Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
How to put baby on hard floor

muss

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 3:22 pm
I don't have any carpet just hard floor. I put a blanket on the floor when I want to put the baby down. But she's turning over and starting to move around a little and then bumps her head on the floor. Also if she would try to crawl the blanket will move with her so she won't be able to. What do you do?

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 3:29 pm
Buy a mat in 99 cent store or amazing savings for starters ....when baby starts to move off the mat you will slowly get more comfortable with baby on the floor.

#Happymom

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 3:31 pm
Can you buy a baby mat? Normally they wont slip on a hard floor. Otherwise a blanket is fine, if you're still uncomfortable, then maybe put out a quilt.
Btw you will notice that as your baby rolls over more, they will learn that the floor is hard and so most times, they'll roll over softly. It's amazing how much they can figure out!!
Depends on the child, some outgrow mats by a few months anyhow. You'll see when your baby is more confident on the floor.
And, once they're crawling, they dont need a mat - they'll be all over the place anyhow☺

dancingqueen

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 3:32 pm
You can get a foam mat for the baby, there’s tons of cute ones.

mommyhood

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 4:04 pm
Can you put an area rug down in the living room area or where ever the baby hangs out? You can get something inexpensive if its not something you want long term.

Hashemlovesme1

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 4:18 pm
You can get a mat like this. It’s great for rolling over and just starting to move around, and it’s a fun toy for later on too! My two year old enjoys this kind of thing even now. He loves to build it himself.
https://www.amazon.com/Balance.....r=8-6

https://www.amazon.com/Tadpole.....psc=1

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 4:31 pm
I bought a big area rug for my baby once he started moving around.

muss

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 4:52 pm
Thanks. I put my baby down in different rooms depends where we are. I could put those mats down but then my other kids will be stepping on them so it won't stay clean and it takes up so much space

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 4:57 pm
Ikea has awesome mats that fold up and can be put away easily. They are infinitely better than the mats that roll up and take up a ton of space.

Babies not only need a soft surface, but something that gives them traction, so they can push against it and practice crawling movements. You can't do that on a smooth floor.

If the other kids take their shoes off, it won't be a problem.

geemum

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 5:00 pm
I think foam mat is a great idea. you can put a play gym on top.

tweety1

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 5:19 pm
muss wrote:
I don't have any carpet just hard floor. I put a blanket on the floor when I want to put the baby down. But she's turning over and starting to move around a little and then bumps her head on the floor. Also if she would try to crawl the blanket will move with her so she won't be able to. What do you do?

Once they start moving around I stop the blanket. Nothing will happen to your baby from little bangs when she rolls over.

tweety1

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 5:21 pm
muss wrote:

Once they start moving around I stop the blanket. Nothing will happen to your baby from little bangs when she rolls over.
Eta: once they start moving around I like to stop the blanket cuz if they feel the hard floor is gives them better traction and I find that they work harder in trying to move therefore accomplishing more.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 6:03 pm
On my Israeli tiled floors I put my babies without socks. They get better traction barefooted. Newborns I put on a blanket with arches. A plain blanket without support just ends up crumpled under them.
A hard floor is fine once they can hold their head up for an extended amount of time. (2-3 months old over here)

stillnewlywed

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 6:05 pm
Yoga mat or an area rug

lucky14

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 10:23 pm
We don't have any carpet on our main level. I had this concern also. I did not like the idea of those puzzle-piece foam mats. Too many reviews about the child taking them apart once they start moving a bit more. I also have a 4 year old who would for sure take the pieces apart. I purchased a big area rug for the main room and just spent a lot of time in that room. In the other rooms I would still put a blanket down when we were there. When she got to the beginning sitting stage I made sure to have blankets around her. She's a crawler now and still occasionally bangs her face/head on the floor and I feel bad for her every time it happens. That's got to hurt.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics