Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Why do you need to quote the OP's original post
Previous  1  2

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 10:04 am
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
That's exactly why they do it.
So that if you delete it there is still a record of it

I look at it disrespectful to do . I think next time I will make it clear on my original post that please do not quote.

There are actually people that were being nice and did delete. I thought it was being very generous.

giselle

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 10:08 am
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
I hate It too! I like to leave my post for a short while and then people just quote . I dont think its fair. I do always send to those who did to please delete. Some listen , some dont . Is annoying.

What you’re doing is not fair. I understand that sometimes there is a need to delete a post, but to make a habit of this isn’t conducive to this forum.

I think I once wanted a post deleted. So I reported my own thread and asked admin to remove the whole thing, which they did.

giselle

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 10:09 am
amother [ Gray ] wrote:

I don't like it when people treat this board like Whatsapp statuses that are meant to disappear.

Ha! Well said.

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 10:13 am
I look at it disrespectful to do . I think next time I will make it clear on my original post that please do not quote.

There are actually people that were being nice and did delete. I thought it was being very generous.

So don't post on a public message board. That's the way it works

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 10:15 am

I never knew that people officially post here with the intention of deleting shortly after. I can understand if it happens once a while when someone changes their mind, but not on a steady basis.
If that’s the case, I can understand why you’d get aggravated from other's quoting you.
I suggest you write in your OP “please don’t quote me, since I’m deleting soon”, so that #1- you’ll be saved from aggravation, and #2- posters who don’t want to respond in threads that are soon to be removed will know it advance.

Frumme

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 10:27 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Sometimes there are so many things I want to reply to that I need to see them all in front of me.

I agree with PinkFridge. How am I supposed to remember everything that OP said in her post when I'm replying? I prefer using the post a reply function as opposed to the quick post function at the bottom, so I can't just scroll up to review the OP's post. And since I do most of my Imamothering on my phone, it's not as easy for me to just open a new window/tab (a little annoying on the phone).

I love quoting others on forums. And I'm not apologetic about it (look at my avatar!) Very Happy

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 10:40 am
Op, do you also like to delete your posts and prefer not to be quoted?
I wonder how common it’s here.

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 10:40 am
Frumme wrote:
I agree with PinkFridge. How am I supposed to remember everything that OP said in her post when I'm replying? I prefer using the post a reply function as opposed to the quick post function at the bottom, so I can't just scroll up to review the OP's post. And since I do most of my Imamothering on my phone, it's not as easy for me to just open a new window/tab (a little annoying on the phone).

I love quoting others on forums. And I'm not apologetic about it (look at my avatar!) Very Happy

Uh oh! You’re a nightmare for some here!

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 11:07 am
I hate It too! I like to leave my post for a short while and then people just quote . I dont think its fair. I do always send to those who did to please delete. Some listen , some dont . Is annoying.

This is more annoying than reposting.
Please, if you don’t plan on keeping a post up, don’t post. I don’t think it’s fair.

aliavi

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 12:00 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
I could but it's easier if it's right there. Also, if it's already a page or two in, not everyone might remember all the points of the OP.

But now that I see how much pain this is bringing people I shall try to do teshuva.

(Where's the mea culpa emoji?)

'Tis the season. Thanks for the reminder.

ExtraCredit

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 12:03 pm
I think PinkFridge gets the Imamother Middos Award all year round!
Applause

Sunny Days

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 12:14 pm
ExtraCredit wrote:
I think PinkFridge gets the Imamother Middos Award all year round!
Applause

I agree!

And to answer ops question- what’s the crime? Its good in case someone cross posts with you, this way it’s clear you’re responding to ops question.

zaq

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 5:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
EVER- but especially when you are the first person responding????!!!

You may think you're first but someone or several someones may get their posts in before you hit submit, esp, if you're long-winded or a slow typist. Happens to me all the time.

Why the emotional outburst as indicated by your use of multiple punctuation marks? If you get that incensed over such a trivial matter, I respectfully suggest that you need either a long vacation or therapy, or both.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 8:29 pm
Frumme wrote:

Do you mean quoting people in the same forum, on the same thread, or that you quote people from different sites?

Frumme

Post Sun, Aug 16 2020, 10:23 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Do you mean quoting people in the same forum, on the same thread, or that you quote people from different sites?

That's a very good question Very Happy - (said someone somewhere on the internet, probably)

silverlining3

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 9:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
EVER- but especially when you are the first person responding????!!!

EVER
Like now. I'm not going along with the flow, just answering your specific post.
Even when I am involved in a conversation, When I wanna respond to a specific comment I quote..

gold21

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 10:04 pm
I've wondered this myself, multiple times. Why would someone quote the OP's post if they are the second poster directly below the OP's post? The purpose of quoting is to make clear which post one is replying to. When the OP is the only other post in the thread, quoting is unnecessary. And distracting.

ExtraCredit

Post Mon, Aug 17 2020, 10:06 pm
gold21 wrote:
I've wondered this myself, multiple times. Why would someone quote the OP's post if they are the second poster directly below the OP's post? The purpose of quoting is to make clear which post one is replying to. When the OP is the only other post in the thread, quoting is unnecessary. And distracting.

We got some explanations on this thread why people quote even OPs post.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics