Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Going back to work with a newborn @ home- what do people do?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 12:29 am
FTM here. I'm iyh due once the school year starts and hope to take off a few weeks of maternity leave. That means my baby will iyH be about 6/8 weeks old when I go back to work. Now what do most people do when this happens? Are there babysitters that watch newborns? Hours would be around 7:45-3 PM. Do babysitters open that early? And what is the going rate for that type of thing? (obviously I know its dependent on where you live. Just trying to get an idea. I live near BK).

What do I do if I would like to nurse? Pump and and then nurse baby when I get home in the evening?

Sorry for the naive questions Can't Believe It

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 1:29 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
FTM here. I'm iyh due once the school year starts and hope to take off a few weeks of maternity leave. That means my baby will iyH be about 6/8 weeks old when I go back to work. Now what do most people do when this happens? Are there babysitters that watch newborns? Hours would be around 7:45-3 PM. Do babysitters open that early? And what is the going rate for that type of thing? (obviously I know its dependent on where you live. Just trying to get an idea. I live near BK).

What do I do if I would like to nurse? Pump and and then nurse baby when I get home in the evening?

Yes there are babysitters who watch newborns who work that early but it may be hard to find.
In Brooklyn, around $6/hr You may be able to find for $5 although if you need from 745 probably not..)

It may be easier to have someone come to your home, if you can pull it off. That will be a lot more expensive, though.

If you want to only feed breast milk, and alternate between bottles and nursing, then yes, you pump while you are work instead of nursing, at the times you would be nursing. (So you pump/nurse every 3/4 hours)

Bshaah Tovah!!

abmom2

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 1:34 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Yes- I dont live in ny but usually u can send to a babysitter or day care. Some places only open later so in that case many ppl will find someone to watch the baby and drop off at day care when it starts. Rates vary from place to place and I'm not in ny so I cant tell you about that...
You can for sure nurse full time and work. Pump once or twice during your work day and send the frozen milk with the baby. I find it helpful to schedule my pumping sessions for the same times the baby should be eating so that I have enough milk for baby when I get home, which can be hard at times... good luck!

jd1212

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 2:05 am
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
Yes there are babysitters who watch newborns who work that early but it may be hard to find.
In Brooklyn, around $6/hr You may be able to find for $5 although if you need from 745 probably not..)

It may be easier to have someone come to your home, if you can pull it off. That will be a lot more expensive, though.

If you want to only feed breast milk, and alternate between bottles and nursing, then yes, you pump while you are work instead of nursing, at the times you would be nursing. (So you pump/nurse every 3/4 hours)

Bshaah Tovah!!

I’m sorry, is that a typo? $5-$6? For a babysitter for one baby?

Good Friend

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 2:11 am
jd1212 wrote:

I'm not the poster you're quoting, but I used to send my baby to a group babysitter in Brooklyn and it cost $6 an hour (9am-4:30pm)

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 2:16 am
jd1212 wrote:

Is that too much or too little? The babysitter usually takes a few kids sometimes even 10 or more so that's $50-60 an hour for the babysitter.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 2:18 am
jd1212 wrote:

Yes. It's per baby. The sitter watches multiple babies.

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 2:25 am
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
Is that too much or too little? The babysitter usually takes a few kids sometimes even 10 or more so that's $50-60 an hour for the babysitter.

I hope not Crying

Edta and if they do, please don't send there

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 2:29 am
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
I hope not Crying

You gotta do your research. Every babysitter is different.
I'm glad I'm many years past the babysitter age. Not easy or fun and certainly not for a first time Mom.
It was soooo hard for me to leave over my tiny 7 week old newborn. I chose a babysitter that only took about 5-6 kids. And chose one near my work so I can go and nurse my baby in person on my lunchbreak. So hard!
Good luck op.

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 8:13 am
I went back to work when Baby was 2 weeks old. I got a babysitter to come every day until he was 3 mos, and then I sent him to a group babysitter. And I pumped at work. Legally, they are required to allow you time to pump, as well as a private place.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 10:02 am
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
You gotta do your research. Every babysitter is different.
I'm glad I'm many years past the babysitter age. Not easy or fun and certainly not for a first time Mom.
It was soooo hard for me to leave over my tiny 7 week old newborn. I chose a babysitter that only took about 5-6 kids. And chose one near my work so I can go and nurse my baby in person on my lunchbreak. So hard!
Good luck op.

Wow, I did not eve think of this idea!! To find a babysitter near the school I work in and then I could potentially do that... would have to talk it over with DH though. My husband leaves in the morning around 5:30 and is home by about 3 PM so that's why he could pick up baby from 3 and let baby nap. Maybe its not so wise to bring baby to the neighborhood I work in because of the drive back from BK to my house (I said I live near BK bc dont want to give too much ID info but I live about 40 mins away)

Does anyone know the going rate for babysitters in crown heights?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 10:03 am
When should I start looking into babysitting groups? A few months before Im due? After? Have no idea!

happy chick

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 10:08 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Wow, I did not eve think of this idea!! To find a babysitter near the school I work in and then I could potentially do that... would have to talk it over with DH though. My husband leaves in the morning around 5:30 and is home by about 3 PM so that's why he could pick up baby from 3 and let baby nap. Maybe its not so wise to bring baby to the neighborhood I work in because of the drive back from BK to my house (I said I live near BK bc dont want to give too much ID info but I live about 40 mins away)

Does anyone know the going rate for babysitters in crown heights?

Most charge between $7-8 an hour. Pm me for references. I may have info you could use.

Good Friend

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 12:24 pm
Pm me for a spreadsheet of babysitting groups in crown heights

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 1:09 pm
Thanks to everyone that had contact numbers for me!

I dont know if I should find a babysitter where I live or one near CH but so far the CH ones I looked open later than I need which means I doubt the babysitters in my area will be open for drop offs for 7:30/7:45. Going to need to continue brainstorming

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 1:16 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks to everyone that had contact numbers for me!

I dont know if I should find a babysitter where I live or one near CH but so far the CH ones I looked open later than I need which means I doubt the babysitters in my area will be open for drop offs for 7:30/7:45. Going to need to continue brainstorming

Most people that need those early hours
Have someone come to their house. Going rate for that for a non Jewish woman is around 500-600 a week and they clean too. Drop offs are obviously much cheaper. I had a Neighbor who had an Israeli bubby come to her house at 730 and drop her kids off at the drop off babysitter at nine.

I worked pretty full time 9-4 and pumped for all my kids. It’s a pain but it worked out.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 1:43 pm
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
Most people that need those early hours
Have someone come to their house. Going rate for that for a non Jewish woman is around 500-600 a week and they clean too. Drop offs are obviously much cheaper. I had a Neighbor who had an Israeli bubby come to her house at 730 and drop her kids off at the drop off babysitter at nine.

I worked pretty full time 9-4 and pumped for all my kids. It’s a pain but it worked out.

Thanks for sharing your experience.
We would prefer someone Jewish thats the only thing.

Its so hard! Idk how working moms do this! The hours are crazy. Need to leave my house at around 7:30 to make it to BK at 9 for school Sad Getting overwhelmed about what to do with baby and I didnt even give birth yet !!

dancingqueen

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 2:36 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:

Read the abuse thread, and then absolutely do not send to one of those babysitters.

Op, do you have any community WhatsApp or Facebook groups? Post on there that you are looking for a Jewish babysitter in your home.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 3:13 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
Read the abuse thread, and then absolutely do not send to one of those babysitters.

Op, do you have any community WhatsApp or Facebook groups? Post on there that you are looking for a Jewish babysitter in your home.

Nope, dont have whatsapp or facebook. I just moved to this neighborhood after I got married. I think its early to post because Im not due till after xmas. Im just thinking ahead to see what most people do

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 3:24 pm
Relax ...please don't stress out so many months In advance.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics