Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
ASAP - apt help Monsey.
Previous  1  2

Blessing1

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 3:58 pm
watergirl wrote:
All of this goes on the application. They ask to see pay stubs to show income.

It is literally illegal to deny an application to someone based on marital status, occupation (as in, choice of occupation), what group they belong to... it DOES matter why.

The Fair Housing Act (Title VIII of the Civil Rights Act of 1968) introduced meaningful federal enforcement mechanisms. It outlaws: Refusal to sell or rent a dwelling to any person because of race, color, disability, religion, relations, familial status, or national origin. https://www.hud.gov/program_of.....rview

I once worked for a tenant placement company. One owner said he would only rent to white collar tenants. Guess what? The company was shut down because they discriminated. They should have told this owner they cant work with him.

OP, make sure you are looking at LEGAL rentals. You have a better chance of not being discriminated against.

The problem is that many rentals in Monsey are not legal apartments. So they get to choose who to take.

Rebotzinjr1

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 4:01 pm
I don’t know many ppl in Monsey I am not orig. from there...
yes I have a car
No I am not chassidish- reg by litvish

I moved to Lakewood than went to court abt custody, I want my get before my son turns 18 so I’m forced to move back

Rebotzinjr1

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 4:02 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
The problem is that many rentals in Monsey are not legal apartments. So they get to choose who to take.

Exactly. I don’t want to be a difficult person and make it a legal thing.
I just want a place to liveeeeee

Rebotzinjr1

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 9:25 am
Bumping this. Anyone go any ideas please?

Goldie613

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 1:59 pm
Maybe try posting in the "New York" section on this site - someone more local may see it and have better ideas.

Does it have to be Monsey? Can it be an area slightly outside of Monsey to give you more options?

Are there any chesed organizations in that area that can help? If your son is in school in that area, do you feel comfortable asking his school for help?

Would you want to pay for a real estate agent and make it her headache to figure this out?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics