Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Any ideas? (Near NY)

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 8:31 pm
Looking for a place to go for 2-3 days up to 3-4 hrs away from Brooklyn. We are two adults and four kids ages 1-8. We'd bring our own food so that's not a problem. Would like a minyan within 1/2hr drive, but it's not a deal breaker if we don't have that.

This stuff is not my strong point and I'm kind of at loss with ideas and I don't know what's open now...

I would have left the kids by relatives to really give dh a break (I normally would never do or like doing that, but dh had a hard year and is in desperate need for a break and needs to get away for little), but it wouldn't be fair to ask anyone to watch them those days (with corona), and dh doesnt want to go without me, so the kids are coming along.

So would need ideas for dh to enjoy and keep the kids happy at the same time (if the kids arent happy it wont be enjoyable for anyone) ... Also, once we get to where we are staying, we'd rather not drive around too far to get to places....

Ideally we would also like to only spend up to a few hundred dollars

Any ideas?

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 8:44 pm
What kind of activities do you enjoy?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 8:48 pm
Lancaster is great for little kids.
Honestly, if your kids go to camp or play outside, you can ask others to have them.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 10:16 pm
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
What kind of activities do you enjoy?

Dh loves boating, hiking, swimming, biking, trampoline park... Hiking is probably out though bec we can't push a stroller... swimming is probably also out to bec we can't do mixed, although we have done it in quite hotels early/very late in the day when the pool was empty...
Dh and kids would enjoy museums but more like the interactive ones ( for ex they liked the Crayola museum)
We once went on a skyride and they all enjoyed that....
Zoo/aquarium they'd might enjoy but less then the above so I'd only do it one of these type of things....

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 10:18 pm
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
Lancaster is great for little kids.
Honestly, if your kids go to camp or play outside, you can ask others to have them.

Thanks! Can you be more specific with ideas of places to go in Lancaster?

My kids do go to daycamp, but the only people I'd be comfortable leaving them by for a few days would be mine or dh parents, and their both still being careful as their a little older

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 11:57 pm
maybe you want to try rving. we did it and everyone loved it. some rv parks offer swimming indoor mostly empty in the morning, walking paths, campfire ect. By day you can go exploring. we stopped in a park near corning,NY it was very nice and there are things to do nearby.

edited to add if rv is too expensive you can rent a cabin. Koa is a good chain with good amenities.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 6:29 pm
Bump

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 8:32 pm
Most of the activities you mention can be pricy. If your budget is a few hundred dollars, that is basically the hotels with a bit extra. Maybe look for parks with easy nature hikes. Bike rentals are usually reasonably priced. Bring along sports equipment to play in a park. Plan to make a bbq.
I wouldn't do Lancaster because it's very touristy with expensive activities, which your kids will want to do when they see them advertised.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 8:49 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
Most of the activities you mention can be pricy. If your budget is a few hundred dollars, that is basically the hotels with a bit extra. Maybe look for parks with easy nature hikes. Bike rentals are usually reasonably priced. Bring along sports equipment to play in a park. Plan to make a bbq.
I wouldn't do Lancaster because it's very touristy with expensive activities, which your kids will want to do when they see them advertised.

Thanks for that advice. Any good parks you can recommend?

We do have credit card points that we can use for an hotel if need be... but it still adds up fast like you said.

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 8:59 pm
I did Lancaster 2x great and cheap.
Kreider farm tour.
Dutch wonderland has late afternoon hours (dont remember details) discounted rates from 4-6 not sure. Was plenty.
We did hershy onlybthe choc factory mini train free
And buggy ride they took us to show his house al see o cheapish
And that potato chip factory think was free.
So if u want u can do it cheap.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics