Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Building Up Our Home Library- Jewish
1  2  Next

Bleemee

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 12:18 am
What are your top 3 *frum* books for kids in grades 2-4 that you think should be in every Jewish home library?

shirachadasha

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 12:25 am
Feldheim's Around the Year 4 volume set.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 12:28 am
I loved Kids Sisters at that age. Also Kids Speak.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 8:54 am
Miriam Elias books

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 9:14 am
Hard call. I don't buy fiction much so I'll go with the non fiction. This is NOT my absolute top 3 but a few great books.
We Want Life. An older book on shmiras halashon from Feldheim.
The new Artscroll Chumash books done by Rabbi Zakon.
The Gadi Pollack Hagada (older kids).
There's a hilchos Shabbos book with traffic stop colors - anyone know what that is? The 39 Melachos by Rabbi Chait's great too.
There are some nice biographies. Not the middle school ones (though those are good too) but picture book size about Henny Machlis, Rebbetzin Kanievsky, many gedolim. (I'm trying to come up with something that will appeal to all and grow with the kids.)
The Weiss edition Pirkei Avos.

tante_feige

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 11:18 am
Rabbi Juravel on parsha
Rabbi Chait's 39 melachos
Yiddeshe kop

Bleemee

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 12:57 pm
Any more novels?

#Happymom

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 1:08 pm
Kids speak!
Kis sisters!
Bakers dozen!
By times!

Claaaaasics☺

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 1:10 pm
PinkFridge wrote:

The new Artscroll Chumash books done by Rabbi Zakon.
My second grader is obsessed with those. She’s read all of them several times and keeps asking when the others will come out.

I’ll have to look into the other suggestions in this thread. Thanks for posting, op!

disneyland

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 1:19 pm
Kids speak is great for girls and boys. So I would recommend that and there are already 12. Also short stories by Miriam schonzeit. There is one called The Party in Room 403. And There's Zucchini in the Chocolate Cake.
It has a short story about girls as the star character and then the next story about a boy star character. Very good stories.
Also the books like "friends on the farm" and "candy kids" by menucha Beckerman.
They are each books about a theme

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 1:41 pm
Libby lazewnik has a bunch of awesome books for that age. Most of them have short stories in it. The lemonade stand is one title I remember.
Also the cheery bim band and class series by m.c millman is good for that age.
The tessler triplets by Chaya Sara Zirkind is nice.
There’s also a series of books I don’t remember the title but it’s about shira and Jennifer I think it’s a family that moves and their neighbors with a rich family that’s less Frum than them. I loved those books.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 5:42 pm
A lot of books that age are boy vs girl specific. And depending on reading level, 2nd grade can be very different from 4th...

But Savta Simcha series came to mind as something not yet mentioned...

isrmss91

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 6:16 pm
The tesssler triplests is a 4 book series, but is currently out of print. So I think we should focus on books that are in print and gender neutral.
The kids love the 23 under 1 roof series. There are 8 books all together, plus the original 21 under 1 roof.

Team Taryag by Chaim Walder. So far there are 2 books in that series. Another classic novel for children is by also Chaim Walder, is "That's me Tzviki Green" He wrote the Kids Speak series, but I am not a fan and find the stories very dramatized and sometimes scary, but the kids love them.

Avner Gold's has been re-releasing "The Promised child" and 5 others books with additional chapters via Artscroll . He has released 6 so far with "The Purple Ring" the latest. Those are Historical Fiction classics and glad to see them in print again. They are part of the Strasbourg Saga. Oh but I am editing, you want grade 2-4 and the Strasboug Saga books, might be a bit advanced.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 7:43 pm
A lot of good novels have been suggested.
The Mr. Lister books.
The Marvelous Mix-Up.
Libby Lazewnik and Rachel Stein come to mind as far as more story collections goes. (Like Miriam Schonzeit.)
If you have girls, the Jewish Girls Around the World books by Miriam Walfish.
The Incredible Brocho Machine by Debbie Herman. Probably out of print but a fun book.

Gotta run.

LiLIsraeli

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 7:54 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
Libby lazewnik has a bunch of awesome books for that age. Most of them have short stories in it. The lemonade stand is one title I remember.
Also the cheery bim band and class series by m.c millman is good for that age.
The tessler triplets by Chaya Sara Zirkind is nice.
There’s also a series of books I don’t remember the title but it’s about shira and Jennifer I think it’s a family that moves and their neighbors with a rich family that’s less Frum than them. I loved those books.

Shira's Summer, Shira's New Start, and Absolutely Shira!

Good Friend

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 8:00 pm
1. The "Fun to Read" series:
The great potato plan
Feiga finds the way
Gifts to treasure
More precious than Gold
Etc.
2. Bedtime stories for Jewish Children series
3. Machanayim books are nice
4. The storyteller series by Nissan Mindel

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 8:01 pm
PF I wanted to say the incredible brocha machine. I own 2 copies. One of my favorite books ever for that age. But yes out of print :-(

#BestBubby

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 8:18 pm
I remember a great book for girls called "Happy is the Heart". Don't know if it is still in print

Also the Shitufitzky comic books.

Bleemee

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 2:25 pm
Great ideas, thanks.
Funny that a lot of them are my personal favorites from when I was that age. Passed the test of time.

Bleemee

Post Thu, Aug 13 2020, 12:26 pm
Any other ideas?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics