Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Why do you post on Imamother?

tante_feige

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 1:54 am
Most members probably use Imamother for entertainment... but does anyone have a different motive?

I have a lot--a LOT--that I want to say about my marriage and divorce, that I feel cannot be shared in public. Keeping everything inside was physically and psychologically destroying me, so, I started sharing it here. I realize that a lot of what I post can out me to somebody that knows me "in real life"... there's always a price to be paid, though, and my sanity and health aren't it.

Just wondering if anyone else has "non entertainment" reasons for posting here.

singleagain

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 2:36 am
I post bc I like helping ppl. And I feel my story (divorce, depression etc) can help. Even just to let someone know they aren't alone

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 2:57 am
I “read” imamother for entertainment, but I learn so much while being entertained . I “post” on imamother to add my two cents, of course.

Success10

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 3:55 am
I think it helps a lot with procrastination. I'd have to find some other way to procrastinate without imamother.

Something about imamother is theraputic, though. I find I have more emotional energy to deal with life and give to my kids when I discuss deep and emotional topics on imamother. It fills that need I have to have deep social interaction.

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 4:01 am
I'm in the forum for women who grew up in neglectful and abusive homes.

Ive gotten so much support on this site. It's amazing.

Kiwi13

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 6:39 am
I’m mostly here for the social aspect. Especially as an introvert, I’m thankful to live in an era where friendships can traverse distance.

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 6:42 am
I found this site shortly after I got married so at that time it was purely entertainment.
But over the almost 2 decades ive been married this site has helped me, with the many private forums. Almost like support groups. And has saved me from myself at times as well.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 7:57 am
I've had a very "interesting" life. To say the least.

I mostly post because I want to help people. I figure Hashem put me through all kinds of trials, and I've learned from them. What's the point of suffering, unless you can turn around and use that experience to keep other people from going through the same thing?

I'm disabled, and there are a lot of things I can't do. What I can do, is give people chizuk and support. That means a lot to me, and keeps me from feeling like I don't contribute to society. I may not be delivering cakes to Bikur Cholim, or hosting lone soldiers every Shabbos, but THIS is something I can do.

In the process, I've made wonderful friends. Some in real life, and many more online. Since I live alone, this helps me immensely and keeps me from getting depressed. Imamother was a lifeline when the whole city was locked down tight. My anxiety could have gone through the roof, but because I still felt connected, I was able to get through it.

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 10:09 am
FranticFrummie wrote:

I mostly post because I want to help people. I figure Hashem put me through all kinds of trials, and I've learned from them. What's the point of suffering, unless you can turn around and use that experience to keep other people from going through the same thing?

I'm disabled, and there are a lot of things I can't do. What I can do, is give people chizuk and support. That means a lot to me, and keeps me from feeling like I don't contribute to society. I may not be delivering cakes to Bikur Cholim, or hosting lone soldiers every Shabbos, but THIS is something I can do.

In the process, I've made wonderful friends. Some in real life, and many more online. Since I live alone, this helps me immensely and keeps me from getting depressed. Imamother was a lifeline when the whole city was locked down tight. My anxiety could have gone through the roof, but because I still felt connected, I was able to get through it.

Wow I can’t believe it. According to the image I have of you, I’d think you not only cook for every Bikur Cholim, but also run them single handedly! Your insightful posts definitely count for a lot! Keep em coming!

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 10:15 am
I originally joined this site when I was diagnosed with cancer and was looking for an online frum support group. Turns out that private forum is very quiet and not active at all (baruch hashem?).
But I stayed for the entertainment and I just enjoy browsing and sometimes posting.
Many times I've gotten concrete helpful advice here.

Edited to add I'm b"h many years past the cancer and completely healthy.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 10:23 am
I have learned so much from other women here. I think many women here have these precious gems they share, be it a good self help book, an idea about parenting, marriage, cleaning etc..and when you add them all up you have a beautiful crown. I post to get advice. I have many challenges and often I get pointed in the right direction. Bh I have also been blessed with, my own growth and appreciate the opportunity to share nuggets of wisdom with others. Like FF said, often I can't be the one making a supper for someone who had a baby, and being able to help others online fills somethimg in me.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 10:29 am
I come for advice, which has really helped.
Reading about others lives puts mine into perspective and that helps me see how fortunate I am.
I give my opinion, sometimes to say” girl your doing great “although sometimes I would love to go to a posters house and wham her over the head.

BadTichelDay

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 11:27 am
Oh, for entertainment, relaxation, procrastination and so on, for sure.
Also for giving advice and asking for advice (that I do mostly anonymously).
And for learing about other communities.
It is a fascinating window into American frum Jewish life - something I don't encounter much in my daily life in Israel and also didn't know much about before I made Aliyah from a non-Anglo country.

yonabets

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 12:06 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:

Thank you for being here ! I am a big fan of you!!it would not be the same thing without you Hug

rivkam

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 12:50 pm
I love having a resource to find out israel related questions from other anglos. Not having grown up in israel, theres so much that I dont know about the culture and how this country runs.
I also really enjoy being part of the monthly pregnancy groups when I'm pregnant. It's nice to be able to have this whole group of woman who are all due at the same time as you.

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 1:50 pm
I use it for entertainment, advice, support, information, shopping, raising kids, marriage problems.. and everything. It’s almost a life saver!!!!

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 5:02 pm
I like helping people and showing off my vast practical knowledge. It's a holdover from school when you got credit for knowing the answer to a question. It's also sometimes very entertaining. There are people who can be depended upon to be good for a laugh or two a day. And this is how I keep up, after a fashion, with what's going on in the RW Orthodox world.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics