Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Starting salary first year teacher

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 20 2020, 8:46 am
What is the typical salary for a first year teacher (girl straight out of high school) for NY area schools, lower elementary, English. School is in the category of heimish/neutral chassidish if that matters.

Thanks!

amother
Red

Post Thu, Aug 20 2020, 9:22 am
Is she literally right out of high school? With just a high school diploma? No seminary, no teacher training, no certification?
I'm not in the field, but I can't imagine it would be very much.

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Aug 20 2020, 9:28 am
Wow! Kol hakavod, she must be a very special girl with a lot of outside experience to be qualified to teach right out of HS, and not need pedagogical education training, curriculum development, classroom management, and all sorts of other skills. You must be very proud of her.

dankbar

Post Thu, Aug 20 2020, 9:29 am
Chassidish schools don't pay too much for teachers straight out of school.

Tzippy323

Post Thu, Aug 20 2020, 9:32 am
It also depends on whether she is teaching kodesh or English. Kodesh usually pays on a much higher scale. Some schools, have a large student body with a poor parent body. The pay scale can be very low. Sometimes, it is embarrassing to have to offer that amount of money. Some schools have a base line starting salary regardless of education. Certainly, someone straight out of high school couldn’t be expected to make very much. Other schools are willing to negotiate salaries based on experience. You will generally find that salaries range from a low of ten thousand dollars a year to a high of forty-five thousand dollars. This also depends on how “professional” the parent body is.

I wish your daughter much hatzlocha.

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Aug 20 2020, 9:35 am
Around $14,000 (for about 3 hours a day, 4 days a week)

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Aug 20 2020, 6:34 pm
Heimshe schools start at $7k-$8k (I even heard schools like belz start at 6k) approx I think schools like ateret might start at 9k-12k if they're desperate. More experience gets you more and more experience gets you a job in a better paying school but they dont have no experience rates because they wouldnt hire someone straight out of school.

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Aug 20 2020, 6:41 pm
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
Wow! Kol hakavod, she must be a very special girl with a lot of outside experience to be qualified to teach right out of HS, and not need pedagogical education training, curriculum development, classroom management, and all sorts of other skills. You must be very proud of her.

Unfair. I did that, and learned on the job. Then I did a Masters in education and guess what.. Learned nothing new.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics