Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
The Price We Pay
Previous  1  2

amother
Brown

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 11:13 am
Amarante wrote:
You are taking my comment completely out of context.

Gyms are a high risk venue in terms of spreading. Even in areas with relatively low community spread, gyms are among the last venues to open. In California they were opened and then closed very quickly.

Liquor stores are relatively low risk. I don't drink except the very occasional drink so I have no vested interest in a liquor store opening. But it is possible to purchase liquor or socks or shoes or furniture with relatively low risk because it is easy to follow social distancing protocol and wear masks and in general there is less possibility of a high viral load and also people within those venues are not panting and inhaling as they would be in a gym.

I never claimed that the closures make perfect sense but the reality is that a gym is a high risk place in a Covid pandemic and a liquor store is relatively low risk. Bars still remain closed because that is a high risk venue.

If pools werent essential then the public pools wouldnt be open today. The fact is that all of these closures are political and have nothing to do with the pandemic or safety of anyone. We cant even have a party on a boat without the owners being arrested or charged even though it took place outdoors. And in California they are threatening to shut down the water and electricity of anyone who has a party (even if its outdoors). All this while the protests can go on and on and on without consequence. Its sickening that you defend these criminal politicians who do whatever they want without regard to anyone they are hurting. But I guess none of this is affecting you (yet) so its fine. I hope you have someone to stand up for you when they come for you for whatever sin they decided that you committed. Enough with the tyranny.

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 11:28 am
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
Do you realize how many ppls income depend on this?
How much debt the owners probably have?
How this will probably ruin them financially forever?

Do we need new shoes or clothing.”? No!
But my heart goes out to the store owners and suppliers and manufacturers who are small business owners and take on huge debt the beginning of the season.
This takes a huge toll on ppl emotionally.

Yes it’s so much more about this than anything else. And the laws make no sense. The gym I go to is allowed to give dance classes and operate as a dance studio with limited capacity. The authorities were more than happy to work with the owner as they think these laws are ridiculous. I believe that at the start of the pandemic, people had no idea what to do and a complete shutdown was in order whole they figured things out. I don’t think it started as so political, but by now it is completely out of hand. And I am someone that was strictly social distancing for months with no complaints, and still almost always wear a mask even in places where I’m the only one. But the answer in places like NY and NJ is not to destroy the economy, which is exactly what’s happening. Not to mention that the unemployment add on is over and a new one hasn’t yet been put into place, which means people have no idea how they will pay their bills (if they were managing until now). BH my husband started a new job, but hasn’t yet received his first paycheck, and we don’t have my unemployment add on to rely on so for the next few weeks we will be digging into savings. Those who haven’t been affected financially just don’t get it.

southernbubby

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 11:57 am
Amarante wrote:
An abortion is a legal medical procedure and since there are time constraints involved, having access to an abortion is a critical medical need and not an elective procedure.

One can debate whether a liquor store is essential but a determination was made that in the absence of bars being open, liquor should be sold. To many people, even non-alcoholics, having alcohol helps with relaxing.

My understanding was that liquor stores were open so that people would not go through withdrawal which can be dangerous.
In many countries, women suffered terribly from lack of reproductive choices during the pandemic so even though the Torah restricts abortion, it was understood that we could not debate this at the moment.
Lifeplex was an important part of staying healthy for many frum people. They don't go jogging or walk dogs in my neighborhood. Many of them have treadmills in the house but the swimming was the exercise of choice for the elderly. The winters here keep many of them indoors and Lifeplex was where they got together for some healthy activities and it's an enormous loss to our community.

southernbubby

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 12:01 pm
I also think that some of the economy would have suffered even if nothing had shut down due to illness or fear of catching illness. Some of the continued shut down of small businesses was pointless.

amother
Gray

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 12:02 pm
OP there is chatter that the property was in talks about being sold anyway...so it could be covid is a good excuse to speed things up...

amother
Tangerine

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 12:05 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
Wow. I feel so sorry for people that their priorities (‘need’ a gym?! Really? Benefit from? Yes. NEED? No) are so topsy turvy. Gyms are luxury items. We don’t need it. We need safety and public health life but we don’t need the gym.

My father is not well. Since he stopped going to the gym his mental and physical health really declined. A gym is not a Luxury

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 12:07 pm
Amarante wrote:

While I don't think that buying clothing per se is essential for most people, clothing stores in NY were opened at a certain phase because it is theoretically possible to operate a clothing store following safe guidelines in terms of social distancing and masking.

By the times stores were opened ppl didn’t want the merchandise anymore. Like the Jewish stores. Once shavous passed ppl weren’t spending money on Shabbos shoes or clothing anymore. The season had psssed. I’ve heard some stores are planning on trying to sell their merchandise next year. But in the meantime haven’t been able to cover their post dated checks. Which is having s cascading affect to suppliers, mufacturers. All small business owners.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 12:08 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
OP there is chatter that the property was in talks about being sold anyway...so it could be covid is a good excuse to speed things up...

The property was sold a couple of years ago, but as long as the gym remained profitable, it was renting the building and kept on going. 6 months of no income put them in der erd.

exaustedmom

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 12:10 pm
https://www.nydailynews.com/co......html

exaustedmom

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 12:13 pm
The numbers are fantastic. We are below 1% for weeks. No deaths bh.

REOPEN THE ECONOMY

What is it takes years to go down to a perfect zero? Will we live in limbo? Not work? No school?

At this point we should try to avoid crowds, continue washing hands and if you are sick, stay away from people.

But why is NY not reopening stores, gyms etc?

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 12:23 pm
Oy!! This is terrible! I cry when a business closes under normal circumstances. This is just awful Crying I wish the owners well and hope they recover completely!!

amother
Forestgreen

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 12:24 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
Wow. I feel so sorry for people that their priorities (‘need’ a gym?! Really? Benefit from? Yes. NEED? No) are so topsy turvy. Gyms are luxury items. We don’t need it. We need safety and public health life but we don’t need the gym.

Please explain how keeping the gym closed is keeping people alive????? Seriously????? We've been going about our business here for quite some time and bh are mostly ok. Does this justify keeping certain businesses closed? Covid is mostly gone in NY yet there are those choosing live in hysteria.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics