Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Help with which form for teen unemployment

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 2:25 pm
My dc’s friend said he got $13,000 because he wasn’t able to work this summer due to having someone at home who’s sheltering in place,high risk and needing to quarantine.
I went to the dept of labor site but they have a lot of different forms and I’m not sure which to fill out. Anyone know? TIA

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 3:35 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My dc’s friend said he got $13,000 because he wasn’t able to work this summer due to having someone at home who’s sheltering in place,high risk and needing to quarantine.
I went to the dept of labor site but they have a lot of different forms and I’m not sure which to fill out. Anyone know? TIA

Huh? How so? And how so much money??

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 4:12 pm
That doesn't seem right.
For unemployment you need to be employed and then furloughed/terminated.
It is also based on a percentage (plus the $600) of how much you were making before. If you find out that it is accurate and legal, please LMK, I want in for my 19yo.

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 4:13 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
That doesn't seem right.
For unemployment you need to be employed and then furloughed/terminated.
It is also based on a percentage (plus the $600) of how much you were making before. If you find out that it is accurate and legal, please LMK, I want in for my 19yo.

Likewise. If this is legal, I'd like to know.

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 4:21 pm
What??? I also want free money!! Where do I apply??

Last edited by amother on Sun, Aug 09 2020, 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 4:21 pm
if you were unable to work , due to covid, u can file for unemployment.
I think it is less complicated if u file a claim by phone. They will ask you for the last date of employment.
If you didn't work, and you couldn't work due to covid, than you are also eligible. You can also ask them to backdate, for when you were eligible.

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 4:23 pm
I would hold on to that money and not use it. There will be a point that cases will be reviewed and it will affect tax refunds and people will end up owing or having to return money.

Sake

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 4:24 pm
Which country? This sounds like Canadian information

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 4:32 pm
If you ever worked in the USA or you can prove that you were looking for a job you can be approved for unemployment and for the 600 a week.

I don't know why not. Go to Dol.ny.gov (Not labor.ny.gov) create an account and fill out the application.
You will be able to backdate it once you're approved.

You can also call 1(888)2098124 to get your application rolling.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 4:34 pm
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
I would hold on to that money and not use it. There will be a point that cases will be reviewed and it will affect tax refunds and people will end up owing or having to return money.

Yes, be prepared. If you don't have enough taxes withheld you will end up owing money next April.

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 4:34 pm
My teen dd got unemployment and it’s perfectly legal as far as I know.
Although it was nowhere near $13k, it was about $3k and she’s thrilled!
Basically, IF your dc was supposed to work this summer (ie my dd was supposed to be a counselor for both halves) AND they couldn’t due to corona (ie my daughter’s camp didn’t open) then they are eligible for the weeks they would have been working. Even WITH the extra $600/week pandemic money (which was only for July anyhow), I don’t see how anyone is earning anywhere close to $13k unemployment for 8 weeks of the summer!

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 4:36 pm
If you say you we’re looking for a job but couldn’t go work due to covid you can also claim unemployment
Loads of kolel guys and sem girls can claim

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 4:49 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
If you say you we’re looking for a job but couldn’t go work due to covid you can also claim unemployment

Be careful! I can’t imagine it won’t raise red flags if you filed you were looking for a job and did not start working once businesses reopened... unless your child is actually starting a job in September be careful before claiming to have been looking for one...

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 6:45 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:

How can kolel guys and girls in seminary claim? It’s only for people who WOULD HAVE been working if corona wouldn’t have happened. If you would have been learning in kolel or seminary... how did corona impact your job?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries