Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Stimulus check question

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 7:16 pm
I know the second stimulus check hasn't passed yet and that the specifics are still TBD. However, my question applies to the first stimulus check, and potentially to the second one (if it does pass and guidelines are the same).

Why do adults get the full $1,200 but dependent children only get $500? Each additional adult in a household has at least the potential to contribute to the income, through salary or unemployment. Children can't contribute to income, but of course still cost money to support. By way of example, I am a single mother of two children. I got $2,200 in the first check. Of course I am very grateful for this, but I also have a hard time understanding why I should not be getting the same amount as a family of three that includes two adults and one child. What am a missing?

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 7:31 pm
Single mom of two here as well... I can relate.. kids are not cheap... but at least we get something! Just validating that its rough!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 7:36 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
Single mom of two here as well... I can relate.. kids are not cheap... but at least we get something! Just validating that its rough!

Thank you! Yes, definitely don't want to seem ungrateful. What I got was certainly really helpful. And everyone is struggling these days. Just kind of curious what the logic is.

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 7:38 pm
I guess it’s more for the adults who should be making more money but can’t because of covid.. an adult has more expenses than a child officially...

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 8:08 pm
I've always struggled with this. A single mother with 1 kid is considered the same size family as that of 2 adults for government benefits. They have a much harder time bringing in income because they can't share the childcare burden, yet they're not given any less income to bring in. So even a very low paying job in that size family might not be enough to qualify for Medicaid, SNAP, etc

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 8:11 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
I've always struggled with this. A single mother with 1 kid is considered the same size family as that of 2 adults for government benefits. They have a much harder time bringing in income because they can't share the childcare burden, yet they're not given any less income to bring in. So even a very low paying job in that size family might not be enough to qualify for Medicaid, SNAP, etc

Yes, great point as well on a similar note to my question. I don't qualify for any benefits.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 8:22 pm
I have no answer for you but I can tell you they made so many horrible mistakes with their planning, not just single parents. For all of us who file married filing jointly when one partner isn't a US citizen yet we still owe taxes on everything, we didn't get a single penny last time around. My four children and I are US citizens and have been since birth. Dh isn't but the government happily taxes his income along with mine. None of us got anything at all.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 11:11 pm
You can’t really ask why on the tax codes. It’s not like hashkafa where there’s always an answer. The stimulus was meant to help replace lost income. It was setup by humans in haste. It has many flaws.

I’m sorry you feel gypped.

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 11:26 pm
I have loads of respect to single parents, and have no idea how they even get by on a day to day basis.
That being said, the stimulus check was meant to replace unearned income. Since an adult usually has income, they replaced that with their $1200 check. Kids don't usually have income, but the gov did factor that they are an expense and gave a $500 check for each of them.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 11:31 pm
Hugs, OP.

But the good news is there’s a good chance the second checks will give $1200 for every dependent (up to 3 per family)

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 11:43 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
I have loads of respect to single parents, and have no idea how they even get by on a day to day basis.
That being said, the stimulus check was meant to replace unearned income. Since an adult usually has income, they replaced that with their $1200 check. Kids don't usually have income, but the gov did factor that they are an expense and gave a $500 check for each of them.

I hear that. I was thinking that the extra unemployment benefits was the part that was designed to replace lost income (even though of course for many it didn't replace all their lost income), but actually there must be many people who lost income in the form of a decrease in salary and/or business volume, but are not actually unemployed. I can accept that more adults in the household = more potential for a loss of income due to covid. But I certainly won't complain if they give $1,200 for dependents this time around Very Happy

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 11:47 pm
A bigger question is I have more than four children and the stimulus only went to up to four children? Why is that fair? Each child cost why did they stop at four children?

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Aug 06 2020, 11:48 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
A bigger question is I have more than four children and the stimulus only went to up to four children? Why is that fair? Each child cost why did they stop at four children?

It didn't. I have 5 children and got $500 per kid.

amother
Teal

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 12:23 am
I only got for four chicken and I called to find out why and they said that it stopped at four in lucky I got for four many people kinky got for three children

amother
Orange

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 2:46 am
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
I only got for four chicken and I called to find out why and they said that it stopped at four in lucky I got for four many people kinky got for three children

Translation: I only got for four children and I called to find out why, and they said it stopped at four. I'm lucky I got for four - many people only got for three children.

--- from your friendly auto-correct corrector

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 8:28 am
amother [ Teal ] wrote:

How old are your kids? The first stimulus check didn't limit amount of dependents but older teens and babies they didn't know about were not given (you'll get for the baby next year if that's the case)

Some of the proposals for the second stimulus package includes capping dependents at 3.

amother
Teal

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 8:32 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
How old are your kids? The first stimulus check didn't limit amount of dependents but older teens and babies they didn't know about were not given (you'll get for the baby next year if that's the case)

Some of the proposals for the second stimulus package includes capping dependents at 3.

My oldest is 15 my youngest is 2. It was for a few children I didn’t get for. I should have qualified for all of them but they said no one got for more than four children bec only four children can fit on one page in the form.

amother
Cerise

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 8:33 am
I didn’t get for my kids at all and none of the usual excuses work for me. They just didn’t give it. And I won’t be getting it until I file my taxes in 2021.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sat, Aug 08 2020, 10:47 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
My oldest is 15 my youngest is 2. It was for a few children I didn’t get for. I should have qualified for all of them but they said no one got for more than four children bec only four children can fit on one page in the form.

I'm sorry, that makes no sense.
Do you usually file taxes, claiming all your kids as dependents? You have them added on an additional page, no big deal.
I wish I could help you get to the bottom of this!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics