kidding, just trying to interject some humor.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 8:20 am
We put in a generator after Hurricane Sandy because we wouldn't have taken so much damage if the power had stayed on and the sump pumps kept pumping. We've never had a flooding issue again B"H, but we also don't have to worry about our power going out in a storm like this one. I highly recommend it!

Sunny Days

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 9:41 am
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
We put in a generator after Hurricane Sandy because we wouldn't have taken so much damage if the power had stayed on and the sump pumps kept pumping. We've never had a flooding issue again B"H, but we also don't have to worry about our power going out in a storm like this one. I highly recommend it!

You need to have where to keep a generator. Apartment people can’t have one for safety reasons. (Though that’s more city like where hopefully less power outages)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries