Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
How to push trhough shabbos?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Aug 08 2020, 7:22 pm
Shabbos is so long for me . I never used to complain about shabbos because honestly it's my best day of the week and still is. Just one problem. I have NO company whatsoever! My neighbors that used to be so friendly and outgoing all became reserved people. For me it's very hard since I need to have atleast one or two people I can smhooze with or meet up . That's not happening right now where I live. I have a small family and they go with my husband to Shul so basically I'm by myself, And shabbos is too long for me to spend by myself . I do enjoy my husband and spend time with him too. I just definitely need more people around and I'm feeling so sad when shabbos is over, feeling I accomplished nothing or I feel very isolated and missing socially out . I'm not looking here for validation, I'm rather asking if anyone else feels this way and how do u push trhough shabbos without seeing any people outside your home , since For me it's such a challenge!

amother
White

Post Sat, Aug 08 2020, 7:25 pm
Same issue here. I probably told my DH 5x this shabbos that shabbos is way too long. No company, kids are self occupied. How much can I read? Or eat? No ideas just validation. I can’t go anywhere myself because can’t leave kids alone and nowhere to go with them.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sat, Aug 08 2020, 7:35 pm
Can you start a Tehillim group in your home?

Chana Miriam S

Post Sat, Aug 08 2020, 7:41 pm
We spend our day reading, playing games with our two adult children and going for a very long walk. My parents usually join us for one meal but no other guests.

Cmon be nice

Post Sat, Aug 08 2020, 7:51 pm
Why did your neighbors become reserved? Are they scared of corona?

sunnys

Post Sat, Aug 08 2020, 8:00 pm
I feel the same way! Just validating ur not the only one. I read books, went on long walks played games with my kids and still kept looking at the clock. Normally I would host but since corona finances have been very tight.

Mama Bear

Post Sat, Aug 08 2020, 9:43 pm
I sleep in in the morning, read in the afternoon, play games with the kids, and maybe go out with the kids late afternoon. I never have company or neighbors etc.

giselle

Post Sat, Aug 08 2020, 9:45 pm
Do you like reading? I look forward to relaxing and reading on shabbos.

nchr

Post Sat, Aug 08 2020, 9:52 pm
Do you like to sleep? When our kids go to cousins or grandparents for Shabbos DH and I literally spend the entire Shabbos sleeping (except when he is in shul or learning in the afternoon but I sleep then too) There is somethibg very special about sleeping relaxing in quiet.

amother
Lemon

Post Sat, Aug 08 2020, 9:56 pm
If I have a good book I eat sleep and read. It’s not so bad and in a way it’s relaxing. I got a list of good books and I keep getting more from the same author and books that are recommended as close to the style and subject of this author

rivkam

Post Sat, Aug 08 2020, 10:00 pm
OP I can totally relate. I like a little bit of time to read and be alone but I mainly find being with other people truly relaxing and exactly what I need at the end of the week. We dont really have room for guests anymore but we do go away for shabbat alot.

Tzippy323

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 8:14 pm
I can totally relate. Only, I have even more of a problem because I am an almana and 5 of my children have married and one has moved out. To say that Shabbos is long doesn’t even start to express what I go through. Don’t get me wrong, I love Shabbos, but now there is almost no contact with anyone on Shabbos due to covid, and I am at high risk, so no place to go. I found that eating my seudah later in the day helps a bit. Some of my sons send me divre Torah’s that I print out and read at my meals. I also make myself a really special treat for shalosh seudos, and another for Malave Malka. It’s hard, no question, but b”H, the days are starting to get shorter.

ExtraCredit

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 8:39 pm
Tzippy323 wrote:
I can totally relate. Only, I have even more of a problem because I am an almana and 5 of my children have married and one has moved out. To say that Shabbos is long doesn’t even start to express what I go through. Don’t get me wrong, I love Shabbos, but now there is almost no contact with anyone on Shabbos due to covid, and I am at high risk, so no place to go. I found that eating my seudah later in the day helps a bit. Some of my sons send me divre Torah’s that I print out and read at my meals. I also make myself a really special treat for shalosh seudos, and another for Malave Malka. It’s hard, no question, but b”H, the days are starting to get shorter.

Ouch! That must be tough! Do you enjoy to read? Perhaps treat yourself to reading material every week.

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 8:53 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Shabbos is so long for me . I never used to complain about shabbos because honestly it's my best day of the week and still is. Just one problem. I have NO company whatsoever! My neighbors that used to be so friendly and outgoing all became reserved people. For me it's very hard since I need to have atleast one or two people I can smhooze with or meet up . That's not happening right now where I live. I have a small family and they go with my husband to Shul so basically I'm by myself, And shabbos is too long for me to spend by myself . I do enjoy my husband and spend time with him too. I just definitely need more people around and I'm feeling so sad when shabbos is over, feeling I accomplished nothing or I feel very isolated and missing socially out . I'm not looking here for validation, I'm rather asking if anyone else feels this way and how do u push trhough shabbos without seeing any people outside your home , since For me it's such a challenge!

I started learning the parsha every week with English translation, saying tehillim, taking a nap and before you know it the day us over. Try to do something worthwhile and spiritual and you won’t feel so bad.

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 8:55 pm
Tzippy323 wrote:

Do you have the book On My Own But Not Alone?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics