Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Camp sternberg
Previous  1  2  3  Next

heidi

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 4:36 pm
Waterpark?
Camp Sternberg?
My how things have changed

amother
Black

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 5:00 pm
heidi wrote:
Waterpark?
Camp Sternberg?
My how things have changed

Including the price

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 5:01 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
Including the price

I think it's inflatables on the lake. You have to swim out to it.

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 5:33 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
I think it's inflatables on the lake. You have to swim out to it.

My daughter absolutely loved it!!

UQT

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 5:45 pm
There were two or three chassidish family, many from lakewood, one from 5 towns, Monsey But I didn't ask everyone...

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 6:05 pm
Just curious how many bungalows there are.
When I was a camper many, many years ago there were probably around 10 staff bungalows spread out.
Are they renting out the bunk houses too?

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 7:14 pm
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
Just curious how many bungalows there are.
When I was a camper many, many years ago there were probably around 10 staff bungalows spread out.
Are they renting out the bunk houses too?

There are about 15+ bungalows. They are not putting families in bunkhouses.

amother
Red

Post Mon, Aug 10 2020, 11:57 pm
UQT wrote:
I was there this past Shabbos. We had such a wonderful weekend! No you are not going to the Ritz and don't go there expecting it to be. That said it is decent. They sent me pictures before I went so I knew what I was getting myself into. They did offer a brand new bungalow for $500 more per weekend for those that are more particular. You paid $999 for the shabbos and that included 5 people. You only pay for kids age 4 and up. If you are more than 5 people you need to pay $150 per person for food. I saw some families with one or two kids came with anther couple and split the cost of the bungalow. They had decent food - very campy but not horrible that you couldn't stomach it.

They really aimed to please - kugel and cholent before shabbos, never ran out of food. They had fireworks motzei shabbos. Anytime the golf cart passed and we asked for a lift they gladly gave it to us. The price includes some Sunday ammenities - choice of waterpark or boating, sunday and friday swim hours (the men swam motzei shabbos also), waterslides and a petting zoo. They had ATV, bungee jumping, rock climbing and zip lining for an additional fee. The canteen was also very tempting so you will end up paying more than you planned unless you are very strict with kids about what you are willing to pay for. The waterpark was the highlight of the weekend for my bigger kids- it's only really for ages 6 and up as you have to swim through the lake to get there.

They let us stay in the bungalow until late sunday, though you had to pay extra for Sunday lunch and supper. In the end I don't think that was so worth it ($35/person) I should have just purchased pizza for the kids at the canteen and bought supper on the way home.

We came back very rejuvenated - it was a nice crowd, beautiful cool weather and gorgeous grounds. We did lots of walking, playing in the park and enjoying nature. I saw one family made a campfire Motzei Shabbos, but we were too exhausted then to ask if we can do it too.

Any other questions let me know.

how did they keep everyone socially distant? Did all the families eat in the dining room together? Was the minyan outdoors? Was there hot water?

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 12:15 am
amother [ Red ] wrote:
how did they keep everyone socially distant? Did all the families eat in the dining room together? Was the minyan outdoors? Was there hot water?

I really don’t think that people who want to be socially distant should be looking to go away.
Most people who are going away are fine with moving forward from social distancing.

amother
Red

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 1:05 am
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
I really don’t think that people who want to be socially distant should be looking to go away.
Most people who are going away are fine with moving forward from social distancing.

I disagree. We want to go away and while I can’t be 100% socially distant I do want to be smart. For example I won’t take my kids to an indoor arcade but would go to a zoo or playground.

UQT

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 9:15 am
Everyone ate in the dining room together and Davened inside. Some staff girls were wearing masks indoors so they may be able to help you plan something for social distancing. Our family is not mapkid on it so it’s not a problem. Throw tomatoes now

UQT

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 9:16 am
And yes they have a coffee station with hot water in the dining room.

amother
Red

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 9:43 am
UQT wrote:
Everyone ate in the dining room together and Davened inside. Some staff girls were wearing masks indoors so they may be able to help you plan something for social distancing. Our family is not mapkid on it so it’s not a problem. Throw tomatoes now

Lol no tomatoes will be thrown. Everyone is entitled to do what they believe is right for their family. Thanks fo the info!

UQT

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 10:41 am
It actually is a nice place to go if you want to be somewhat careful because 90% of the activities are outside and it's really not crowded. The boating, bungee jumping, rock climbing, swimming, waterslides, petting zoo are all outdoors. Unlike some non-Jewish places where they force you to wear a mask in the blazing sun while outdoors on line, here you don't have to. If you choose to be socially distant while on line, I don't think anyone will even realize because the place is so huge and so few families are there.

amother
Red

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 2:05 pm
UQT wrote:
It actually is a nice place to go if you want to be somewhat careful because 90% of the activities are outside and it's really not crowded. The boating, bungee jumping, rock climbing, swimming, waterslides, petting zoo are all outdoors. Unlike some non-Jewish places where they force you to wear a mask in the blazing sun while outdoors on line, here you don't have to. If you choose to be socially distant while on line, I don't think anyone will even realize because the place is so huge and so few families are there.

What was it like in the dining room regarding space? Were the table tightly packed, with lots of ppl in a small area? What did little kids do during the meals? Friday night meal starts very late and the bungalows are too far away from the dining room to put anyone to sleep in during the meal.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 2:21 pm
Can anyone just answer me if my 16 year old yasiva boy would enjoy? If I go it would be a family get away which is nice, just wonder if the place is ok with taking their a yasiva boy?

UQT

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 6:25 pm
The dining room was full, but I didn't feel cramped. If needed some tables could be put further out I imagine for social distancing. Some people put their kids to sleep in the stroller or ran back and forth to check. My little one fell asleep on the way up and wasn't that tired anyway. They didn't shlep the meal too much. During the day they were able to run in and outside. There were lots of books in the dining room that they could read. I did bring some of my own toys (as I always do when I go away for Shabbos) which I brought to the dining room.
As far as a boy, I didn't notice anyone with Bochrim (my own are in camp). I would imagine not too appropriate for Yeshivish kids as there are some girls staff on ground and they were definitly floating around.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 12:54 am
Delete

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 12:06 pm
Is the lake near the bungalows or is it further out?

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 12:51 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
Is the lake near the bungalows or is it further out?

Depends on how you define “near”
It’s about a 3-5 minute walk from most of the bungalows
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics