Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Can kitchen cabinets be painted?

chili-n-cholent

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 2:09 pm
https://I.imgur.com/0N1kf0N.png
Can kitchen cabinets be painted? I can't afford to redo the kitchen from scratch but would love a light or white colored kitchen and someone mentioned to me that they heard of ppl sanding down the cabinets and painting them.
Has anybody heard of such a concept? Does it look decent? Do you know of ppl that would do it for me NY/NJ area?
Thanks!

zaq

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 2:12 pm
Solid wood cabinets can be sanded down and refinished. Laminate and wood veneer cannot. If the veneer is in good condition you may be able to paint over it.

chili-n-cholent

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 2:19 pm
And it looks as good as new or looks layered? I'm trying to figure out if it will just look like I'm playing around
Have you seen something like this in real life?

Amarante

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 2:20 pm
It can be done but to have it done properly is expensive because the doors have to be prepared properly which is a lot of work. If you just slap on paint, it will chip and flake quickly. Also painted cabinets are done a special way so that there are nyt streaks or dust and last relatively longer. They aren’t just painted like you would a wall in a house or even wood trim.

The cost of a a proper paint job is not cheap and if the cabinets are old, many people feel it is not worth it as you will spend a lot and have old cabinets.

chili-n-cholent

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 2:24 pm
Amarante wrote:
It can be done but to have it done properly is expensive because the doors have to be prepared properly which is a lot of work. If you just slap on paint, it will chip and flake quickly. Also painted cabinets are done a special way so that there are nyt streaks or dust and last relatively longer. They aren’t just painted like you would a wall in a house or even wood trim.

The cost of a a proper paint job is not cheap and if the cabinets are old, many people feel it is not worth it as you will spend a lot and have old cabinets.

I hear, sounds like I need to reassess this then.
Do you know anybody that does such work?

Amarante

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 2:30 pm
anyone wrote:
I hear, sounds like I need to reassess this then.
Do you know anybody that does such work?

Sorry I don’t have a recommendation but you need to make sure anyone you contact is doing the doors properly as you might get a low quote for someone who will just slap paint in it.

Depending on the state of your cabinets, refacing is an option if the cabinets are in good shape and you are happy with the layout. However if your cabinets are old, it might nit be worth spending money on them and you would be better off saving and just installing new cabinets with improved features and a better layout. You might be surprised in terms of the cost of an IKEA kitchen versus painting cabinets.

I remodeled and spent a lot of time on houzz.com forums. That is really the best place to get advice versus the limited number of kitchen remodelers on ima.

chili-n-cholent

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 2:34 pm
Thanks that sounds like a good idea

4g01o

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 6:18 pm
You can change just the doors of your cabinets.

rising hero

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 7:03 pm
I painted my cabinets on my own. It was a big job (for me, im not a professional).
I sanded down the doors and frames. I painted one coat of primer and two coats paint. I used cabinet and trim paint from home depot. They look pretty good!

number

Post Wed, Aug 05 2020, 9:41 pm
I've seen pictures of wood cabinets sanded and repainted to look marble. Gorgeous.
Make sure you're getting a professional painter and not some handyman
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars