Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Anyone backing out of sending daughter to seminary in EY
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
Black

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 8:46 am
It's interesting how everyone is stating their opinion based on the circumstances that they live in as absolute fact. I live in Brooklyn, I see a lot of the materialism spoken about here and I'm part of a large extended group of friends that laugh at it. We just don't stand out much so you think we don't exist. But there are a lot of young, very Brooklyn bred families that live simply, make sacrifices for Torah, and still don't stand out as shlumpy or not holding it together.

I still think it's easier to have this mentality in Israel but it exists in Brooklyn in a very strong way, much more than we give it credit for

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 9:50 am
Any update on the seminary opening? Are the girls being told to buy tickets?

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 12:11 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
It's interesting how everyone is stating their opinion based on the circumstances that they live in as absolute fact. I live in Brooklyn, I see a lot of the materialism spoken about here and I'm part of a large extended group of friends that laugh at it. We just don't stand out much so you think we don't exist. But there are a lot of young, very Brooklyn bred families that live simply, make sacrifices for Torah, and still don't stand out as shlumpy or not holding it together.

I still think it's easier to have this mentality in Israel but it exists in Brooklyn in a very strong way, much more than we give it credit for

I'm sure you do but I doubt you are living in a tiny 80 meter (861.113) 3 bedroom apartment with 8 kids, no car, kids wearing hand me downs who feel totally normal because all your friends are doing the same.
Someone posted about living in a tiny 1 bedroom in LKWD - there are many people who as individuals sacrifice for Torah in the US. What I don't see when I go back and when I was growing up in yeshvish LKWD was the community as a whole sacrificing the way the charedi community as a whole sacrifices in EY. I think that if you are not part of simpler communities the first time you are exposed to the concept of having kids grow up healthy, happy, and frum but very simple is in Seminary.
It was for me - I had only known the Bais Yaakov of Lakewood (HS) model of "ritzy yeshvish" or "kollel with rich grandparents" and had though that the only way to do kollel was with a ton of support. EY opened my eyes - I know that there are people like this in the States - but I wasn't exposed to ppl. out of my daled amos until Seminary. It was an amazing experience for me (BTW I never went to camp and worked from 9th grade to help pay+ scholarships - my parents didn'y pay more then they payed for HS tution).

And yes the materialism in the american yeshvish communities AS A WHOLE is out of control. When you live there you don't realize how crazy it is. Every few years it gets worse.

amother
Lemon

Post Sun, Aug 09 2020, 1:01 pm
Back to the original opening question of this thread,

is anyone else backing out and not sending their daughter to EY? (other than those who have already answered here)
If you haven’t backed out, do you know of others who actually have? (relatives, friends...)

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 10:10 pm
Considering that Israel is going to be in lockdown at least for another month or two is anyone not sending their daughter now to Israel the week after succos?

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Oct 06 2020, 11:24 pm
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
Considering that Israel is going to be in lockdown at least for another month or two is anyone not sending their daughter now to Israel the week after succos?

It's not clear if those seminaries will be able to open. The one that I know of does not yet have entry permits for the girls.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Oct 07 2020, 12:05 am
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
It's not clear if those seminaries will be able to open. The one that I know of does not yet have entry permits for the girls.

As far as I understand, no student visas are being processed during the lockdown. So openings will be delayed. It will probably take about a week after things open up for the visas to be ready.

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Oct 07 2020, 4:40 am
But someone seminaries already Have their visas and the girls all have tickets and Parents paid for the tickets for the week after succos.

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Oct 07 2020, 4:47 am
Does anyone have a daughter there now? How are girls doing? I can’t imagine what it’s like being locked in a building for weeks on end......

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Oct 07 2020, 5:07 am
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
Does anyone have a daughter there now? How are girls doing? I can’t imagine what it’s like being locked in a building for weeks on end......

I do, and it's not quite as bad as all that for her. Her sem is on the nevey campus and they are allowed to go all over har nof by foot. It's definitely a different experience than my other daughters had, but she's making friends much quicker because they're all in the same place all the time. Beezrat hashem things will get better and they will get to do more touring (they already toured a bit after quarantine and before the lockdown).

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Oct 07 2020, 5:41 am
My daughter's friends who are there are miserable. And please don't condescendingly tell me homesickness is "normal" like someone did on another thread. There is nothing remotely normal about this situation. They have been trapped for weeks with no end in sight. They weren't allowed to visit family members in Israel (even after quarantine and before lockdown) There is serious talk about coming home. I don't understand why anyone would knowingly pay $25,000 to send their daughters into this situation. It's an embarrassment that the seminaries didn't close down for this year.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Oct 07 2020, 5:41 am
So sorry blonde my heart goes out to you and your daughter

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Oct 07 2020, 5:44 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
So sorry blonde my heart goes out to you and your daughter

Thank G-d my daughter didn't go! She made thr decision to stay home and now she is so happy she did. She had many friends who did go. Most of them because they didn't know what else to do this year Banging head (really, they told her that!)

Post Wed, Oct 07 2020, 5:57 am
My DD is there. She looks and sounds happy. Her complaints are standard, the food could be better, the rooms are small, blah blah. She really hasn’t complained about the limitations. She’s managing and being innovative.

Michlalah left last week, so some schools were able to leave during lockdown.

amother
Green

Post Wed, Oct 07 2020, 6:09 am
amother [ Purple ] wrote:

I have a dd there now and she's very happy. Bidud was hard, but it was only the first two weeks. Even with the lockdown they're allowed to walk around their neighborhood and go shopping. They just cant visit family.

The seminary took them on a couple of trips in the two days between bidud and lockdown, which helped.

I've spoken to a few mothers of girls who are there in different seminaries, some are more happy than others, nobody said their dds are miserable. I definitely didnt hear about anyone bringing their dds home.

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Oct 07 2020, 6:19 am
amother [ Green ] wrote:
I have a dd there now and she's very happy. Bidud was hard, but it was only the first two weeks. Even with the lockdown they're allowed to walk around their neighborhood and go shopping. They just cant visit family.

The seminary took them on a couple of trips in the two days between bidud and lockdown, which helped.

I've spoken to a few mothers of girls who are there in different seminaries, some are more happy than others, nobody said their dds are miserable. I definitely didnt hear about anyone bringing their dds home.

My daughter says that her friends in one particular sem are miserable because the admin is not allowing the girls to leave the building, and if they even try, the madrichot tattle on them. It seems to me that the issue there is not so much the lockdown, but the nasty attitude of the admin. A few girls from a nearby seminary walked over to visit them (totally legally -- you can travel up to 1 km and their sem is closer than that) and the admin screamed at them and threatened to call the police if they didn't leave.

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Oct 07 2020, 6:27 am
You can walk one kilometer, but you can't visit people in their homes. The seminary was right to keep the visitors out.

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Oct 07 2020, 6:31 am
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
You can walk one kilometer, but you can't visit people in their homes. The seminary was right to keep the visitors out.

I concede that point, but she didn't have to scream at them and threaten to call the police. She could have suggested that they meet with their friends in the yard or a nearby park.

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Oct 07 2020, 6:32 am
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
They have been trapped for weeks with no end in sight. They weren't allowed to visit family members in Israel (even after quarantine and before lockdown)

I really don't understand why people are complaining about this. Yes, it's not the way things normally are, but this isn't a normal year. The information was clearly available before anyone came, and the girls knew it would be this way. The seminaries were all very clear that visiting other homes (family or not) would not be allowed allowed at the beginning of the year, so I'm not sure why anyone was expecting to visit family.

Almost all seminaries are allowing the girls out in the immediate neighbourhood, so her sister could always come and meet her in a park for an hour or so if they want to see each other. That's what a lot of Israelis are also doing.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Oct 07 2020, 6:42 am
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
My daughter says that her friends in one particular sem are miserable because the admin is not allowing the girls to leave the building, and if they even try, the madrichot tattle on them. It seems to me that the issue there is not so much the lockdown, but the nasty attitude of the admin. A few girls from a nearby seminary walked over to visit them (totally legally -- you can travel up to 1 km and their sem is closer than that) and the admin screamed at them and threatened to call the police if they didn't leave.

It's not legal to go visiting. Sorry.

They can meet in a park but the seminary is totally right to say "no visitors and if you make trouble we'll call the police." If more people called the police on visitors we wouldn't need a lockdown...
Page 6 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics