Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Which slow cooker?

strawberry cola

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 7:24 pm
I would like to buy an 8 qt slow cooker but am confused by the available choices. The Magic Mill is made of aluminum. I would prefer stainless steel or ceramic, which are supposed to be healthier. I am also uneasy about the non-stick coatings that most of them have- do you share that concern, or are the newer types of coatings safer?
The ones with digital controls cannot be used on Shabbos.
I would love one without an insert- easier halachically if you want to take food out Friday night- but that would not be a deal breaker.
I eagerly look forward to your suggestions.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 7:56 pm
Go with a Hamilton Beach manual oval model. Stoneware insert.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ham.....w_wcB

Last edited by ra_mom on Tue, Aug 11 2020, 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 7:57 pm
You can't go wrong with the standard model Crock Pot. Get the one with the removable stoneware liner. They're easier to wash, and you only have to toivel the liner and not worry about the whole unit. They have the old fashioned knob that you turn, but of course you can't turn the knob on Shabbos, either.

Better yet, if you can, try to find an electric pressure cooker that has a slow cooker and Keep Warm mode. You'll get two appliances in one and it will save you a lot of space in storage, as well as doing double duty for cooking things like beans and pot roasts.

strawberry cola

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 11:15 am
Thank you very much! These sound like great suggestions!

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 11:51 am
ra_mom wrote:
Go with a Hamilton Beach manual oval model. Stoneware insert.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ham.....w_wcB

I second this one.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars