Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Supplements to help my child with memory/learning
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Aug 15 2020, 11:20 pm
my 11 year old is somewhat spacy. He can learn but often forgets things the next day. It is so weird, the way he can totally understand it and remember one day and completely not recall it the next day. Are there any supplements that would help for this? (He takes fish oil already)

flmommy

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 12:24 am
I do not know about supplements but my DD uses a program to improve her memory called Activate by C8 sciences for exactly this issue.

chanchy718

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 1:46 am
zahler has a kidscalm and kids active

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 2:10 am
flmommy wrote:
I do not know about supplements but my DD uses a program to improve her memory called Activate by C8 sciences for exactly this issue.

How long has your DD used it? How long until you saw results? Does she have to keep using or once you improve you can stop the program? Thanks so much!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 2:19 am
chanchy718 wrote:
zahler has a kidscalm and kids active

Thank you!

daagahminayin

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 2:25 am
Look into Piracetam and Huperzine A.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 2:52 am
daagahminayin wrote:
Look into Piracetam and Huperzine A.

Have you tried these for children? Huperzine A looks like for alzheimers, so wondering safety for children. thanks!

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 3:41 am
Make sure he sleeps enough every day, eats well, and that whatever he is learning is shown in a way that's interesting to him, if he thinks it's boring he'll forget.

Success10

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 3:52 am
I once had to do an ad for an organization that deals with Audio Processing Disorder. I had to draw an illustration of a boy who one day understood the gemara very well, and the following day he completely forgot what he had learned the day before. It might be worth looking into a proper evaluation for APD.

amother
Cerulean

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 5:10 am
Omega 3 with a multivitamin
Also check your child’s vitamin D level. If it is too low, this could effect the attention span and memory.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 2:44 pm
Success10 wrote:
I once had to do an ad for an organization that deals with Audio Processing Disorder. I had to draw an illustration of a boy who one day understood the gemara very well, and the following day he completely forgot what he had learned the day before. It might be worth looking into a proper evaluation for APD.

it's not really about understanding the content, it's about recalling the shorashim. He'll know the meaning one day and have no recall the next day. Simple words that he's heard for years. does this sound like APD? any other suggestions I'm happy to look into! thanks!

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 2:57 pm
Not being able to connect information to convert it to long term memory is often a symptom of a language disorder.
It may make sense to splurge on a full educational evaluation to figure out the root of the problem and solve it effectively.

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 3:13 pm
As an SLP you are describing a language disorder that is presenting as word retrieval issue. There are a few possibilities why he is not storing the information well. Some causes may be: phonemic, poor visualizing, semantic etc. A good language evaluator can find and treat the root issue.

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 3:18 pm
Omega 3 fish oil is supposed to help cognition and also ADHD (attention) issues.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 4:13 pm
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
As an SLP you are describing a language disorder that is presenting as word retrieval issue. There are a few possibilities why he is not storing the information well. Some causes may be: phonemic, poor visualizing, semantic etc. A good language evaluator can find and treat the root issue.

He actually had speech therapy for his R's but was recently dismissed. Would a therapist working on pronouncing (R's) pick up on that or it would have had to be a formal evaluation? I actually did mention a while back that he takes FOREVER to retell a story and maybe there's some processing issue and she said she didn't notice anything like that, I think she did a very informal assessment at the time.

He is also forgetful and spacey in general though, I'm assuming that would not be attributed to a language disorder..? He doesn't mix up English words, but he does have trouble with recalling Hebrew. Can it only present itself in Hebrew words? OR is slower talking/retelling stories how it would present in a first language? Thank you!

daagahminayin

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 4:30 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Have you tried these for children? Huperzine A looks like for alzheimers, so wondering safety for children. thanks!

Yes I have used it for my child and myself but you should research it for yourself to decide if its safe for yours.

Laiya

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 5:06 pm
OP, try looking into memory palace techniques for memorization. We found it worked very well.

Adding. Memory palace works well because it creates a dynamic image of the word or concept that needs to be memorized. People with learning disabilities, including dyslexia, have had lots of success with it.

This video gives a brief overview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?.....=225s

Last edited by Laiya on Sun, Aug 16 2020, 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

watergirl

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 5:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
it's not really about understanding the content, it's about recalling the shorashim. He'll know the meaning one day and have no recall the next day. Simple words that he's heard for years. does this sound like APD? any other suggestions I'm happy to look into! thanks!

You are describing my early elementary school experience. I would learn some thing, grasp it, do the homework, and forget it the next day. I would study my brains out in the appropriate way for a test, I would know the material in the morning but then promptly blank out when I sat down to take the test. It was not a case of me needing help concentrating or more energy or any of the things that have been suggested in this thread. It was not auditory processing disorder. It was a learning disability.

I am extremely grateful to my third grade teacher who realized I had a problem. And I am grateful to my teacher and to my parents for not trying to give me supplements, vitamins, Or spending on very costly “programs”, etc. and wasting more time. These learning issues reeks havoc on my self-esteem and social skills. Why social skills? Because my well-meaning teachers kept me in for recess, shortened my lunch periods, whatever they could do to give me extra time to review the material with me. Really, they were taking away my opportunity to learn appropriate social skills with kids because I never had time to play.

I am grateful to my teacher for explaining to my parents that I needed to be evaluated by a licensed professional educational psychologist. I’m grateful that my parents learned their rights and knew that this testing would be free of charge. I am grateful for my diagnosis of dyslexia and learning disability. I am grateful that this was caught relatively early so I could be given the help I really needed.

OP please will you investigate potential magic pills, also take the time to find out if there is a bigger problem. And make sure that your child is in the appropriate school for his educational and social and emotional needs.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 5:36 pm
My son has a learning disability with poor working memory and we have sent him to one of the top leaning disability schools in our state for many years. And he still has a hard time learning and various challenges. There are unfortunately very few simple solutions to anything in life.

browser

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 8:20 pm
Diet may also be a major factor contributing to his issues
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics