Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Does anyone here have a baby that got physical therapy?
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Plum

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 1:26 am
Tries2BGoodMom wrote:
I have a very similar situation with my 8 month old baby. She always flips over from her stomach to her back right when I put her down. She doesn’t roll over from her back to her stomach and doesn’t even turn sideways even when I put interesting things next to her. I called EI and have an evaluation next week for her. This is a very interesting thread for me to read! Does anyone have any ideas of how to get her to roll sideways? Thanks!

I just kept rolling mine over. I would put a toy next to her and roll her over slowly to show her how to get to it (I'd reach her arm over to the toy to show her that by rolling over she could get to it). I watched videos online about how to teach your baby to roll over and I would position her body in the way that she would position it while rolling. I'd slowly roll her half way and see if she would finish the roll. At first- NOTHING. she'd just flop herself back to laying down but eventually she got it! I would work on this with her multiple times a day every day. I tried to be upbeat and fun about it. Eventually we got to the point if I rolled her half way but kept my hand behind her back so she wasn't able to fall back she would finish the roll onto her stomach by herself. Then we got to the point if I gave her a little push from her back she would complete the roll. Finally she got to being able to roll all on her own.

To the OP: I'm so sorry for you and your baby. I have no suggestions but I hope things turn out OK for you all. It is probably so frustrating that you just want some suggestions of exercises and no one is helpful but this just seems to be beyond a few exercises. Until you can get help just try to play with and engage your baby as much as you can.

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 2:28 am
OP, I am the amother who's daughter had torticollis. You said you looked up what people posted and that your baby's head doesn't tilt. I just wanted to let you know that my baby's head didn't look tilted to me (or her therapists!) but when she was on her stomach, the therapists noticed it and there has an "aha moment". I still couldn't see anything. To prove it to me, they measured for me how much movement my baby had when her head was turned all the way to the left, then all the way to the right. Even though I couldn't see it, the PT's saw it and helped treat it. My point is not that your child has torticollis, my point is just because you can't see an issue, doesn't mean a PT can't. If you evaluate, they can tell you what they see and then you can go from there.

amother
Ruby

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 4:41 am
two of my otherwise perfectly healthy and well developed children needed pt in their early childhood. ive seen great pt and mediocre pt. the great ones made such a huge impact and helped my kids develop. im so so grateful that we met them and they treated my sons. one of the children is still behind (learned to bike, skate, climb a bit later than his classmates) bugt reaches all milestones the other son is super sporty now and a very fast runner etc. that being said im very sure that the older son wouldnt be where he is now without those 24 sessions of intensive pt when he was 18 months old. in addition I practiced with them at home, we did our homework, massages, slow movements the pt showed us exactly what to do. dont underestimate what u can do as aotehr BUT you ahve to learn yourself - im NOT a pt I cant evaluate my kids so im dependent on asking a professional.

Tries2BGoodMom

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 7:51 am
[quote="amother [ Plum ]"]I just kept rolling mine over. I would put a toy next to her and roll her over slowly to show her how to get to it (I'd reach her arm over to the toy to show her that by rolling over she could get to it). I watched videos online about how to teach your baby to roll over and I would position her body in the way that she would position it while rolling. I'd slowly roll her half way and see if she would finish the roll. At first- NOTHING. she'd just flop herself back to laying down but eventually she got it! I would work on this with her multiple times a day every day. I tried to be upbeat and fun about it. Eventually we got to the point if I rolled her half way but kept my hand behind her back so she wasn't able to fall back she would finish the roll onto her stomach by herself. Then we got to the point if I gave her a little push from her back she would complete the roll. Finally she got to being able to roll all on her own.

Thank you so much!!!! I’m going to try this.

amother
Purple

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 8:06 am
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
Im sorry for some of the responses youve been getting.

I did not have therapy and:
I didnt start crawling till 14 months
I didnt stand until 18 months
I didnt walk until 21 months

Every baby goes at their own pace.

Does your baby plant his feet when you stand him up or does he buckle? My baby buckled and I practiced with him every day by holding his feet and yes he screamed the first few days. BH he stands holding on now but hes 18 months and still not cruising or crawling on all fours. My intuition is that he will catch up but Im impatient to wait so I had him evaluated and they sent me a list of exercises to do with him. I can post them here if youd like.

I didn’t either. And I was in and out of therapy as a teenager and adult. Sometimes I wonder how things would be different if I’d had that therapy but I know it’s bashert.
They didn’t do this early intervention stuff in the 80s and 90s. They do it now because it really makes a difference for a lot of kids.

amother
Apricot

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 9:03 am
I have a dd with low tone she got ei at 9 months bec no rolling crawling floppy sitting. She did well and also got tubes if you have a lot of fluid it affects balance. she had outher issues also we stooped pt at 2.5 bec she was up to par and had bigger issues coming out. Fast forward she desperately needs pt and she doesn't want she's old enough I can't make her she walks bad and rips though shoes like crazy her posture is also bad that Dr keep commenting on it I really wish we would have continued. Please try to get your baby help I see how amazing ei is my daughter is doing so well in the area we pushed.

amother
Cerise

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 9:29 am
Tries2BGoodMom wrote:
I have a very similar situation with my 8 month old baby. She always flips over from her stomach to her back right when I put her down. She doesn’t roll over from her back to her stomach and doesn’t even turn sideways even when I put interesting things next to her. I called EI and have an evaluation next week for her. This is a very interesting thread for me to read! Does anyone have any ideas of how to get her to roll sideways? Thanks!

That could potentially be torticollis, but you also might want to get baby’s hearing and vision checked.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics