Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Am I the only one...
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 12:32 am
Who dislikes those clear plastic bins everyone seems to use to organize their pantries and toy closest? I feel like it makes the closets look so boring with no personality. I also feel like I am a complete anomaly.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 12:35 am
I must not look in peoples pantries or toy closets! What are you referring to?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 12:36 am
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
I must not look in peoples pantries or toy closets! What are you referring to?

There’s another thread in this, which prompted this post. I’m referring to clear plastic bins to store toys etc.

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 12:38 am
I think boring is neat and organized. What would you prefer instead?

lilies

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 12:41 am
I like neat and organized but a toy closet should be colorful and fun. It's nice to take out a board-game in its original cardboard box. Monopoly, Rummikub and chess should not all look alike.

amother
OP

Surplus wrote:
I think boring is neat and organized. What would you prefer instead?

I use those woven bins from target. Or the fabric ones with designs. Or let’s say for things like cereal, I keep in the original box instead of pouring into a plastic container (I also don’t store food in plastic for health reasons, but that’s something else.)

number

Lol I use those bins for everything. How else would you store toys?
Or clothes, supplies, food etc

number

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 12:43 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I use those woven bins from target. Or the fabric ones with designs. Or let’s say for things like cereal, I keep in the original box instead of pouring into a plastic container (I also don’t store food in plastic for health reasons, but that’s something else.)
I get some of the cute containers but I usually like to see what’s inside. And they’re all the same size so they look neat and stack nicely. And they’re cheap.

number

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 12:44 am
Also the personal organizers say to use clear

That’s probably the main reason

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 12:47 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I actually have the woven and fabric ones from target for the closets. To keep socks, hair accessories,etc.
For toys I like with a cover to be able to pile one on top of the other, and clear to be able to see what’s inside. But no rules. Everyone gets what they prefer.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 12:49 am
number wrote:
Also the personal organizers say to use clear

That’s probably the main reason

I know but all the pictures they post just look so generic and lack any personality. In my opinion.

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 12:50 am
Sorry. Can't validate. I love the clear, plastic box, clean and neat closet look! It makes my brain feel organized as well. Colorful feels messy and woven feels dirty with kids around.
I like woven for my linen and towels but not for toys.
But, hey! Do what works for you!

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 12:52 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I know but all the pictures they post just look so generic and lack any personality. In my opinion.

You seem very creative! Not everyone appreciated boring containers even if they are neat. My closets are probably very dull to you. You do you, and leave the boring containers for the nerds.

number

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 12:52 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Its minimalism. Minimalist is on trend right now. I personally like it because I’m minimalist by nature anyway.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 12:55 am
number wrote:
Its minimalism. Minimalist is on trend right now. I personally like it because I’m minimalist by nature anyway.

What’s funny is I am totally a minimalist and my house is not overly furnished. But minimalist doesn’t have to = boring.

I guess so far I am the only one Very Happy

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 12:56 am
Surplus wrote:
You seem very creative! Not everyone appreciated boring containers even if they are neat. My closets are probably very dull to you. You do you, and leave the boring containers for the nerds.

I am creative, but my decorating style is not overly creative or loud. It’s pretty classic and as another poster called it, minimalist.

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 12:59 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am creative, but my decorating style is not overly creative or loud. It’s pretty classic and as another poster called it, minimalist.

You’re not overly creative but more creative than the boring clear container users. Happy medium.
All figured out! Very Happy

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 1:24 am
Where do they sell these clear plastic bins? Thanks 😊

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 1:25 am
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
Where do they sell these clear plastic bins? Thanks 😊

I get it at the container store. But there are more suggestions on the other thread.

seeker

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 2:05 am
I have personality just about everywhere else. But inside the closet is all function, being able to fit everything in and yet find what you want. Want to know my personality? Look at the clear bins in my closet and you can see in an instant what percentage of my possessions are building toys. Super fun, in plain clear boxes.

My rummikub and monopoly don't look alike because they came in rectangular boxes that stack well and aren't much bigger than the contents. Chess is an old set whose box was probably gone before I was born, so the board is in a pile of boards and the pieces are in...a clear box that is very easy to find.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics