Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Do you think this is ok???
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 10:57 am
My friend just sent this to me (NY area). What do you think?

"Do you know that a " COVID-19 " sensor has been inserted secretly into every phone. Apparently when every one was having a phone disruption earlier this week, they were adding COVID -19 tracker to our phones.
If you have an android phone, go under settings, then look for Google settings and see if it's there.
If you are using an IPhone, go under settings, privacy, then health, it's there but not yet functional. The app can notify you if you've been near someone that have reported having COVID-19.
Don't turn it on because you will be tracked everywhere you go but once you update your phone, it will automatically be turned on on our phones.
*I have it on my phone. Currently set to off.*

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 10:58 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

"Do you know that a " COVID-19 " sensor has been inserted secretly into every phone. Apparently when every one was having a phone disruption earlier this week, they were adding COVID -19 tracker to our phones.
If you have an android phone, go under settings, then look for Google settings and see if it's there.
If you are using an IPhone, go under settings, privacy, then health, it's there but not yet functional. The app can notify you if you've been near someone that have reported having COVID-19.
Don't turn it on because you will be tracked everywhere you go but once you update your phone, it will automatically be turned on on our phones.

I have an iPhone. It’s not sure toy on my phone, but I’m sure it will be if I ever update my iOS.
As to whether or not I think it’s ok, no I don’t, but that’s just one more step of govt overreach....Perhaps if we were asked if we wanted to install such an app I would think differently. I don’t like that it is out there without our knowledge or consent.

Last edited by Ema of 5 on Mon, Aug 17 2020, 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 11:04 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

LOL LOL
If you have a smartphone, this technology has been around - and used - for years. And authorities have been using it for years.

You've had no problem with it until now.

giselle

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 11:11 am
Oh wow it is there! What does this mean exactly? Not sure I completely get it. I usually laugh these things off, but this feels creepy.

trixx

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 11:13 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
LOL LOL
If you have a smartphone, this technology has been around - and used - for years. And authorities have been using it for years.

You've had no problem with it until now.

No they added "health contact tracing" it's new

Blessing1

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 11:14 am
How can they trace your health through your phone?
I see now that it says under google settings "covid 19 exposure notifications" is this it??
Maybe it means that you get a notification if there's someone in your area that's infected.

amother
Red

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 11:15 am
It was added. I went I to my accounts and turned it off.

number

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 11:16 am
Lol there hasn’t been pandemic related contact tracking for years. I’m gonna skip the new update, thanks for the warning.

asmileaday

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 11:22 am
I have an android. Where under settings would I find it? I don't see anything. My phone is nagging me to update for the last 2 weeks so it's possible it's only installed with the update. I can't skip the update as the phone just doesn't allow it.

number

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 11:29 am
asmileaday wrote:
I have an android. Where under settings would I find it? I don't see anything. My phone is nagging me to update for the last 2 weeks so it's possible it's only installed with the update. I can't skip the update as the phone just doesn't allow it.
Im guessing you’d have to update and then disable. I have an iPhone and I’ve skipped updates before so hopefully this works the same way.

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 11:32 am
number wrote:
Lol there hasn’t been pandemic related contact tracking for years. I’m gonna skip the new update, thanks for the warning.

No but they've been able to track you for years. Now they are just asking permission to do it with an app. Trust me, they don't need the app to be able to trace where you were and where the coronavirus patient you met yesterday was.

The app is cute convenience that requires your approval and cuts bureaucracy for them, since they have your approval. Nothing more, nothing less.

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 11:36 am
It doesn’t do anything unless you turn it on, mine says I would need to install an ap to make it work (I phone)

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 11:44 am
notshanarishona wrote:
It doesn’t do anything unless you turn it on, mine says I would need to install an ap to make it work (I phone)

The fact that you have a smartphone means you're trackable even when your phone is off, period, end of story.

If they want to they can get permission to track you, without your knowledge or consent.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 12:20 pm
Yet one more reason to use an old fashioned kosher phone.

The more technology you have in your life, the more access you are giving to people. You are trading privacy for convenience. You'd have to be very naive to think otherwise.

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 1:22 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Yet one more reason to use an old fashioned kosher phone.

The more technology you have in your life, the more access you are giving to people. You are trading privacy for convenience. You'd have to be very naive to think otherwise.

They have been using this technology since the start of corona here in israel. the misrad habriut have been calling people round the clock to tell them to go into bidud. kosher phone or not. app or no app. A lot of people just started leaving their phone at home.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 1:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I think that your friend should stop believing conspiracy theories.

Yes, an app (actually an API) has been developed. No, its not functional unless you turn it on.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/d.....97242

HonesttoGod

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 5:08 pm
My phone has it and (gasp) it never had a disruption in the past 6 months. So that is part 1 of this conspiracy.
Every smart phone has a health tracker. They just updated it to be labeled covid (on some phones). Don't like it, don't have a smartphone.

Amarante

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 5:16 pm
The ridiculous paranoia of some people.

All phones have GPS trackers. Most cars have GPS trackers.

They are often extremely helpful in solving rapes and murders because they prove the criminal was at the place of the crime.

I don't know why I would fear increased functionality that would alert me if I were in contact with a Covid case. This would enable me to take those measures I thought prudent as well as help public health bring the pandemic under control so things can get back to normal as quickly as possible.

Those countries which have effective contact tracing have been able to re-open smartly and then monitor and shut down by quarantine where necessary.

Mothers

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 5:18 pm
number wrote:
Im guessing you’d have to update and then disable. I have an iPhone and I’ve skipped updates before so hopefully this works the same way.

Skipping updates is a bad idea, because you miss out on security updates, which leaves you vulnerable to hackers. In any case, as mentioned in the article (posted in the comment before mine) “you don't need to 'disable' exposure notifications as they are not enabled by default.” I checked, and this is true. My phone has it, but it was not enabled (and I didn’t enable it.). So definitely take all available updates - but don’t enable any features, which you don’t want.

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 5:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

What exactly does it do?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics