Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
What do your children do to entertain themselves?

Power1Mom

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 10:34 pm
Hi! I have 3 school age children. During quarantine times and over the summer, I was very lax about them watching kids shows. Soon, school will be starting, and I really want to cut down on their watching time, to just Fridays, like it used to be.
We have soooooo many toys, books, things for my children to do, but they are always complaining they are so bored. All they do the whole afternoon lately, is sit around half heartedly reading, or playing a game, asking me every few minutes if they can watch.
We don’t live in a neighborhood where they have many friends, and logistically, it’s not realistic for me to drive them to classmates or have classmates over every day.
What do all your kids do for fun, when they’re home. We’re talking a regular school night. They will be getting home between 4pm and 5pm. Ages 10, 8, and 5. They will be doing homework, eating supper.
What can I buy or provide for them to keep themselves stimulated and self entertained, aside from electronics?
Any realistic ideas?

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 10:35 pm
Following
Sounds like my life story... sorry no advice here

Power1Mom

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 10:38 pm
It definitely helps to know I’m not alone ;-)

trixx

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 10:41 pm
You have to push through the boredom
If you've provided them with decent and age appropriate toys, crafts, activities etc (and you put into storage all the excess so there's not too many choices to overwhelm) then you can feel confident telling a kid who complains that he's bored, sorry, my job is to provide you with toys and your job is to play with them.

Turn away and keep doing the dishes. Don't give in to the fight. Don't make it a power struggle. Don't listen to whining. They will pick themselves up and occupy themselves, but only once they get over that hump. And you have to give time for that to happen. So a few straight days of consistent behavior on your part.

Bleemee

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 10:43 pm
To add to the above post, is there a possibility of putting away the electronics for now so that it’s just not around and not an option for them to beg for?

Moonlight

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 10:58 pm
Great rule, if someone says they're bored, reply I'm not! You can help me! and give them a chore. They will catch on and stop saying it.

miracleshappen

Post Wed, Aug 12 2020, 11:00 pm
We recently taught my 4 and 6 year old easy card games- war and go fish. They play cards all the time now on their own. It’s amazing when I need some time alone

queen esther

Post Thu, Aug 13 2020, 12:13 am
You are definitely not alone! I could write this same post sometimes... Also similar aged kids. My younger one loves to read so still play with Lego/Playmobil so that helps. The older one.... Sometimes he'll do sports on his own, like practice throwing and catching baseball, but can't do long time alone. He likes building things, like models or science type stuff, but that is also usually a do it once thing and he's done. I also feel kind of at a loss about what I should have for them to do at this age, 8-11. Too old for many toys, so what do you keep around for them to have to do themselves? Other than books, games..I hope some other imas have advice here!

erm

Post Thu, Aug 13 2020, 12:33 am
I have been allowing my kids to make slime, and other messy projects. They also do perla beads with an extra large board ( although it is a pain to have to iron them each time) We just purchased a basketball hoop and soccer nets. They bike ride, roller blade and play other sports. One of my daughters likes to play with the mannequin head and practice different kinds of braids and other hairstyles. My 5 year old learnt to peel my vegetables, He loves to help in the kitchen. Good luck. It is a constant challenge.

salt

Post Thu, Aug 13 2020, 12:37 am
If they get along well with each other, there are plenty of games. Simple games like snakes and ladders, 4-in-a-row, rat-a-tat-cat, ludo.
Or if they're a little older, monopoly, jungle speed, rummikub, mankala.

itsmeima

Post Thu, Aug 13 2020, 12:51 am
Until lunchtime we lazy around, after lunchtime: bake, arts and crafts from the dollar store, draw, read, games, hiking, biking, picnics, chalk, bubbles, water balloons, bubbles.

My kids only watch on Sunday. I've found having a plan really helps.

Good luck, it isn't easy 😬

#BestBubby

Post Thu, Aug 13 2020, 1:31 am
It's ok for them to be bored. I was bored as a kid but I didn't dream of asking
my parents to entertain me. I found something to do.

Children have to learn to entertain themselves. It's an important life skill.

Like the other poster said, if they complain they are bored, offer then chores.

baby12x

Post Thu, Aug 13 2020, 3:39 am
I know this is not exactly what you are asking but I wrote this with some ideas of easy and CHEAP things that I have done with my kids.

https://adimesaved.com/things-.....-home
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics