Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Vacation over Shabbos - Help me make it work

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 6:46 pm
We haven’t had a getaway in many years. It might work out for us to go away for a weekend now but I’m wondering how to do that. A few things:

1) Keys to the room are electronic
2) I don’t want to be locked into the room all day. How do you go about going outside without an eruv (I have a baby).
I’m sure there’s more but I can’t think of them at the moment because, as I mentioned, I haven’t been away in years.

Can you help me make this work? I gave birth during Covid and must get away for a bit for the sake of my sanity (and only the weekend is feasible). I don’t want a Frum getaway because I mostly need a break from all the noise. I’m looking for something quiet, an inn or cottage in a quiet town or lake/beachfront.

Thank you

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 6:49 pm
We try to rent a hotel suite with a kitchenette and living room area, and if the weather is nice look for a patio or porch too. We tape up all the automatic lights such as in the closeta etc...and do not leave our suite so no problem with the door. An alternative is to rent an air bnb with some nice outdoor space.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 7:06 pm
Whenever I'm in a hotel over shabbos then I leave my room door unlocked.
You can't leave the building so try to get a hotel with a nice grounds.
Also if you want hot food, you can try doing a croc pot or a hot plate and refuse room service, but officially it's not allowed.
Airbnb on a big property can definitely work better for all of these reasons.

I've done many weekend getaways, but I've done it without the kids, and I've also done some with only cold food.

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 7:24 pm
Ask your lor - even carrying in the hotel can be a problem. There are easy ways around it.

You also have to know if air condition is triggered when you enter room. Or light in bathroom turn off when you leave. Can you turn off lights in the fridge.

A cottage or small inn prob won’t have issues with sensors or electronics as much.
I’d do a house with a porch and gated yard so you can go out. (Even porches can be an issue for carrying - we carried for years on our front deck and then had our rav over and he said because of the placement of the steps we couldn’t even carry there. )

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 7:25 pm
Thanks.

You all mention grounds. But grounds aren’t generally gated in. How does that help? I need outdoors.

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 7:31 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks.

You all mention grounds. But grounds aren’t generally gated in. How does that help? I need outdoors.

Look for an Airbnb with a gated yard. Or large gated porch. It must exist.

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 7:42 pm
I just searched Airbnb ny gated and a bunch came up. It looks like gated are advertised to accommodate ppl with pets.
The hard part will be finding availability.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 7:46 pm
Would you leave the baby at a sitter?
That way you get a real vacation and you don't have to carry so you're less limited.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 8:09 pm
got this idea from dansdeals. we tied a strong rope to door handle inside before shabbos, and when we left room we left a bit of it sticking out under the door that when pulling it would open. I don't remember exactly where on dansdeals it was posted as this was abt 2-3 yrs ago, but it worked perfectly

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 11 2020, 8:20 pm
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
Would you leave the baby at a sitter?
That way you get a real vacation and you don't have to carry so you're less limited.

I can’t. The baby is newborn’ish and breastfeeding. I need to take the baby along.

amother
Powderblue

Post Fri, Aug 14 2020, 8:46 am
I just vacationed from Wednesday to Wednesday in a place with no Shul and no kosher food. I brought all the food and some pots and cutlery. I kashered the oven right away and made my normal Shabbos food. Had it hot until candle lighting and then removed from the oven right before I lit candles.

Because there was an electric stovetop and not a gas range, I brought along a coil electric burner to cook soup and pasta with. I also brought an electric kettle so that I could make coffee and noodle soups.

I fully cooked the Chulent before Shabbos and then left it in the oven on 200. There was automatic shutoff the next morning but the Chulent was still hot and delicious the next morning.

On Shabbos we had 4 mishaps - got locked out of our room in the morning when we went down to the lobby to play rummikub. The condominium front desk had to call the management company to drive over and open our room. (After that we just left the door ajar the rest of the day). Also in the afternoon my daughter brushed against the TV and we had to ask management to come shut it off. In the lobby the bathroom lights were automatic (not in our unit) and so were the lights in the garbage throw out area. All of that could have been avoided.

The pool area was gated in directly adjacent to the hotel. We stayed out there from 5 pm to 8 pm and had Shalosh seudos there. (We didn’t swim or go near the pool - there was a gazebo where we had the food). The Shabbos was fine - I brought tons of books, magazines, games, nosh etc. However, it was the chill part of our trip - the rest was spent touring and sightseeing. If it’s only a weekend vacation then you might feel frustrated - all that work and no real diversions.

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Aug 14 2020, 8:55 am
We usually rent a Hyatt house. It's cheap and has a full kitchen so no issues with bringing and cooking hot food. We do crockpot for chulent and sometimes bring a hotplate for Friday night food.
We check google maps before we book and prefer to book in those that are one big building not separate houses, so there's lots of room to walk around indoors. Their outdoor spaces are usually a part of the building (building partially wraps around it). I'm not 100% sure what the carrying halachos are since I only have bigger kids but I don't see why you can't go out.
Regarding the door, we put a strong peice of cardboard by the latch when the door closes (usually take the do not disturb sign). Like that the door appears to be closed when you look at it but it's unlocked you just push it open.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics