Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Advice for Speech Therapist in Brooklyn - please help me!

meeze

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 2:07 pm
hi.

My 2 yr old's playgroup morah recommended me to have my 2yr old evaluated.

1. Would anyone here recommend I evaluate him for speech? He understands everything and follows directions, just he can't express himself clearly and still has a lot of baby language expressions.

2. Who would you recommend that takes Fideis Medicaid Insurance. Anyone here have good experiences with any speech therapist that comes to your home?

Thanks so much!

bsy

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 3:21 pm
When is your child's birthday?

miami85

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 4:05 pm
As far as I know you can have any EI agency evaluate your child, but by law the evaluation agency cannot provide the therapy unless there are certain work-arounds in place (which they almost all have). You don't need insurance though they might bill Medicaid if you have it but not necessary.

EI is a home-based service, family centered so they should be able to come to your home--don't know how corona has affected service provision.

You can try Yeled v'yalda, Challenge, Hand in Hand to name a few.

meeze

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 9:28 pm
bsy wrote:
When is your child's birthday?

He turned 2 on july 10

meeze

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 7:28 am
anyone else could share their input, please?

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 7:33 am
meeze wrote:
anyone else could share their input, please?

Happy birthday! It’s very good that he understands. He should be saying 2 word phrases. “More cookie”, “my shoes”, “eat yogurt”, “play blocks”, “go bye-bye”. You should understand what he says about 50% of the time. And he should have at least 50 words.
The end. Legit. If I was evaluating him, and he had all of these, there’s no way I would approve him for services.

meeze

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 7:41 am
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
Happy birthday! It’s very good that he understands. He should be saying 2 word phrases. “More cookie”, “my shoes”, “eat yogurt”, “play blocks”, “go bye-bye”. You should understand what he says about 50% of the time. And he should have at least 50 words.
The end. Legit. If I was evaluating him, and he had all of these, there’s no way I would approve him for services.

Yes, he sais mostly things that I understand (although not that clear, but pronounces the things that he wants, and sometimes just points "deis")

meeze

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 7:44 am
I was listenning to the Morah's advice since its not the first time she mentioned this to me .
I asked her why she would be so concerned so she said that sometimes the kid can get overwhelmed when they're trying to learn speech clearly and then switching to cheider, learning more new things...they'll constantly playing "catch up" to be on par.

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Aug 13 2020, 12:14 am
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:

As a speech therapist, I would look at the same things mentioned. Receptively, he should be putting 2 words together and strangers should understand him 50% of the time.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics