Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Quick Grilled Flanken with Chili, Sesame, and Ginger

Amarante

Post Fri, Aug 14 2020, 12:30 pm
This was a really easy and tasty beef preparation. As the notes indicate, the marinade can be used for any cut of beef.

This isn't an "Asian" recipe per se but the ingredients would be appealing to those who enjoy Asian food as the ingredients are very typically found in Chinese recipes.

This is a great way to grill meat. I served it with my favorite "Fusion Coleslaw" which has similar flavors and is my go-to for a simple meal with Asian flavors. A plus is that everything can be prepped ahead so all one needs to do is throw the meat on the grill and enjoy. Very Happy

Quick Grilled Flanken with Chili, Sesame, and Ginger

Excerpt From: Melissa Clark - In the Kitchen with A Good Appetite

Time 20 minutes, plus 30 minutes’ marinating to 24 hours’ refrigeration
Serves 3 to 4

6 garlic cloves, minced
1-inch piece fresh gingerroot, peeled and chopped
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons rice vinegar, more to taste
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt, more to taste
3 tablespoons toasted (Asian) sesame oil, more to taste
1 tablespoon Asian chili sauce, such as sriracha
3 pounds flanken (see Note)
Arugula or sunflower sprouts, for serving
2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds

1. Put the garlic, ginger, soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, and salt into the blender and blend until smooth. Add the sesame oil and chili sauce and blend well.

2. Coat the flanken with just enough of the sesame mixture to cover it all over. Let it marinate for at least 30 minutes at room temperature or up to 24 hours in the refrigerator (the longer, the better).

3. Preheat the grill or broiler. Grill or broil the meat until done to taste, about 4 minutes per side for rare.

4. Toss the greens with a drizzle of sesame oil and rice vinegar and a pinch of salt.

5. Slice the meat (you can slice it off the bones or leave the bones in) and serve over the greens. Sprinkle everything with sesame seeds and more salt if desired, and drizzle with the remaining sesame sauce.

NOTE: If you can’t find flanken, feel free to substitute any other cut of steak, adjusting the cooking time with the thickness of the meat. A thin flank or skirt steak will cook in 2 minutes per side for rare. A 2-inch-thick ribeye will take about 3 to 4 minutes per side.

ladYdI

Post Fri, Aug 14 2020, 12:33 pm
I always thought flanken needs to be cooked or baked long. Has anybody ever tried to grill flanken? Please share

Amarante

Post Fri, Aug 14 2020, 12:35 pm
Leftovers are great. I simplify by using bagged cabbage mix but I have found that pre-shredded carrots tend to be tough and dry.

The honey roasted peanuts are essential for the final result.

I chop the raisins so the pieces are smaller and have used currants when I remember to stock for my pantry

Fusion Coleslaw

From “The Earthbound Farm Organic Cookbook: Food To Live By” by Myra Goodman with Linda Holland and Pamela McKinstry

Serves 4 to 6

3 cups shredded red cabbage
3 cups shredded Napa cabbage
2 large carrots, coarsely grated
3 small green onions, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon unseasoned rice vinegar
2 ½ teaspoons sugar
¾ teaspoon sambal oelek (see Kitchen Note)
1 tablespoon peeled and finely grated ginger
¼ teaspoon salt, or to taste
½ cup honey-roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped
½ cup raisins
2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds

1. Place red cabbage, Napa cabbage, carrots and green onions in a large bowl.

2. Combine sesame oil, vegetable oil, vinegar, sugar, sambal oelek, ginger and salt in a small bowl; whisk to combine. Taste for seasoning, adding more sambal oelek and salt to taste.

3. Pour dressing over the vegetables and toss to combine. Add peanuts and raisins and toss again. Refrigerate, covered, to allow flavors to develop, 2 to 4 hours. Stir in sesame seeds just before serving, and serve chilled.

Times Kitchen Note: There are many hot chile pepper pastes used as table condiments in China and Southeast Asia; sambal oelek is the most common and most popular. Containing chiles, salt, vinegar and sometimes garlic and tamarind, the fiery paste gives food a powerful flavor boost.

Amarante

Post Fri, Aug 14 2020, 12:37 pm
ladYdI wrote:
I always thought flanken needs to be cooked or baked long. Has anybody ever tried to grill flanken? Please share

Cut against the grain, sliced thin and cooked rare like flank steak.

Or sub a different cut of meat per the instructions.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics