Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Is my elderly mom eligible if she has 70k a year pension?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Aug 08 2020, 9:21 pm
my elderly mom needs a 24 hr home health aide, would she be eligible
for medicaid(and medicaid would pay for the aide) if she earns 70k a year from her pension?

mom lives in new york city.

does anyone have experience with this?

amother
Olive

Post Sat, Aug 08 2020, 9:24 pm
Not a chance: Medicaid threshold is far below that

amother
Mustard

Post Sat, Aug 08 2020, 9:54 pm
There are definitely options. I would advise you to consult with an attorney who specializes in eldercare to guide you through the process. If you have an agency that you have in mind to provide the needed care, you might want to ask them for a referral. Initiate the process now. It should take about a month. That works for home care/assisted living care. Nursing home coverage through Medicaid is a different ballgame (with a 5 year look back). A good eldercare attorney will outline all the steps. Many will give a free consultation. Good luck.

out-of-towner

Post Sat, Aug 08 2020, 10:03 pm
I work with this a lot. You can feel free to PM me, although I'm not a lawyer or financial advisor, I work with a Medicaid home care program.

New York state (I don't know about other states) has a LEGAL way to allow people who make over the Medicaid threshold to be on Medicaid. The concept is called a Pooled Trust and basically what happens is that any income above the threshold goes into a trust. The money in the trust can be used for the individual's needs (within the rules of the trust) but is irrevocable and does not go to the family once the person dies.

As I said, I do work in a Medicaid based homecare program so feel free to PM me for more information. I am currently on maternity leave though, so might not be able to answer right away.

amother
Crimson

Post Sat, Aug 08 2020, 10:30 pm
OP, Outa Towner is correct. But at $70,000 per year + any other income she might earn such as social security, you need to assess what makes the most sense. If your mother can afford to pay for her aides and other costs of living out of pocket, that might make more sense than a pooled trust.

Also, you don't say what state your mom is in. Keep in mind that NY recently changed its laws so there will now be a lookback period for transfers made as of October 1, 2020 for home care (aka community) Medicaid. Iow, you should speak with an attorney who specializes in Medicaid planning asap.

amother
Mustard

Post Sat, Aug 08 2020, 11:32 pm
https://www.ohelfamily.org/?q=.....vices

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 12:10 am
Thank you to everyone for replying.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics