Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Moving to Israel- what happens to my speech therapy degree?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 4:28 pm
Hi,
My husband and I are thinking about spending a year in Israel. I didn't have the guts to do it when I got married (and other reasons) but now it seems like the perfect opportunity. I have 2 kids not in school yet, my husband got the go ahead to work remotely for at least another year, he would be able to learn first seder there, and I don't have a lease anymore. My question is I now work as a speech therapist, does anyone know what the field is like over there? I'm really unfamiliar with living in Israel in general (vacationing yes). I don't speak hebrew fluently either.

Let me know if anyone has info about the field, job opportunities, teletherapy? I am Ny certified but not ASHA certified yet because I'm finishing up my CF.

Thanks!

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 4:34 pm
If you dont speak hebrew then speach therapy might not work.
Ive been told that kids who have issues in one language have them in all languages, if they speak more than one.
So, you could see what you would need to do to transfer your license and only work with english speakers, but even then, I would think hebrew would be needed. But maybe someone will come here to tell us differently.

Elfrida

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 4:52 pm
Not speaking the language would be a big issue.

Ignoring the language side, you would probably need to pass an Israeli qualification exam if you are looking for any official job. Then you'd have to find a job.

If you work privately you could stick to English speaking clients, and they would probably be willing to accept your American qualification. The problem there would be building up a clientele, when you're only going to be around for a year.

Having both of you working American hours is less than ideal, for a lot of reasons, but is there any way you could continue your current job working online? Either that, or taking a years leave of absence (if you could manage on one salary for a year) seem the only realistic way to manage it.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 4:54 pm
Programs exist to work remotely fir rural schools in the US Or other similar clientele. My neighbor says it pays better than working here, but less than a normal position in the states. Obviously you’d work American hours if you choose thus.

chanchy123

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 5:13 pm
You need a license to practice speech therapy in Israel. There is a market for therapy in English but you’d probably need Hebrew to pass the exam.

cozyblanket

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 5:14 pm
Iymnok wrote:
Programs exist to work remotely fir rural schools in the US Or other similar clientele. My neighbor says it pays better than working here, but less than a normal position in the states. Obviously you’d work American hours if you choose thus.

Right. Presence learning is one place. Or global teletherapy. But be sure you can get childcare during those hours. It would be late afternoon and evening. I know someone who moved to EY as an slp. She looked into these places. Let me know if you want me to get her take.

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 5:23 pm
My. Dd made aliya. It took a few months to translate and accept her psyche degree. She needed transcripts and paperwork. Don’t count on being able to work right away in israel. If you can work remotely american hours you might be better off.

amother
Red

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 5:27 pm
The teletherapy companies pay in the mid to high 30s per hour. You need to get licensed in the state you’ll be providing services in. Not sure if they’ll hire people who are overseas.

mommy100

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 5:32 pm
To be certified in Israel, there is an exam given twice a year similar to the praxis. It is given in English as well as hebrew however if you do it in English you then need a level three Ulpan certificate to get the license.
I once had a therapist in the us who lived in Israel during the year and practiced there with adults in Jerusalem who were English speaking can’t remember the organization she worked for but maybe a place like TTI who have a SLP masters program there can help you

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 5:45 pm
I know a few SLP's in Israel who work online during American hours.
You need to have 3 years experience though.

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 12:38 am
Im in the same boat.
CF and not ASHA certified and can't go back to Israel because I need to finish up my CFY.
Have you looked into global teletherapy? I heard they hire but its a catch 22 but I heard you need classroom (DOE) experience... and not many schools will hire a recent CF

amother
Teal

Post Fri, Oct 23 2020, 3:33 pm
If you're able to get your ASHA before you go, that may be helpful if you would like to apply to a teletherapy company. It may be American hours but only for the direct time. (All the documentation and paperwork may be able to be done at your convienence.) However any American hours you have available, whether 10 or 30, you can apply and take it from there. Also, they pay pretty well compared to what you may get paid in E'Y- about $30-50 per hour. It depends what company, but as long as you have experience working in a school, you can probably work in the schools they set you up with. Some schools don't allow the therapist to be out of USA, so it works on a school by school basis. Obviously, you have to get the license in the state you would be working in, but the company will reccomend it for you. Hatzlacha!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics