Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Does hashem want different things from different communities
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

salt

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 1:17 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
[u]

How do you explain that of the millions of babies born every year, there doesn't appear to be any statistical connection to mothers that didn't keep nidda, challah, and candles, dying during birth. I realize chazal said it, but how do we understand it?

I suppose also as I was saying before, chazal said it in those days to emphasize the importance of those 3 mitzvot. It certainly makes me be more careful about it.
When I'm late lighting candles I think about that mishna, so it does the trick.

I assume there are explanations, maybe it means more in the spiritual sense.
Like the pasuk that says that someone who honours their parents will live a long life - but there are people who honour their parents and don't live a long life. It's more in the spiritual sense, or in olam haba.

But I think mainly, chazal say it just to emphasize the sheer importance.

yksraya

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 2:12 am
Every person has his/her own tafkid in this world. So, each person was given unique circumstances. Everyone belongs to different communities, different families, has different struggles etc etc. Even within the same communities or same family, each person serves hashem differently, based on his own understanding of what hashem wants of him now.

Sometimes by following a certain set of community rules, or rabbinical guidance. Sometimes by following mesora. Sometimes by asking daas torah. Sometimes by doing what one thinks is right in this given situation.

Hashem knows what is in our hearts and in our thoughts. Hashem knows our struggles and our shortcomings. He created us as human beings and not as angels. The world is a beautiful colorful place. It's not all black or white.

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 4:37 am
dankbar wrote:
Different things are expected from different people, yes.

If people say chassidish people are frummer, then it also comes with more obligation too. Chassidim are machmir & do more than halacha, this is the way it was set up to serve Hashem to the utmost, not just bare bones halacha. The chumros are not halacha though, it's like getting schar for hiddur mitzvah.

And yet, there are talmidei chachamim who will look at the chassidish lifestyle and see areas where basic halacha - not chumra - is not properly observed. For example, davening after zman tefila, or healthy women eating on fast days. There are wonderful things about chassdius, but to claim that chassidim do everything plus is just not true. There are plenty of rabbonim who see violations of halacha in the practice of chassidus. Perhaps a little modesty (the real kind) is in order. Not everyone looks at chassidim as the pinnacle of observance.
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics