Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Baltimore
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 11:37 am
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
I assume you mean he is a melamed in the Chassidish kollel. Thats who provides the houses and tuition. It is in their self sustaining community. So yes, she is here for that. Very cool! Like I said, this is the one specific chassidish community that is doing this for THEIR people. Your neighbor is one of them.

They're Pupa chassidim and he was offered the job through someone that declined the job and thought he'd be a good fit. I understood the kollel is open to anyone that's serious with learning. I know families from afew chassidish sects that live there. Viznitz, Bobov, Satmar... I understood that they want to establish and build up the community & they're open to serious learners.

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 11:51 am
Quote:
Going anon bec we are moving to Baltimore... today!
My husband got a job in a smaller boys school called Toras simcha.
I have heard wonderful things about the community including that which Amother violet wrote. We are super excited to join such a warm cohesive community. I am coming from NY but not Brooklyn and have always had a more open minded mindset.

Welcome, welcome, welcome. I actually heard you were moving here. My husband seemed to know of yours from yeshiva days.

I'm from Baltimore, moved to NY (Not Brooklyn) for almost 13 years because my husband was in yeshiva there and then we just kind of stayed after he left yeshiva. We moved back a few years ago. We love it here!!!!!

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 11:55 am
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
They're Pupa chassidim and he was offered the job through someone that declined the job and thought he'd be a good fit. I understood the kollel is open to anyone that's serious with learning. I know families from afew chassidish sects that live there. Viznitz, Bobov, Satmar... I understood that they want to establish and build up the community & they're open to serious learners.

You are completely missing my point. Thats ok.

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 12:23 pm
You are completely missing my point. Thats ok.

Just wanted to chime in. The guy who funds the chassidish kollel is open to people from any chassidus. But you can't just move here and become part of it. There is a rigorous application and vetting process.
The members live in the community but aren't really part of the community. No hard feelings on either side. But it's not like you can expect a major chassidish influx to be happening as a result.

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 12:32 pm
To answer the OPs original post.
It's a mixed community in terms of frumkeit. It's not like NY where you pick a school based on your hashkafos. Everyone gets along no matter what level you are.

Mixed schools have its pluses and minuses. I grew up here and had MO girls in my class become really frum and marry kollel, etc because she became friends with the more "yeshivish" girls. But then I have 1 or 2 that went the other way. But I also have relatives in NY who are not really frum or very modern that went to homogenious schools in NY...so mixed schools aren't necessarily the cause.

The achdus and warmth in the community cannot be compared. Take corona....I heard from relatives in NY that everyone followed who they wanted to make decisions. Here, all shuls shut down overnight when the rabbanim got together and agreed it was the best for the community. There are always exceptions, but most people complied with no outdoor minyanim.

I moved to NY after I got married, and lived there almost 13 years before moving back. My kids definitely had to adjust to the life here, but absolutely no regrets.

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 12:54 pm
amother [ Gold ] wrote:
Just wanted to chime in. The guy who funds the chassidish kollel is open to people from any chassidus. But you can't just move here and become part of it. There is a rigorous application and vetting process.
The members live in the community but aren't really part of the community. No hard feelings on either side. But it's not like you can expect a major chassidish influx to be happening as a result.

Oh, I understand. Thanks for taking the time to explain it nicely.
I guess the same applies regarding jobs?

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 12:58 pm
Do you mean, jobs in the chassidish cheder? I assume so. There really isn't any other chassidish infrastructure. They shop in the same stores as the rest of us, etc. I think their girls go to the regular schools, so far.

There have been "regular" Baltimoreans working in their daycare, I think.

amother
Pearl

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 1:17 pm
Quote:
Do you mean, jobs in the chassidish cheder? I assume so. There really isn't any other chassidish infrastructure. They shop in the same stores as the rest of us, etc. I think their girls go to the regular schools, so far.

They actually started a girls school last year with either kindergarten or 1st grade. I saw their little girls in uniforms that are neither BNOS or Bais Yaakov uniforms. I also saw them advertise for an assistant and secretary for their girls school.

It is possible to not be part of the chassidish community and get a job in their schools. I know a 2 people around the corner who work in the schools and are not chassidish. One is in the daycare and one is a secretary in the school. They also advertised in one of the local community networks for staff in the girls school a few days ago.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 1:29 pm
Oh, I understand. Thanks for taking the time to explain it nicely.
I guess the same applies regarding jobs?

Regarding jobs in this kollel/school, yes. Although my close friend is the director of the cheder’s preschool and the patron told her to davka not hire chassidim. The preschool will hire anyone in town. The patron is a lawyer, so the kollel wives work in his firm.

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 1:37 pm
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:
Quote:

They actually started a girls school last year with either kindergarten or 1st grade. I saw their little girls in uniforms that are neither BNOS or Bais Yaakov uniforms. I also saw them advertise for an assistant and secretary for their girls school.

It is possible to not be part of the chassidish community and get a job in their schools. I know a 2 people around the corner who work in the schools and are not chassidish. One is in the daycare and one is a secretary in the school. They also advertised in one of the local community networks for staff in the girls school a few days ago.

I'm not chassidish and work in the daycare. The ladies are so nice and I'm hoping to send kids to daycare there next yr. I think most of them are not part of the larger Baltimore community because of their location which is on the edge of the frum community with no frum neighbors. But there are a few in the kollel who live in a different complex and are more a part of the community.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 1:47 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
I'm not chassidish and work in the daycare. The ladies are so nice and I'm hoping to send kids to daycare there next yr. I think most of them are not part of the larger Baltimore community because of their location which is on the edge of the frum community with no frum neighbors. But there are a few in the kollel who live in a different complex and are more a part of the community.

Hu? Its in between Pinkney and Glen. Its right there. They are right off Strathmore and PH. Its smack in the middle of PH. They are not part of the community because the patron does not want them to be. Ask the preschool director (my good friend). She’ll tell you. But I agree with you, when I see the ladies at the store, they are very friendly. One actually taught my daughter at Bnos (one class) and she loved her.

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 2:01 pm
It's smack in the middle of the frum Park Heights area.
Plenty of regular Baltimoreans daven in the kollel shul on shabbos.

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 4:05 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
Bais Yaakov and TI have plenty of yeshivish kids but everyone gets along that’s the beauty of Baltimore. If u don’t want ur kids influenced or exposed in school or by neighbors then look for a more yeshivish neighborhood maybe labyrinth strathmore Menlo but these neighborhoods not as safe. Greenspring is safer less crime but not as yeshivish

I think that Greenspring “not as yeshivish” is not so accurate anymore. There is probably more of a mix in the Greenspring area than in other neighborhoods, but you have plenty of gantze yeshivish families throughout Pickwick houses, Ranchleigh, Indian Village, the neighborhood opposite shoppers (Maurleen, chokeberry, etc), and in the Beazer houses. Plenty of families follow standard yeshivish daas Torah and raising serious Bnei Torah with their boys in standard yeshivas.
Regarding crime, unfortunately, in the past 10 years, and especially since the Freddie Grey Riots— crime has been on the up in all areas within the Eruv, even the nicer ones.

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 4:36 pm
I live in Cheswolde, which is one of the Greenspring neighborhoods. The Greenspring area is definitely more mixed than Upper Park Heights, but there are a few neighborhoods that tend to attract more of a particular group. There's a large Chabad presence centering at Clarks and Park Heights. There is a neighborhood that attracts more MO families above Smith and around Old Court west of Beth Tefilah. But I don't think there is any neighborhood here that is all of one kind.

Add to the school list: Darchei Noam Montessori. A real Montessori school with both boys and girls' classes that goes up to at least 6th grade. I have grandchildren there and wonderful DDIL taught in the preschool until this coming year (she's expecting a baby in the next few weeks).

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 7:28 pm
We're moving to Baltimore in a few days, be'H!!!!! It's so interesting to read this thread. I live amongst many chassidim and I had heard that they only had young couples in the kollel and they left once their children were school age. Is the chassidishe kollel community going to stay at a certain number of members? It seems like it's growing if they have a girls' school now.

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 7:32 pm
Hu? Its in between Pinkney and Glen. Its right there. They are right off Strathmore and PH. Its smack in the middle of PH. They are not part of the community because the patron does not want them to be. Ask the preschool director (my good friend). She’ll tell you. But I agree with you, when I see the ladies at the store, they are very friendly. One actually taught my daughter at Bnos (one class) and she loved her.

What I meant is that the way the houses are set up, the only real neighbors they have are each other. They would have to really extend themselves to get to know the neighbors outside of the kollel. But, I know plenty of ppl who make friends with them at their playground and my husband learned there in between his zmanim in ner. I also know for a fact that once in a while they will accept a child that is not a staff kid or part of the kollel, but they have to be approved by the head of the whole thing.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 7:34 pm
Daycare goes up to what age?

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 7:41 pm

Not true. I know someone who was part of kollel because they ended up with odd number of people when someone backed out. Very chassidish. Signed 3 yr. Contract. But after that they told him to leave because he was not brought in from NY w original crowd and they got an even number without him at this point. And ti/ta wont hire chassidishe rebbeim

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 7:43 pm
OP, it's still bais yaakov style. It is a community school but there is ohr chadash for MO crowd. Girls may watch videos but you don't have to worry

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 7:47 pm
Baltimorean here. I'll answer in thread. The main thing to make it here is to right away learn not to compare Baltimore to NY. It is a different world and you can not come here with the NY mindset.

Live in NY - considering moving to Baltimore.

Personally, I'm very nervous to make that type of move. It's far, sounds like options for schools are more limited. Anyone have info they can share?
Yes we have fewer schools. The thing about Baltimore is unlike NY and Lakewood, we do not separate ourselves into tiny groups like you all do there. We have 2 big boys schools, a few smaller ones, and 2 girls schools. There is another mixed school and a chabad school. BH it is perfect for us. We all live together, daven together, kids play and go to school together. Its not uncommon to live on a block with kids who go to the different schools. That's just how we roll in Baltimore. To each their own is king here. TI is "yeshivish" and they have a longer school year. They start at age 3 and go through 8th grade. TA is a community school and thats where I send my boys. It is AMAZING. I can not say enough about it. Its amazing. We did send to TI for a year. A friend said this to us about TA vs TI and we found it to be true. All of the boys know who Harry Potter (for example) is. The TI boys are taught not to talk about it or admit they know. The TA boys talk about it, even with their teachers. My husband teaches at the local high school where many TI kids go (which totally just outed me so I am anon and he agrees this is true. This is just how the TI families prefer it. Not that are telling their kids to lie, CVS. I mean, they just do not talk about it. Its hard to explain unless you are here and can see. Its not a bad thing. It is what it is.

Schools - We are looking for more yeshivish schools - heard the bais yaakov there is more of a community school, I.e. a bix mix of families/hashkafos. Is this true?
See what I wrote above. Also there is Bnos Yisrael and Beis Yaakov. Both are amazing and everyone loves both. Bnos is hard to get into because they keep it small intentionally. But its not like in NY where you have to have pull to get in. Its a lottery. Literally. They will not take the full tuition payers over the financial assistance kids. Both go from age 3 through high school. You will not be sorry if you chose one over the other.

What neighborhoods do people live in there? Is Baltimore close to the bad neighborhoods/crime?
Baltimore has crime. The end. There is the Park Heights are and Greenspring. The county (greenspring area) is known to be safer but not so much lately.

DH thinks its better to move to a smaller community (compared to larger NY/NJ areas) bc it'll be healthier environment for kids with less competition and social pressure...
Yup. I agree. But you have to lose the NY mentality. Kids here wear what they want. They go where they want. They do what is right for their family. Some kids do the European shoe thing. Many get school shoes from Target. I go to Sketchers and see a million kids from the community there shopping also.

As a TI mom, I do want to clarify, they do all talk about harry potter, no one is ashamed or hides it. Movies, though, they are not so familiar with. I am very happy with the hashkafa at TI. And I moved from NY relatively recently
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating