Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
The Price We Pay
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 9:21 am
Quote:
August 1, 2020

Dear Friends:

It is with great sorrow and our deepest regrets that we announce that Lifeplex Health Club is closing its doors forever. We have tried to hold on but the complete loss of any income for 6 months and the lack of information whatsoever from Governor Cuomo on health club re-openings have left us no other path.

[Snip]

Lifeplex Management

If you live in Monsey, there's no way you haven't heard or ever been to Lifeplex: a massive gym, spa, and pool with separate men's and women's fitness rooms, exercise classes, and separate men's and women's hours at the pool and saunas. In addition to servicing adults of all ages and stages, including seniors, Lifeplex was also a frequent destination for the special needs community who enjoyed working the gym machines and splashing around in the pool. The closure of Lifeplex is a huge blow for the physical and mental health of a large part of the Monsey Jewish population.

I am pregnant and need my daily swim.
My father works 55 hour work weeks and needs his erev Shabbos sauna.
My neighbor who is a SAHM enjoyed the social aspect of her Zumba classes.
Malky H., a lovely young woman with Down's syndrome, looked forward all week to her twice a week swim with a Yedei Chessed volunteer.
Mrs. L is nearing 90, requires a walker and an aide, and her doctor encouraged her aqua aroebics.

Thank you, Cuomo. Crying

livinginisrael

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 9:26 am
So upsetting! Im not from monsey but this is just sad

amother
Chocolate

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 9:26 am
Yeah I was so sad to hear this! It's a Monsey icon. Where will the girls go roller skating????

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 9:44 am
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
Yeah I was so sad to hear this! It's a Monsey icon. Where will the girls go roller skating????

Sport-o-rama is still open, I believe.

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 9:47 am
Wow. I feel so sorry for people that their priorities (‘need’ a gym?! Really? Benefit from? Yes. NEED? No) are so topsy turvy. Gyms are luxury items. We don’t need it. We need safety and public health life but we don’t need the gym.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 9:49 am
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
Wow. I feel so sorry for people that their priorities (‘need’ a gym?! Really? Benefit from? Yes. NEED? No) are so topsy turvy. Gyms are luxury items. We don’t need it. We need safety and public health life but we don’t need the gym.

Yeah, people need the gym for the very same public health.

tigerwife

People need income. I feel terribly for the employees of this business who are left with nothing and the owners who had to watch their life’s work crumble. Because their business isn’t essential, there is no sympathy?

amother
Indigo

The health price is painful.

I know ppl
- missed regular medicine shots in eye bec dr office was closed and now blind in that eye
- older women living alone broke foot over pesach and didn’t go for x-rays until 4 weeks later
- an older man who lives alone - was active, smart - after being isolated for so long (even with regular visitors) has stopped communicating.

It’s so sad to see the toll on ppl.

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 9:50 am

Do you realize how many ppls income depend on this?
How much debt the owners probably have?
How this will probably ruin them financially forever?

Do we need new shoes or clothing.”? No!
But my heart goes out to the store owners and suppliers and manufacturers who are small business owners and take on huge debt the beginning of the season.
This takes a huge toll on ppl emotionally.

keym

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 9:51 am

Not from Monsey so no horse in the race.

But what about the owners who just lost their business and possibly their life savings?
What about the workers who lost their jobs?
(And might I remind you unemployment is barely a living wage nowadays.)

amother
Green

Yes some people NEED a gym. For physical or mental health. Having a pool to swim in helped my mom lose weight and stay off meds she would have needed otherwise.

mommy3b2c

I feel so bad for you.

amother
Mint

Actually, many people do need gyms for their health.

I didn't do the studies on whether they could open at reduced capacity with marked off machines and wipes, etc. I'm not even saying whether or not the stay-closed order is wrong. But it's definitely an example of how short term measures will affect people's long term health. People's osteoporosis may be progressing, people with joint issues who need to exercise in a pool may have joinr deterioration, etc.

honeymoon

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 10:08 am

Whether gyms are essential to peoples health is debatable. Granted. But when we saw that liquor stores and abortion centers stayed open throughout, while honest, hard working businesses like these were left to suffer it makes us wonder if they had our best interests in mind at all during this difficult period. And you are talking about priorities. Ha.

Amarante

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 10:21 am
I feel terrible for the owners of any business who have gone under just as I feel terrible for unemployed people or all of us who are dealing with the impact of Covid. Some of us are suffering more it is true and I personally feel luckier than many even if my life has of course been adversely impacted.

However, unfortunately a gym is NOT a safe place during the pandemic. It is an environment in which the Covid virus can rapidly spread among the people using the gym. People are exercising - therefore they are breathing hard and panting.

It is the same reason why indoor dining in restaurants is not allowed in much areas following best recommendations. It is not possible for there to be a safe environment since there are people in an enclosed area with masks off for a prolonged period of time. You cannot eat with a mask on. Restaurant workers and owners of restaurants have had catastrophic impact on their livelihood.

While I don't think that buying clothing per se is essential for most people, clothing stores in NY were opened at a certain phase because it is theoretically possible to operate a clothing store following safe guidelines in terms of social distancing and masking.

shabbatiscoming

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 10:26 am
I dont know the specific place the op is talking about but this is very sad. So many big and small places have closed, around the world, because of no or too little business.
Think of all of the employees that have no job now. This is happening all over. Very very sad.

Amarante

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 10:31 am
honeymoon wrote:
Whether gyms are essential to peoples health is debatable. Granted. But when we saw that liquor stores and abortion centers stayed open throughout, while honest, hard working businesses like these were left to suffer it makes us wonder if they had our best interests in mind at all during this difficult period. And you are talking about priorities. Ha.

An abortion is a legal medical procedure and since there are time constraints involved, having access to an abortion is a critical medical need and not an elective procedure.

One can debate whether a liquor store is essential but a determination was made that in the absence of bars being open, liquor should be sold. To many people, even non-alcoholics, having alcohol helps with relaxing.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 10:39 am
Amarante wrote:
An abortion is a legal medical procedure and since there are time constraints involved, having access to an abortion is a critical medical need and not an elective procedure.

One can debate whether a liquor store is essential but a determination was made that in the absence of bars being open, liquor should be sold. To many people, even non-alcoholics, having alcohol helps with relaxing.

Do you even hear yourself?

In the same thread we have a poster lamenting that I think gyms are a need and another poster saying that alcohol helps relax. If prioritizing relaxation is important, all the more so physical and mental health. The twisting yourself in a pretzel and justifying unjustifiable decisions by our public officials are incredibly unbelievable.

You do realize that Rockland County has been in Phase 4 since the beginning of July, that there is no Phase 5, and yet our King Cuomo still hasn't set forth guidelines for gyms to re-open?

amother
Chocolate

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 10:44 am

Yes, people NEED a gym and people NEED a pool, for their health. For some it's not a luxury, it's a necessity. For many special needs people, a pool is a must. For many people, a pool and gym is crucial for their health. My mom has some health issues and she needs to swim every day to alleviate her symptoms, she even goes swimming in the 9 days. Shabbos and yom tov she's usually in agony. She must go swimming daily, for her and many others, it's a need.

Amarante

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 10:58 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Do you even hear yourself?

In the same thread we have a poster lamenting that I think gyms are a need and another poster saying that alcohol helps relax. If prioritizing relaxation is important, all the more so physical and mental health. The twisting yourself in a pretzel and justifying unjustifiable decisions by our public officials are incredibly unbelievable.

You do realize that Rockland County has been in Phase 4 since the beginning of July, that there is no Phase 5, and yet our King Cuomo still hasn't set forth guidelines for gyms to re-open?

You are taking my comment completely out of context.

Gyms are a high risk venue in terms of spreading. Even in areas with relatively low community spread, gyms are among the last venues to open. In California they were opened and then closed very quickly.

Liquor stores are relatively low risk. I don't drink except the very occasional drink so I have no vested interest in a liquor store opening. But it is possible to purchase liquor or socks or shoes or furniture with relatively low risk because it is easy to follow social distancing protocol and wear masks and in general there is less possibility of a high viral load and also people within those venues are not panting and inhaling as they would be in a gym.

I never claimed that the closures make perfect sense but the reality is that a gym is a high risk place in a Covid pandemic and a liquor store is relatively low risk. Bars still remain closed because that is a high risk venue.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics