Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
High Strung Children, Mom Up in Arms
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 11:23 am
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
Don't know where u live, so we can't help with doctor. but I would make sure they are on a great antibiotics (amoxicillin doesn't cut it) and try motrin round the clock for all of them for a week. You should be able to see some improvement from those two things alone.
And also, test mom and dad for strep as well (every family member with overnight culture, so all are treated at once).

I live in New York.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 1:15 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
Don't know where u live, so we can't help with doctor. but I would make sure they are on a great antibiotics (amoxicillin doesn't cut it) and try motrin round the clock for all of them for a week. You should be able to see some improvement from those two things alone.
And also, test mom and dad for strep as well (every family member with overnight culture, so all are treated at once).

Can you please explain the Motrin for a week? What is it for? What’s the dosage? Is it safe? Is there a dr that can guide me with this? I’m in NY but would consider telehealth appointments.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 1:17 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
This is very common amongst gifted children. Being gifted in one area while having difficulty in another. Do you mean "balances it out" that they use their strengths to compensate in the areas in which they have weakness? Sometimes the weakness is in an academic area or it can be behaviour or socially.

Op, as I read your post I find myself nodding and thinking....My kids have very similar issues. You are not alone. While it's not a very common issue, and people sometimes can't understand and relate to it, it is a very real and difficult issue. Having gifted kids is a blessing, but it doesn't mean that it is all peaches and cream. It comes with its own set of challenges.

Thanks for the chizzuk!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 1:19 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
I have been there...my saving grace had been getting support for me and my family from the Guttmann sisters in New York. They helped my child with anxiety years ago but during the treatment they helped me so now with covid and me struggling with my two younger ones, I’ve reached out them and they have been a rock. They have a way of identifying the problems and being solution oriented - not just generalized. Good luck and keep us posted. 💗

I’ve heard of them for sensory challenges. Bh none of kids have anxiety issues, except when they have strep. I’m glad you found your ‘rock’! Hope to find mine too:)

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 1:25 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
I am a big fan of Sara Chana Radcliffe.
You can hire her privately

Friends & family sign up at dailyparentingposts.com/sign-up

With Chutzpah you educate. “We don’t speak this way” “that is unacceptable “ and then “If you feel you should get first, say, Mommy please can I have first”

Oh, and it’s not a quick fix. You will educate until they are 18 1/2 for sure.

I get daily posts from Sara Chana Radcliffe. They certainly kept me afloat during Covid. She has a way of prioritizing what’s important in life. I was thinking of connecting with her, but would need more recommendations of people that were successful with her, so thanks for your recommendation.
With the chutzpah that’s exactly what I do. I educate or restate in nicer way and have them repeat after me. I feel like I need to come down more tough, not sure how though. I need to regain control over this place.

yksraya

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 2:21 pm
Oh wow! You surely got your hands full.

You seem like an amazing mom doing an amazing job. Your kids seem like very smart very curious active kids.

The chutzpa you are explaining is a problem with todays generation. It is well known that the generation before mashiach comes there will be extreme chutzpah. There isn't much to do about it. It is better to ignore the chutzpa than to do anything about it, as noticing the chutzpa, will give the child negative attention. Rather pick the time they are respectful and compliment them then for being so respectful, well behaved, or wtvr the good behavior is.

The fighting is one of the hardest aspect. Do not engage in the fight or take sides. If things get heated, seperate them fron each other, or try to engage them in other activity.

The getting into trouble by doing all those cute curious stuff that you currently don't think is cute, but one day you will laugh at the memmory of them: that is something that requires your all.
Buy them activities that will spike their curiosity. If they get into trouble, do some explaining as why said thing was dangerous or wrong or wtvr, and explain the other side of the coin so that child can understand why the other party (school etc) was bothered by the behavior. Communication and explaination goes a long way.

Lastly, but most important: make sure to have some time for yourself to recharge so that you have energy for your very active brood. Take cleaning help. Have your dh or a teen or whoever is available to help you, take your kids to the park so that you take care of yourself. Take babysitters often and go out for a little. You are in survival mode till they get a bit older. Do what it takes to stay sane.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 10:14 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Can you please explain the Motrin for a week? What is it for? What’s the dosage? Is it safe? Is there a dr that can guide me with this? I’m in NY but would consider telehealth appointments.
motrin will temporarily take down inflammation, which is what’s causing their behavioral symptoms. Immune system mistakenly attacking brain instead of strep bacteria. It will not however, take care of the source of the inflammation, which is the infection. That is why you would also need antibiotics.

bigsis144

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 11:27 am
No advice, just empathy for you OP. I’ve got a big berry-purple bruise on my shoulder from where my 7.5 year old bit me yesterday while I was trying to restrain him from kicking his brother (who was retaliating with a broomstick).

It’s exhausting and lonely and progress is glacial.

Hug
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics