Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
What food to serve at SD gathering

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 11:03 pm
I am having a very small group of people over outside. SD is being strictly adhered to. I would like to serve some food but I am struggling with would be the most appropriate menu to go with. I don't want a buffet or any kind of platter that requires passing around. If anyone has any ideas or has seen anything that they thought was a good idea, I would love to hear suggestions. Thank you.

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 11:09 pm
You can put together ready made individual food packages that everyone will help themselves to. A salad, drinks, sandwiches, Danish, muffins, fruit salad or fruit cup, cut up veggies, yogurt with granola.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 11:36 pm
Use martini glasses, shot glasses and an assortment of cocktail glasses to serve individual servings of various salads and appetizers. It can be set up very nicely.

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 11:51 pm
Kiddushim here have prepackaged cookies/whatever in nice packagesr. Just take packages from table

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 12:17 am
Thank you. Besides salads what else could I put in martini cups? I have a bunch of individual desserts and a fruit platter per family. We were thinking of putting some things on the grill but weren't sure how to best serve them. Any suggestions? I don't want to make pre made packages if I don't have to because it results in a lot of wasted food.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 12:38 am
Someone told me that she went to a SD Sheva brochos. They had coleslaw in prepackaged containers. Chicken and shnitzel sandwiches pre made. Cans of soda. Pre portioned out Fries and onion rings. Pre packaged dessert. She said it was really nicely done.

yamaha

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 12:46 am
Barbecue! Just have one person manning the grill, and have people go up one or two at a time to get their food. Everything else prepackaged at their tables.

BA

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 1:24 am
sushi works really nicely individual portions

we hosted a barbecue and one guy wore a mask and gloves and plated the buns and burgers. we had individual small cups of ketchup, mustard, pickles and bigger cups of french fries

ra_mom

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 7:58 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you. Besides salads what else could I put in martini cups? I have a bunch of individual desserts and a fruit platter per family. We were thinking of putting some things on the grill but weren't sure how to best serve them. Any suggestions? I don't want to make pre made packages if I don't have to because it results in a lot of wasted food.

Diced fruit. Mini skewers (meatball on a mini skewer, chicken on a skewer, fish cubes). Guacamole with tortillas resting on top. Potato salad. Pasta salad.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 8:31 am
Individual BBQ skewers are a great idea, and are yummy too. Knowing things have been over a fire that kills viruses is an added bonus.

I think that you could serve family style per table, if all the people seated at each table are a household. That would cut down on a lot of food waste, and would be less labor intensive than individual portion packages.

It would be really cute to make peckle dessert packages, with a cookie, a few wrapped candies, a cupcake, or something similar. You could put pretty ribbon on it to make it extra fancy.

Probably too late to order, but I've seen websites where you can send in graphics to design your own masks, saying "Bar Mitzva of Eli Cohen" or "Mazel Tov to the Goldman Family" or whatever you want. It could be a lot of fun.

Good grief. Who knew that being a Covid party planner would ever become a thing?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 9:13 am
I was at a party recently. Salads In individual bowls like you get at a store each with a small container of dressing inside. Containers with portions of food. Cookies wrapped individually, bottles of soda and bottles of water .... no sharing:)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics