Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
I Need tips for packing a house/ moving

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 12:37 pm
I am moving right during peak Tishrei hectic times. Right now in the summer I dont work kids are in camp so I have 4 weeks ahead of me of quiet time.
I want to be super organized and pack now so I will be calm tishrei time, but I dont want to be so organized that I have to rummage through boxes to find what I might need because I already packed it away.
I am looking around my house and feeling overwhelmed right now and dont know where to start. everything I look at I think- oh Im gonna need that I cant pack it away yet. Toys for the kids- hmm theyll need something to play with. dishes- well I still need to cook. How do I do this?
anyone have any organizational and or packing tips?

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 12:42 pm
Start with things like extra sets of linen you don't use, winter coats you don't need yet, winter clothes or other clothes you have in storage, dishes you don't use or centerpiece dishes, vases etc. Pesach dishes, winter blankets, hobby or collection items, can all be packed. If you have a big collection of books you can do that.
The rest I'd do like a week and a half before, clothing two days, kitchen two days, everything else 2 days. Leave out one set of linen (whatever is on the bed) and 3 or 4 sets of clothes per person.
Good luck with the move!

trixx

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 12:42 pm
There are so many past threads on this.
First thing is purge, purge, purge. Get things out of the house. It won't be a big deal to pack whatever left. Use all your time now to sort and then donate, trash or maybe sell.

amother
Smokey

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 12:57 pm
Best tip: Pay the movers to do it

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 12:59 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
Best tip: Pay the movers to do it

ha ha yeah no.

to the poster who said there are past threads can you find me some ?

pause

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 1:02 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
Start with things like extra sets of linen you don't use, winter coats you don't need yet, winter clothes or other clothes you have in storage, dishes you don't use or centerpiece dishes, vases etc. Pesach dishes, winter blankets, hobby or collection items, can all be packed. If you have a big collection of books you can do that.
The rest I'd do like a week and a half before, clothing two days, kitchen two days, everything else 2 days. Leave out one set of linen (whatever is on the bed) and 3 or 4 sets of clothes per person.
Good luck with the move!

I used extra sets of linen to pack up dishes, silver, and other fragile items.

To pack in advance: seforim, picture albums, most dining room stuff can be packed up, seasonal items, most toys except the 3-4 most used items. As moving date gets closer, you can pack up more, leaving only bare essentials out.

Most important tip: Label every box with its contents and which room the movers should place it in. You can get labels or use different color duct tape per room. Your unpacking will be way easier.

On moving day itself: Don't remove the linen from the bed. Just roll up the sheet with the blanket, pillow, and even PJ's inside. This way, when you get to your new house, first thing to do is unrolll the sheets and presto - beds are made. You won't have energy to do them the last thing before going to bed.

amother
Smokey

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 1:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
ha ha yeah no.

to the poster who said there are past threads can you find me some ?

Why? It’s worth pricing out. It’s not that much more $

ra_mom

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 1:13 pm
Movers

Make sure you get a signed contract. The first time we moved we got a quote and the guy nickle and dimed us and gave us the usual moving spiel that we had more stuff than they thought bla bla bla and we weren't prepared. Not worth it! The next time we used a super official company and got a signed contract with a higher bid but it was sealed signed and delivered and we knew they wouldn't ask for an extra dime. It appears to cost more at first, but it's not that much more and the piece of mind of knowing and not dealing with the unknown was much less stressful.

Packing

Start now. It always takes longer than you think it will.

Start with the least used items / rooms like the dining room silver (drop that off at a relative's house along with jewelry and special documents, so you don't need to worry about them during the move)... and work your way through the house. Dining room should be finished first.

Purge purge purge as you go.

Stack all the sealed boxes on the side, either in another room or against the wall behind the table.

Color code each box and then put that color sticker on each room's door frame so movers put each box in the right place when you arrive.

In addition to color coding, I wrote little descriptions on each box. It helped a lot when we first got there and were looking to unpack the important items first. When we were packing we didn't always know what would be important so the descriptions were helpful.

Use paper towels to wrap dishes but it will cost a lot.

If you're moving on a Sunday, aim to finish packing before shabbos. Packing always takes longer than you expect. Try to get invited out for the shabbos meals.

Make sure you have fresh linen on the beds before moving (you can change them before shabbos), roll everything up neatly on each bed and place in a garbage bag, and when you get to the new place, all you need to do is put on the fitted sheet and then lay out the comforter that's already encased in the duvet and covered pillows. Even better, the last time we moved we bought inexpensive mattress zipper protectors for the move and they were very helpful. That way the dirty moving plastics and blankets didn't touch our mattresses. We kept the sheets on the mattress so we wouldn't have to redo the beds. And we just ripped the protectors off when we were done.

Books & sefarim are very heavy and can bust open the boxes. Pack thoughtfully, filling halfway and then adding lightweight items or use small boxes that don't hold so much. Speak to the movers ahead of time about what they suggest for the Shas. Sometimes they want you to leave them out and will tie them in twine or wrap them in heavy duty saran wrap when they get there.

Ask your mover ahead of time if they will provide wardrobe boxes. This way you can leave all your hanging items as is and they will transfer to the hanging boxes and then to the new closets when you get there.

Keep a separate bag of items you'll need as soon as you get to the new home with Windex, paper towels, hammer, food, etc.

tweety1

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 2:19 pm
I got many great tips on here. Color code every room to each box. Label clearly each box what it contains. Exp: puzzles, books and some toys, dish cloths, dishes, and some utensils. The more organized you'll pack the easier it will be to unpack. It's hard work but so so worth it. BTDT! Seforim dh bought by home Depot the huge Saran wrap and wrapped them in that- was a very smart idea. Every offer you get for help first say yes. Then you'll see if and what you need. First accept. Meals, unpacking, watching the kids.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 4:37 pm
thanks all!
and than you to the poster who found the other threads .

amother
Salmon

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 7:26 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am moving right during peak Tishrei hectic times. Right now in the summer I dont work kids are in camp so I have 4 weeks ahead of me of quiet time.
I want to be super organized and pack now so I will be calm tishrei time, but I dont want to be so organized that I have to rummage through boxes to find what I might need because I already packed it away.
I am looking around my house and feeling overwhelmed right now and dont know where to start. everything I look at I think- oh Im gonna need that I cant pack it away yet. Toys for the kids- hmm theyll need something to play with. dishes- well I still need to cook. How do I do this?
anyone have any organizational and or packing tips?

One good tip I got was, start with one corner in one room then move to the second corner, third corner until you finish that room. Otherwise you never finish,

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Aug 08 2020, 2:18 pm
Give yourself permission to have a meltdown or two. Exploding anger

Researchers have found that moving to a new house is as stressful as getting married, divorced, or having a new baby. It doesn't matter if the change is good or bad. You are flooded with the same amount of adrenaline and cortisol either way.

You could be moving from a one bedroom apartment into a mansion. Your brain doesn't know that - it just knows that change is scary, so there will be freak out moments. It's totally normal, so don't think you are doing anything wrong if you have some down days or panic attacks. Give yourself a little extra self care, and be kind to yourself.

Force yourself to take breaks now and then, and have a nice cup of tea. Daven for strength and calmness, and then get back to work. Taking breaks is just as important as packing, so don't skip them!

Moving is physically demanding, as well as stressful. so make sure to eat extra healthy. Lots of salads, dark green vegetables, and lean meats. Go easy on sugar and carbs. You think you need all that extra fuel for energy, but it will just make you feel worse. If you need a treat, stick to a few pieces of dark chocolate (the best quality you can find.) Try to drink green tea instead of coffee if you can. The anti-oxidants will help speed up cell recovery.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics