Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Normal for school to ask us to buy laptop as supplies for?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 5:13 pm
My dd is starting kindergarten.

I just got the supply list and information.

1) I thought schools dont require kindergarteners to wear uniforms.

Does your kindergartener have to wear a uniform? I I already bought clothes and now last minute, they send me about a uniform.

2) the school supply list which was just sent says

To buy a specific type of laptop for my kindergartener as part of her supplies.

This is ridiculous. I dont pay thousands of dollars to have my child work on a laptop.

And, this is expensive!

What do you think? Is this normal?

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 5:16 pm
Are they planning for possible covid closures? If so, makes sense. They want to make sure you have a computer that is compatible with whichever online learning tool they plan to utilize.

Fabulous

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 5:17 pm
Some schools do start uniform in kindergarten. Did they change the rules last minute or did you just not realize?

Is the laptop bec is corona? Bec that’s odd. I would ask them

mha3484

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 5:22 pm
The girls division of my boys school starts the uniform in what we call K others call it pre1a.

Also they would never ask for a laptop as part of the school supply list. Covid or no covid.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 5:31 pm
in ny kids got computers that were loaned to them because of carona

avrahamama

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 5:36 pm
Ours is requiring we buy from them a tablet already nset up. In case of a closure.

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 5:38 pm
Where I used to live, kindergarten was called Pre-1-a and there was no uniform.
Where I live now, it’s called primary and there is a uniform.

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 5:40 pm
Any other year I would agree its crazy. This year makes a lot of sense- so many kids were not able to learn remotely because of computer issues.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 5:41 pm
Fabulous wrote:
Some schools do start uniform in kindergarten. Did they change the rules last minute or did you just not realize?

Is the laptop bec is corona? Bec that’s odd. I would ask them

What happened was they are very bad at enrolling/registration/bookkeeping etc and are very disorganized. I'm not happy with how they told me in February everything was
Finalized but later found it wasnt true. So, I got all the information last minute.

I have no other choice of schools, and I assumed I wouldnt need to buy uniforms because everyone I
Know says their child's school starts uniform after kindergarten.

Anyway, they got a new secretary in feb who is the only one I could speak to and she doesnt know anything. I couldnt speak to anyonelse.

Thank you to everyone who replied.

If they are asking for the laptop because they anticipate we may be closed, well, they should have written that. I didnt expect this after paying thousands of dollars for tuition. But, why send it to school?

I asked bookkeeping if they will decrease my tuition if they end up closing, and they ignored me.

Now, I have all these new expenses.

I'm disgusted, but I have no choice of schools.

All of my relatives told me their kids' schools already sent supply lists etc, but this school seems very disorganized. And, this is only the beginning!!

Also, regarding a laptop, my cousin said her childs school offered an option to rent a tablet for $60.

But, that tablet was to keep home,but a laptop is expensive.

asmileaday

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 8:13 pm
A laptop for Kindergartener to take to school?! Makes no sense.

Rappel

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 8:17 pm
Is it possible that this is the supply list of an older grade?

dorothy1

Post Wed, Aug 19 2020, 8:36 pm
My dd started wearing a uniform in kindergarten .
As far as the computer, it depends on the school and the situation. Is it normal ? Maybe, in certain very wealthy communities where lots of technology is used. I don’t know. It’s something I’d ask about

TwinsMommy

Post Sun, Aug 23 2020, 11:25 pm
most schools I've heard about are PROVIDING laptops to students who need to learn at home due to Corona, including one of my kids. You shouldn't have to purchase that!

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Aug 23 2020, 11:42 pm
I’d say not to buy it. Wait for them to come after you.
I think you’d better find some other moms who are sending so you know the inside scoop. You aren’t getting it from the school.

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Aug 23 2020, 11:43 pm
Laptop seems off to me. My DD goes to MO HS in Teaneck. They offer a school iPad if you want or if don't have a laptop (which most kids have). Making it mandatory and for Kindergarten seems bizarre

DrMom

Post Sun, Aug 23 2020, 11:50 pm
I can see them saying that each child must have access to a computer with specific SW programs in case they need to switch to remote learning.

But it seems ridiculous to tell you that you need to purchase a specific laptop model.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics