Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Grandmas: Are you getting together w. grandkids same as befo

Are grandparents getting together w. grandkids same as before, or are they still trying to avoid extended/close contact with anyone who doesnt live in their house?
Same as pre-covid, were having grandkids over for Shabbos  
 56%  [ 21 ]
Much less in person socializing with grandkids  
 16%  [ 6 ]
Still staying away from personal contact w grandkids as much as possible  
 27%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 37

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 10:05 am
Are grandparents getting together w. grandkids same as before (like having grandkids over for Shabbos), or are they still trying to avoid extended/close contact with anyone who doesnt live in their house?

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 10:07 am
We visit my mother and grandmother outside only and use basement bathroom only, separate entrance. (3 hr drive away)

#BestBubby

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 10:17 am
I have my grandchildren over for shobbos, same as pre-covid.

I went to my MIL for Pesach and we were careful to stay 6 ft. apart, no hugs or kisses.

And my children/granchildren were not allowed to go to join us at my MIL as we usually do.

This Sukkos we intend to let children/grandchildren come to my MIL with SD.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 10:45 am
Every Shabbos I walk over there to visit outside. I bring treats and books, and read the books to them outside. Sometimes wonderful DDIL brings the grandchildren here to play outside on a weekday. Yesterday I made dinner for them and dropped it off. Several weeks ago we had Shabbos lunch there. Outside at separate tables. They live about a 20-minute walk from my house.

We haven't had them over here as often, but the main difference is everything is outside. With social distancing and masks.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 10:53 am
We "bubbled" with one set of grandparents briefly before my kids went to camp. Now we only have socially distanced visits with both sets of grandparents. I would love to bubble again, but we'd need to self-isolate for 2 weeks after camp and we can't do that because school will be starting.

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 10:57 am
We go to them for shabbos.

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 10:59 am
I imagine age and health of the grandparents is relevant here. My friend whose father is 80 is in a different situation than my husband whose father is in his 50s.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 11:27 am
It also makes a diff who had covid.
My parents I mentioned above don’t have antibodies. (We also do not)

My in laws had covid with symptoms and tested for antibodies. With them we interact like always.

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 11:28 am
Also different if the grandparents were sick and have any level of antibodies.
My parents both were sick (mild) and currently have moderate level of antibodies.
Yes we don't know how long that lasts, but for now, we'll visit.
My in-laws on the other hand have no antibodies so only outdoors with masks or 6 ft.

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 11:36 am
We're fairly young grandparents who had Covid already. We see the locals, and traveled a few weeks ago.
At this point we don't want to use up vacation days so aren't planning to travel so soon but welcome anyone who wants to come to us.
The great grandparents are starting to venture out a bit, one more than the other.

southernbubby

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 12:37 pm
It depends which ones. Two sets of grandchildren are living in hotspots so we are not going to them and vice versa but the ones that live close by we do see and my grandson is taking a nap here at the moment.
Some of our grandchildren were infected after Purim.

ImmaBubby

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 12:44 pm
Sore topic here...
I haven't seen my kids or grandchildren in over 6 months. We are all pining away for each other, but I live in a hot spot and haven't really gone anywhere but the most basic shopping (at 7 am) since Purim. My kids would prefer if we didn't even do that.
I always thought of myself as a young Bubby, but I guess my underlying condition, which has always been under control, is getting in the way. Also DH has a more serious underlying condition, and my kids are really fearful of him being exposed.
It's awful, I tell you.
Thank HaShem for facetime.
Crying

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 6:55 pm
Not a grandma but I will tell you what we do with my kids and their grandparents.
My kids don't go to camp. They don't go to stores (maybe once since Purim?). They don't have play dates anymore- we had outdoor ones until my neighbor's sent to camp...
I telecommute for work. I go out for grocery shopping and pretty much nothing else. We all wear masks on our walks outside and of course in stores. No minyan for DH. (He wouldn't be doing that anyways without grandparents factoring in because they are not strict on masks and SD).

But we go and see my in laws and my parents often. At least weekly. We all wash hands as soon as we come in their door.

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 8:39 pm
My kids see my parents and in laws same as before. Parents we never did from and in laws we don't see as often in general. We just went this past Shabbos though.
Now next generation, my grandfather (my kids great grandfather) we see normally since he lives with my parents.
My grandmother (kids great grandmother) is BEYOND strictly SD. To the point that she doesn't ever leave the house and didn't even drive by to my sister's vort (lives with uncle). Most likely won't be at my sister's wedding either. The only way we can "visit" is we stand in the alley way and she by the window three stories up. Backyard visits where she sits in the backyard and we twenty feet away in the alley are too close they claim. It's honestly a super sad situation since she (and the ppl "taking care" of her) believe if she so much goes for a walk she will chas vshalom die. She is in good health and spends her day making puzzles. They even social distance from each other in their house with masks/ sheilds.
She used to always come to us and we are super close to her and it's sad for the family that even with precautions we can't see her normally.

southernbubby

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 9:01 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Are grandparents getting together w. grandkids same as before (like having grandkids over for Shabbos), or are they still trying to avoid extended/close contact with anyone who doesnt live in their house?

I would say that the infection rate where we are is currently low and I hope that it lasts. I don't know if it will ever be zero and vaccines are not as effective in older people as they are in younger people. Most of us don't want to have no contact with the family other than to entertain them from the porch, like we did for three months. We are hopeful that in time, treatment will improve but we made the decision to spend time with grandchildren who are in areas with few cases.
I am careful about other things such as we haven't flown anywhere or eaten in an indoor restaurant or attended a simcha or gone to shul. I shop off hours but in a mask.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics