Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
What was the latest you moved a child out of your room?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Aug 08 2020, 11:02 pm
What was the latest you moved a child out of your room? If it wasnt because you had another child, why did you wait till that age?

amother
Chocolate

Post Sat, Aug 08 2020, 11:08 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What was the latest you moved a child out of your room? If it wasnt because you had another child, why did you wait till that age?

My friend had twin 5 year olds in her room (life in a 1 bedroom) lack of space.

Rappel

Post Sat, Aug 08 2020, 11:14 pm
11 months. I needed to sleep, and I was waking up every time she coughed or moved. We set up a nursing chair in the kids room, and put her crib there. Instantly better sleep.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sat, Aug 08 2020, 11:15 pm
Six months was the longest. Due to lack of space. The others were around two months, which I highly recommend for the sake of everyone’s sleep, including the baby’s.

amother
Maroon

Post Sat, Aug 08 2020, 11:26 pm
Longest was six months. That was because he was such a good baby I didn't mind him in my room. He was sleeping through the night since he was less than a month old and it didn't really make a difference to me where he was actually going to sleep.

amother
Sienna

Post Sat, Aug 08 2020, 11:26 pm
I have a 4 year old in my room. I dont want her sharing with the almost 2 year old and have them wake each other up all night or early morning

amother
Taupe

Post Sat, Aug 08 2020, 11:36 pm
So far 3 years... but will probably put up a little curtain or something so he doesn’t see me when first thing when he wakes up early morning and demands to be taken out when he can easily stay in his crib for another little bit or go back to sleep.

amother
Ecru

Post Sat, Aug 08 2020, 11:37 pm
7 weeks.
Even those 7 weeks, I put her in a porta crib on wheels, so during the day she was in my room and at night she was right outside my door so I can have the AC on.
I settled her in her nursery before going back to work. I really don't see any reason for a child to be sleeping in the parents room, even if they're 'only' a few months old.
(I don't have a big house, I converted my living room to a nursery in preparation for her joining our family.)
It can also be that after sharing my body for so many months during my pregnancy, I just want my own space back.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 12:00 am
I need to move my 12 month old out already Can't Believe It any tips? My older kids were much easier but she eats so often at night that the thought of having to stand up every time she cries makes me nervous

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 12:05 am
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
I need to move my 12 month old out already Can't Believe It any tips? My older kids were much easier but she eats so often at night that the thought of having to stand up every time she cries makes me nervous

I found that when I moved them out, they typically woke up less. They sense you are there, and therefore wake up more often. I usually like to move them out of my room between 7-10 months for this reason. (My oldest was in my room until about 18 months due to lack of space.)

Motherhood

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 12:27 am
amother [ Jade ] wrote:

My recommendation: put up a portable room divider so you can hear her when she cries, but she can’t see you and cry forever. When she cries in the middle of the night, you wait 5 whole minutes before going to feed her. She may fall back asleep and reduce feeding/wake time .

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 12:37 am
amother [ Jade ] wrote:

OT but why is she eating so much overnight? 12 months is definitely old enough to sustain herself without needing to be fed (multiple times overnight)

onlyone

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 12:57 am
4 months

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 1:48 am
My son was almost 3. We had been in a one bedroom apartment and moved to a house so now he has his own bedroom. It was nice having our own space again but honestly I also liked having him with us. It as cute being able to look over and see his little sleeping self. I'm one of the parents who enjoys when my child wakes up in the middle of the night and climbs into my bed (he hardly ever does this).

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 2:07 am
2.5 years, due to lack of space (1 bedroom).

But over the years I've understood that it's good for them to be in our room, it gives a sense of security. Currently our 21.5mo is still in our room, and we're really only annoyed that she's in our bed, too. We're going to move her out because 2 babies in our room isn't practical and they would wake each other up, so we need to do that soon (before the baby comes) so she doesn't feel replaced by the baby. Otherwise I think we would let her stay, not sure till when.

The shortest we'd do is about 12 months, as per recommendations.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 2:09 am
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
OT but why is she eating so much overnight? 12 months is definitely old enough to sustain herself without needing to be fed (multiple times overnight)

Some babies do need to eat in the middle of the night. Each baby is different.

It also depends - if the mother is nursing but the baby is in daycare receiving bottles it may well be that the baby actually does need to nurse in the middle of the night, to make up for the loss of breastmilk during the day. Yes, even at 12 months, even if the baby is eating 3 full solid meals. First of all the baby still needs breastmilk, and second, there is the emotional aspect which is no less important for baby's development.

There's nothing wrong with a 12mo nursing multiple times in the middle of the night. Some babies need it. Please don't spread false information.

anonymrs

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 2:11 am
I think I once read the AAP recommends keeping baby in your room until 6 months, something to do with lowering risk of sids. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

anonymrs

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 2:14 am
Here you go, for whoever said there's no reason.
https://www.nichd.nih.gov/heal.....educe

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 2:23 am
Don’t know yet,
She’s not married yet. Wink

banana123

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 3:44 am
anonymrs wrote:
I think I once read the AAP recommends keeping baby in your room until 6 months, something to do with lowering risk of sids. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

They recommend at least six months, but preferably one year.

"Infants should sleep in the parents’ room, close to the parents’ bed but on a separate surface (room sharing). The infant’s crib, portable crib, play yard or bassinet should be placed in the parent’s bedroom for at least 6 months but preferably a year."

https://www.aap.org/en-us/advo......aspx
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics