Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Was mikvah always part of the jewish wedding rituals?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 4:14 pm
I know its not actually part of the wedding, but its something that women have to do now before they get married (didnt know how to phrase that).
But was it always like that? Before mamad har sinai? Or only after? Or only later?

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 4:15 pm
At least since Yaakov married Leah...

avrahamama

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 4:16 pm
I heard that the simanim Yaakov gave to Rachel were hilchot nidda. And I also heard that women toveled in the Nile while they were slaves in mitzrayim.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 4:18 pm
Thank you. I wasnt sure if it was only after we got the torah or before.

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 4:19 pm
avrahamama wrote:
I heard that the simanim Yaakov gave to Rachel were hilchot nidda. And I also heard that women toveled in the Nile while they were slaves in mitzrayim.

I also heard that the Mitzrim worked to prevent Jewish women from dipping in the mikvah, as a way of reducing the population.

tichellady

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 5:30 pm
I’m not sure I understand the question but the laws of niddah have definitely evolved and gotten stricter throughout time.

avrahamama

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 5:46 pm
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
I also heard that the Mitzrim worked to prevent Jewish women from dipping in the mikvah, as a way of reducing the population.

Me too! Every pesach.

zaq

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 5:55 pm
Originally, all women toiveled, married or not. At some point, I assume after churban bayit sheni, the rabbanim observed that too many people were , as the old-fashioned novels would put it, "anticipating their marriage vows" and declared that only married women would toivel. This would serve as a powerful deterrent to premarital activities. I assume this was after the churban because, regardless of marital status, you can't eat korbanot in a state of tum'ah. Where there are no korbanot in the picture, being in a state of perpetual tum'ah is not the problem it is when there are korbanot.

BetsyTacy

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 6:45 pm
I love "anticipating their marriage vows". LOL Not exactly a phrase I ever thought I'd read on imamother.

ExtraCredit

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 7:11 pm
BetsyTacy wrote:
I love "anticipating their marriage vows". LOL Not exactly a phrase I ever thought I'd read on imamother.

She’s got a “zaq” of good phrases around here.

malki2

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 7:29 pm
zaq wrote:
Originally, all women toiveled, married or not. At some point, I assume after churban bayit sheni, the rabbanim observed that too many people were , as the old-fashioned novels would put it, "anticipating their marriage vows" and declared that only married women would toivel. This would serve as a powerful deterrent to premarital activities. I assume this was after the churban because, regardless of marital status, you can't eat korbanot in a state of tum'ah. Where there are no korbanot in the picture, being in a state of perpetual tum'ah is not the problem it is when there are korbanot.

אין חדש תחת השמש
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics