Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Cleaning counters?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 11:35 am
How can I clean my counters and table in a way that would be safe if food got on it after? Which cleaning product? Do you have a separate rag for meat and dairy?

tweety1

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 11:43 am
I clean it mostly with hot water only cuz usually that's enough. When I don't I wash it down with hot water afterwards.

newcomer

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 12:05 pm
You can use a little bit of dishwashing soap along with hot water. Use clean paper towels to dry it off. Drying is key, because wet areas help bacteria to multiply.

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 12:10 pm
I use regular dish soap and hot water. No separate rags, as rags go in the washing machine after one use anyway.
If I feel it needs a better clean I use Fantastic and then wash it again with just water.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 12:22 pm
So I know this sounds dumb but how do you use dishwashing soap and water? You put soap on the rag and then hot water and then wipe down?

Amarante

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 12:24 pm
I do use one of the spray cleaners on my counters especially with Covid but this has also made me aware in general of how much bacteria and virus can be spread from contact with any surface. Clorox, Lysol are all good and with the spray bottle, it's convenient. You can get a large bottle and then just keep filling a smaller bottle and that's more economical and ecological.

I do find that keeping my counters as uncluttered as possible helps me keep them clean because it's much easier to swab down a counter if you don't have to move a lot of things back and forth.

I use paper towels a lot if I am swabbing down counters because I don't like the thought of cross contaminating from unsanitary cloths or sponges although I obviously use sponges as well but buy them in large quantities from Costco and try not to use them for a long time. I will also put them in the dishwasher when I run a load.

Rappel

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 12:35 pm
Soap and hot water.

For antibacterial, I spray on bleach.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 12:39 pm
If you spray it with an anti bacterial , how do you clean it so it’s safe after if food touches it?

Amarante

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 12:41 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
If you spray it with an anti bacterial , how do you clean it so it’s safe after if food touches it?

It is not dangerous to use a counter after cleaned with Lysol or whatever. You are not placing food directly on a large pool of disinfectant so the food isn't bathing in liquid.

Amarante

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 12:43 pm
You would also need to use a cleaner recommended for your counter materials as some materials can't be cleaned with certain cleaners.

zaq

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 1:04 pm
Soap and water are fine. Put some water and just a tiny bit of dishwashing liquid in a clean spray bottle, spray on, let set a few seconds or longer, and wipe off with a clean cloth. Type of cloth doesn't matter. Kitchen towel, washcloth, old t-shirt, microfiber, whatever floats your root beer. If you're especially finicky, you can rinse by sprinkling with plain water and drying with another clean cloth, but it's not necessary. More important than what you use to clean is to clean often and with a clean cloth.

Antibacterial is not necessary and in fact counterproductive (ouch,ouch, ouch) because you kill off the weaker bugs and leave behind only the stronger ones, till you end up with only resistant bugs and then you have a REAL problem. However, if you had raw meat, poultry or fish on the surface, or something really grody like, oh, maybe a used diaper or a shoe, use hot water and a more concentrated soap solution. Spray plain white vinegar afterwards if it makes you feel better. It's also not necessary, but it does help remove any residual soap if you didn't rinse it well.

Not that the tiny bit of dishwashing liquid residue that MIGHT remain on your counter is in any way hazardous. You could drink the stuff and all that would happen is an upset stomach and a bout of diarrhea. Maybe you'd blow bubbles every time you opened your mouth, wouldnt that be cool? But residual soap can leave the surface looking dull, and vinegar would prevent that.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 1:25 pm
Of course separate things for cleaning milk and meat counters!!!!

I use paper towels and hot water from my urn. For tough spots I’ll use the appropriate (milchig or fleishig) sponge

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 1:30 pm
Fantastik spray and a paper towel. Lysol wipes if I’m in a rush.
I just let it dry and figure there’s not enough left to contaminate the food.

Teomima

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 1:41 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So I know this sounds dumb but how do you use dishwashing soap and water? You put soap on the rag and then hot water and then wipe down?

Put a drop of soap in a bowl of hot (not scalding) water. Dip your rag into the hot soapy water.

Vinegar and water is also a food safe way to clean a counter.

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 1:49 pm
All of the above work but if you're looking for a food safe cleaner I recently discovered krud cutter. It's not antibacterial and does not kill covid germs (which why I could find it in March!) But it does a good job on kitchen spills and I don't worry about it being unsafe near my baby.

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 2:29 pm
ants love bleach, so I use baking soda. if you are worried about bacteria, try an anti-bacterial dish soap on your counters

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 2:33 pm
Some products say that you have to wash the counter after you use them. Like Lysol etc....
Read the fine print on make label. I do think that important so I try to use a spray that says no need to rinse. (Some methods and some seventh generation- but not all!)

amother
Aqua

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 5:21 am
I love my pack of anti-bacterial wipes. No messing around trying to find where I last left my spray bottle or kitchen towel. Just wipe over and it's good to go.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry