Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Dyscalculia
Previous  1  2

marina

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 9:25 pm
you have to figure out what the root of the dyscalculia is. Is it memory? Is it understanding the word problems? Is it speed?

amother

Post Thu, Apr 25 2013, 10:14 am
amother with the first grader here. Marina, I just wanted to tell you that there's not always that kind of root. Would you say someone with dyslexia who sees the letters backwards has a memory issue? The psychologist who did my daughter's extremely thorough evaluation found no memory problems etc and actually told me that this is a true learning disability, not a problem doing math that comes from another issue. She said there was a very large difference between what she was predicted to be able to do, based on one test, compared to what she was actually able to do in another. If there were other things involved, it would show up in other subjects as well. My daughter is doing wonderfully in all other areas in school (including reading) and only has a problem when it comes to the very simple adding and subtracting that they're doing now. She is also a hard worker and it's not because she doesn't try or anything like that. As I recall, she also had a lot of trouble with learning how to count when she was younger.

marina

Post Thu, Apr 25 2013, 12:56 pm
amother wrote:
amother with the first grader here. Marina, I just wanted to tell you that there's not always that kind of root. Would you say someone with dyslexia who sees the letters backwards has a memory issue? The psychologist who did my daughter's extremely thorough evaluation found no memory problems etc and actually told me that this is a true learning disability, not a problem doing math that comes from another issue. She said there was a very large difference between what she was predicted to be able to do, based on one test, compared to what she was actually able to do in another. If there were other things involved, it would show up in other subjects as well. My daughter is doing wonderfully in all other areas in school (including reading) and only has a problem when it comes to the very simple adding and subtracting that they're doing now. She is also a hard worker and it's not because she doesn't try or anything like that. As I recall, she also had a lot of trouble with learning how to count when she was younger.

1. People with dyslexia who see letters backwards are a tiny fraction of people with dyslexia.

2. Memory issues are sometimes concerns in both reading and math troubles, but not always. It could be any number of things- processing speed, language, spatial relations, etc. That's why I said you need to look for the underlying reasons.

3. Telling you it is a "learning disability" is sort of meaningless unless you address what are the root problems of that learning disability. How is her brain wired differently? What are her strengths and how can they be used to bolster her weaknesses? How should her teachers present the material best to help her retain it?

4. No one said your child has memory issues or doesn't try hard. Why are you addressing this to me?

Dina2018

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 9:22 am
bump
dear imas, are there any new apps/ ideas / therapies that worked on you or on your kid? would be glad to hear anything...

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 9:35 am
I know a great app! It's called a "calculator". Very Happy

I have such bad dyscalculia. It's much more like dyslexia, because when I look at numbers they float around the page, and in a string of numbers I get them backwards, swapped, or completely mixed up.

For example, if I'm waiting for the number 14 bus, I have to be careful not to get on the 41. I have to carry my phone number in my wallet to show people when they need it. I can't remember it, and even if I did I'm probably say it wrong.

The funny thing, is that I've always been excellent in things like geometry and statistics. Things that are visual, with shapes, plots, or graphs. Abstract numbers without a visual to "anchor" them, escape me completely.

I also had a huge problem giving the right amount of money to a cashier yesterday. The total was an odd number (at least to me), and I was fumbling through 100's, 200's, 50's, 20's, and getting the wrong combination of bills. It took me 4 tries to get it right. Grocery shopping should be a basic life skill, not a math test! TMI

oneofakind

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 11:57 am
Mother of DS age 20 with learning disabilities, high IQ. Can't get ahead because of dyscalculia. No tutoring or remediation in or out of the school system helped- no memorization of times tables or basic sums stay in his head. I would love to know of a program that would help him get through higher education.

Dina2018

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 5:59 am
dear Imas, thank you for your replies! I am grateful for any ideas, stories, chizuk...

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 6:52 am
DD has dyscalcula and dysgraphia 🤨.
She has life skills and is a friendly personable girl. She participates in class discussions, is part of all extra curricular activities, learns very well orally and tries harder than anyone I know so she doesn’t stand out too much. She is embarrassed that she struggles academically but covers up for her struggles by shining in other areas.
School is very, very hard for her.
She will be fine as soon as she finishes school.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children