Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Tornado warning

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 11:17 am
I’m terrified. Called up dh and told him he’d better get off the road. I looked at the tornado map and it looks like we’re not in the path. Anyone know how this works.

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 11:37 am
I am guessing there are no tornado sirens in NJ? If not, watch your tv or listen to a news radio station. They will preempt scheduled programming for emergency weather reports.

A warning is different than a watch. https://www.weather.gov/safety/tornado-ww

It’s always good to have a cleared out area of your basement in case you need a space. If you happen to have a spare mattress to shelter under that’s awesome. If not, grab some thick comforters and quilts to cover you. If you don’t have a basement, go to an interior area of your house like a bathroom or closet.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 11:44 am
I don’t know. It was a watch and then a warning. My hone was going crazy but I didn’t hear sirens outside.

As per my phone the warning is over. I hear lots of fire trucks and ambulances going by. It didn’t hit here Baruch HaShem. I hope everyone’s ok Sad

Chayalle

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 12:12 pm
two trees down on my block. Police and fire trucks (not sure why as there don't seem to be any fires.)

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 12:47 pm
If emergency services have time to hang out then we're probably in good shape. Last summer when we had that freak storm there were people stuck in the elevators for a while. The fire dept gets them out and they were very tied up.

I still hear sirens going up and down rt 9 though. Davening our power stays.

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 1:25 pm
No power here for around an hour already.
I’m happy it’s not nighttime and we have a little light from the windows.
My sons camp just texted that they have no power or water and they are making an early dismissal.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 1:35 pm
So did anyone see the tornado?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 4:01 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

It touched down in Cape May. It could be it didn't go through our area.

Sweet as Pie

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 4:35 pm
Also in Harriman I think

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 5:01 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

It’s not like the one in the wizard of oz. You’ll be ok. Just don’t be out and about.

SuperWify

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 7:56 pm
Anyone got power back?

Simple1

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 8:00 pm
SuperWify wrote:
Anyone got power back?

Not us

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Aug 04 2020, 8:44 pm
No power

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 1:36 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
It’s not like the one in the wizard of oz. You’ll be ok. Just don’t be out and about.
Did you get the emergency warning? It said to go into a basement or a secure room. Which is exactly what they did in the Wizard of Oz.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 8:58 pm
As someone who lives in tornado prone areas and has gone through a few tornado like storms that ended up being straight line winds without rotation that did affect my home, I can say it's not like the wizard of oz (though to be fair, I don't think I actually ever watched it!)
The last major storm I was in that took down my power for 2 days and ripped off my gutters was debated if it was a tornado or not. Turns out the rotation started a mile or two after me, but we had tornado like winds. It's scary, howling winds and the like, especially with no power, but there's no houses blowing away like in the movie... You need a really, really strong tornado for that and most are not.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries