Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Siblings wedding Lakewood

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 9:16 am
Please don't answer if you will just be telling me that covid is over in Lakewood

Siblings wedding in Lakewood soon. I'd be coming in from OOT where we still social distance and wear masks. Have not gotten covid BH. My kids are in camps and will be going to school IYH. I'm so uncomfortable with the lax attitude in lkwd, and going to wedding and exposing us to hundreds of new people. But am I really gaining anything by skipping it if so many people in my community are traveling back and forth from Lakewood these weeks?

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 9:29 am
You could wear masks and spend time in lobby or outside.
Food at shmorg is served in individual portions. Drinks are sealed.
I was at wedding recently. One side was oot. Many young ppl were hanging out outside wearing masks. And trying to wish kallah Mazel tov while SD (was hard).
Personally I live in Lakewood. Young and healthy. I only go to weddings at the very beginning to wish Mazel tov even though kids are in camp. Still not comfortable with all adults close like that.

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 9:33 am
Same situation here!
I wore a mask, and spent the entire wedding in the grooms suite. I was only there for pictures, chuppa (stood in the back), and dancing with the kallah for 2 seconds. And I washed my hands thoroughly after. No eating at the wedding, no eating until I thoroughly cleansed and was back to where I was staying.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 9:35 am
I live in Lkwd and I’m also uncomfortable with what’s going on here...

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 9:51 am
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
Same situation here!
I wore a mask, and spent the entire wedding in the grooms suite. I was only there for pictures, chuppa (stood in the back), and dancing with the kallah for 2 seconds. And I washed my hands thoroughly after. No eating at the wedding, no eating until I thoroughly cleansed and was back to where I was staying.

Even if I manage to go something like this, there is no way my kids would...

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 9:55 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Even if I manage to go something like this, there is no way my kids would...

I brought my kids for pictures and then sent them back to where I was staying.

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 10:25 am
Are you sure others in your community are going to be careless like that. My parents live out and they're being careful, as are their neighbors. I guess it depends on your community's attitude.

Personally I've been ditching all simchos, including one that I really belonged at, oops. I don't have any close family though a few got married when Lakewood and NY were also on lockdown. Those were very small and I felt more comfortable.

Even if covid is "over in Lakewood" people from all over will be at the wedding so that doesn't help much.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 10:29 am
If you are young and healthy you might look back in a few years and regret that you “missed” your siblings wedding by hanging out in the grooms suite.

I would be as careful as I can, but not let fear take away my enjoying the simcha. My pediatrician is not concerned with covid in kids- if they’ve been in camp they can surely participate in the wedding.

The reality is that weddings have been taking place for months in Lakewood and there have not been any concerning uptick of cases, hospitalizations etc.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 10:31 am
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
If you are young and healthy you might look back in a few years and regret that you “missed” your siblings wedding by hanging out in the grooms suite.

I would be as careful as I can, but not let fear take away my enjoying the simcha. My pediatrician is not concerned with covid in kids- if they’ve been in camp they can surely participate in the wedding.

The reality is that weddings have been taking place for months in Lakewood and there have not been any concerning uptick of cases, hospitalizations etc.

If OP is young and healthy she may look back at her younger self with pride that she protected less-healthy vulnerable people by her non-attendance and/or mask wearing.

keym

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 10:37 am
My husband went to a wedding in Lakewood just last week and he told me there were close to 3 dozen close family members in gowns, up-dos and masks.
I would speak to your Dr. Mine says that wearing the mask and frequent hand washing is 95% of the really necessary precautions. When I asked him regarding a different simcha, he was very comfortable with out of town guests wearing masks the whole time and not SD.
He recommended that they take their food or drink to a side room, eat, drink, wash up and replace the mask. Then return to the main ballroom.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 10:59 am
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
If OP is young and healthy she may look back at her younger self with pride that she protected less-healthy vulnerable people by her non-attendance and/or mask wearing.

The less healthy and vulnerable are going to be spending their time in the grooms suite. Should everyone find little suites to stay in and not participate in the simcha? This is a siblings wedding- not a neighbor or friend. Look at the statistics. Don’t panic or live in fear- it’s dangerous!

NotInNJMommy

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 11:30 am
One of the opportunities that Jewish weddings afford are Sheva Brochas celebrations. It may be possible to have additional celebrations with smaller groups of folks in person by spreading it throughout the week to ensure everyone is included.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 11:40 am
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
The less healthy and vulnerable are going to be spending their time in the grooms suite. Should everyone find little suites to stay in and not participate in the simcha? This is a siblings wedding- not a neighbor or friend. Look at the statistics. Don’t panic or live in fear- it’s dangerous!

It isn’t panic or fear. It is common sense about how the virus spreads. She might be healthy as are the guests. The healthy guests including OP might leave and then pass it on to someone else who isn’t so healthy. It is about caring for others not just about one’s own health. It isn’t about panic or fear, but being nice to your neighbor.

Ny100k

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 1:05 pm
I'm so uncomfortable with the lax attitude in lkwd, and going to wedding and exposing us to hundreds of new people. -If you are uncomfortable, then don't, but don't knock Lakewood in the process.
But am I really gaining anything by skipping it if so many people in my community are traveling back and forth from Lakewood these weeks? If you social distance and wear a mask in your town, then yes. But what about your kids in camp?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics