Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Architect in Brooklyn for Home Addition

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 1:58 pm
Hi,

I'm looking for an architect for plans / permits for an extension to our house. Can anyone recommend / provide contact info / approximate costs?

Thank you!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 2:46 pm
Additionally, I'm interested to hear your thoughts... what's the worst that could happen if you do an extension without an architect / permits? Any experiences? Horror stories? Positive outcomes?
Thanks a lot.

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 2:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Additionally, I'm interested to hear your thoughts... what's the worst that could happen if you do an extension without an architect / permits? Any experiences? Horror stories? Positive outcomes?
Thanks a lot.

It depends where in the house. In the back of the house most probably nothing. In the front I would have to think.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 3:11 pm
Thanks.
This would be in the front of the house...

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 3:57 pm
Anyone have a recommendation?

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 4:54 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks a lot.

we tried, got caught, turned into a huge headache. OTOH, it's a headache to get permits too so I don't know. Depends where you live, who your neighbors are etc. IME, it pays to do things the right way to start with.

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 6:23 pm
amother [ Sapphire ] wrote:
we tried, got caught, turned into a huge headache. OTOH, it's a headache to get permits too so I don't know. Depends where you live, who your neighbors are etc. IME, it pays to do things the right way to start with.

I know somebody who tried. She hired a contractor and had to fire that contractor-not a Jewish guy. He got mad and reported her. She had to take permits and go through the whole 9 yards. It ended up costing her a fortune cuz she had a huge fine to pay + money for permits. OTH, my brother managed very nicely without permits. Major gut + small extension in the front. On 49-12/13 somebody tried redoing just her steps and was caught. This is all in boro park. So go figure. You might win you might lose.

Amarante

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 7:10 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks a lot.

You can have problems selling a house if you have an extension without permits. Any decent real estate lawyer will do a search especially since an extension would be noticeable.

You can be required to tear down something that did not have appropriate permits especially if it was done in violation of zoning laws or Code requirements

You can have substandard work done because in my experience a contractor who would be willing to work without appropriate codes and permits is not trustworthy. I did a major down to the studs remodel and my GC and designer pulled all necessary permits and everything was inspected and completely in compliance with Code. I knew that everything that was done was good workmanship and was safely done.

An architect can provide you with the best use of space so that the final product will be as good as possible.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 7:36 pm
An addition with no permit? Chances of you getting caught are very high. Permits and inspections are a hassle and an additional expense, but the permits protect you from dishonest or incompetent contractors, and ensure that your addition will meet code.

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 10:03 pm
Amarante wrote:
You can have problems selling a house if you have an extension without permits. Any decent real estate lawyer will do a search especially since an extension would be noticeable.

You can be required to tear down something that did not have appropriate permits especially if it was done in violation of zoning laws or Code requirements

You can have substandard work done because in my experience a contractor who would be willing to work without appropriate codes and permits is not trustworthy. I did a major down to the studs remodel and my GC and designer pulled all necessary permits and everything was inspected and completely in compliance with Code. I knew that everything that was done was good workmanship and was safely done.

An architect can provide you with the best use of space so that the final product will be as good as possible.

A contractor that works without a permit does not equal substandard work. So many, so many contractors work like that. Right off the bat I can list at least 2-3 contractors who I've seen work done that are amazing and would do it. It depends what the extension is. Is it one room, is it on 2 floors, it all depends.

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 10:45 pm
I live in the five towns and completely gutted a kitchen and bathroom and did not pull a permit and had no issue. If you are making any additions, especially a
Front one you need a permit. I live in a more up and coming area and a lot of people are doing work on their homes and sdf archetichture is very popular. He is a frum guy and supposed to be fantastic. Google for more info.

Amarante

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 6:46 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
A contractor that works without a permit does not equal substandard work. So many, so many contractors work like that. Right off the bat I can list at least 2-3 contractors who I've seen work done that are amazing and would do it. It depends what the extension is. Is it one room, is it on 2 floors, it all depends.

So a contractor who doesn't pull permits and doesn't have work inspected is someone you trust not to cut corners in other ways? It's one thing to hire someone for work that is essentially what a handyman does and quite another when one is adding an extension or doing other major renovation or building work.

In my experience, licensed electricians and plumbers don't work like this for major renovations.

In order to properly protect myself when I did a major remodel I did the following as well as having my designer who was extremely knowledgeable on construction act as project manager for me in terms of inspecting the work frequently. I also had photographs of the entire process so that I would have proof if something wasn't done properly.

I verified that my GC had a current GC license

I verified that my GC had up to date Worker's Comp Insurance - otherwise you could theoretically be sued by a worker for an injury

I verified that my GC had up to date Liability Insurance and I was named as an Additional Insured. This makes sure that the GC's insurance continues throughout the renovation because the insurance company notifies if they cancel

I had a contract in which the GC was required to pull permits; build in accordance with Code and in accordance with the plans and work was guaranteed
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries