Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Swimming makes you dizzy?

Success10

Post Sun, Aug 23 2020, 5:12 am
DD 10 just came back from her first swimming lesson. She said she got really dizzy after she came out of the pool. Her head still hurts a bit. She said the pool smelled of chemicals and she might have swallowed a lot of pool water. I'm thinking it might have to do more with her ears. What do you think?

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Aug 23 2020, 5:38 am
I suffer from dizziness from time to time
When I swim rowing I get really dizzy , otherwise I feel great about swimming .
We have "Crystals" inside our ears , when they move we become dizzy .
In rowing you usually move your head from one side to the other very quickly it might cause it , actually every sharp movement with the head .
Let her have a rest , tell her to move her head very gently it will pass soon yih .
It is recommended to see a doctor , just for checking .
Refuah Shleimah

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Aug 23 2020, 6:26 am
(1) is she afraid of the water?
(2) swallowing a little water shouldn’t do anything.
(3) a lot of pools have been using increasing chemicals since corona so it takes time to get used to the smell.

Success10

Post Sun, Aug 23 2020, 6:31 am
notshanarishona wrote:
(1) is she afraid of the water?
(2) swallowing a little water shouldn’t do anything.
(3) a lot of pools have been using increasing chemicals since corona so it takes time to get used to the smell.

She's not afraid, she had a great time, B"H. I imagine there are extra chemicals, though.

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Aug 23 2020, 7:00 am
Success10 wrote:
She's not afraid, she had a great time, B"H. I imagine there are extra chemicals, though.

That’s good. As a swimming instructor, I have found many kids to complain of symptoms in the water, normally those who don’t enjoy it.
It’s probably related to getting water in her ears and should pass within an hour of swimming.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Aug 23 2020, 7:15 am
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
I suffer from dizziness from time to time
When I swim rowing I get really dizzy , otherwise I feel great about swimming .
We have "Crystals" inside our ears , when they move we become dizzy .
In rowing you usually move your head from one side to the other very quickly it might cause it , actually every sharp movement with the head .
Let her have a rest , tell her to move her head very gently it will pass soon yih .
It is recommended to see a doctor , just for checking .
Refuah Shleimah

Yep, this is exactly what vertigo is. I get it too, but B'H not as often lately. If she says that the room is spinning, then it's not water, it's the crystals in the inner ear. The only thing you can do for that is to take seasick medicine like meclazine or Dramamine and wait for the crystals to dissolve on their own.

Water in the ear canal can cause a "muffled" sort of hearing problem, but it's easily fixed. It usually works it's way out on it's own. If she can shake her head with the affected ear pointing to the floor, the water will probably come out. If not, it will be out by tomorrow for sure. Try to get her to sleep on her side, with the affected ear on the pillow.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Aug 23 2020, 8:08 am
If it’s a problem with the ears try wax earplugs. It could also be dehydration that is less noticeable in water, but obvious when you get out.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Aug 23 2020, 8:36 am
I used to get crazy headaches in the pool that I literally stopped going. Up until 15 I was always in the pool. I got such bad headaches that my day was over and was sick in bed. I never figured out if it was from the sun or bleach but It took me almost another 15 years to become friends with the pool again.

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Aug 23 2020, 9:00 am
Chlorine is a neurotoxin. She might be reacting to that.

trixx

Post Sun, Aug 23 2020, 9:33 am
Was she simply hydrated and well fed

Success10

Post Sun, Aug 23 2020, 9:35 am
trixx wrote:
Was she simply hydrated and well fed

Not really, no. Sad

We're going to try to make sure she has a better breakfast before she leaves tomorrow.

BTW, I just smelled her bathing suit and it reeks of chlorine. So it might be a combination of things going on.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics