Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Will the DOE actually end up opening?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 4:21 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
Everyone knows these excuses about how all these scenarios are more dangerous than the virus are ridiculous and not true
No one died yet from having to learn at home. Not one

Now we have one https://matzav.com/parents-of-.....uted/ Crying

Can we now all agree that both side have equally valid concerns?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 4:33 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
How many families with children do you know who are sitting home quarantined????
Kids and adults are out in the streets. Shopping, playing...
Special needs children are suddenly the issue of causing corona!
How stupid can they be???

My secular coworkers have had their children home - they have a tutor who comes and works with them. They have select friends who they can play with, swim in their backyards, and they have tennis lessons 2 or 3 days a week, horseback riding, etc. Frum people are a different story. That's what I was mentioning. That's not a normal situation for frum people, for whom camp is almost a must.

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 7:16 pm
This is what the union is asking for:

-Voluntary testing for all students and school-based staff returning for in-person instruction.
-A rolling testing regimen in every school community for adults and student volunteers to identify those infected with the virus but asymptomatic.
-The results of these tests should be available within 24 hours.
-A dedicated group of contact tracers to investigate who else has been exposed when an adult or a student in a school contracts the virus.
-A school nurse in every school building.
-Evidence that the protections and procedures outlined in the plan have been implemented, including the testing and upgrading of ventilation systems, and the necessary staff and supplies to deep clean the buildings every night.

Without these protections in place, staff and students — and the families they go home to at night — will not be safe from the coronavirus.

princessleah

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 2:00 pm
Our school (in the suburbs) will be opening. They seem to have a well-thought out plan. I agree that teachers should be viewed as essential workers.

I also agree that the NYC public school system has been fraying at the seams and now years of overcrowding, underfunding and neglect, and too-powerful unions are all coming to a head. You can't stuff 30 kids in a classroom, with overflow into neighboring apartment buildings and shuls (which I have witnessed) and then have feasible distancing plan that gets all the kids back to school.

mha3484

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 2:17 pm
Chicago Public Schools which is the 3rd largest after LA (staying closed) and NYC just announced that they are starting the year remote. They wanted a hybrid and the teachers wanted full remote. The union won. I think NYC will do the same.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children