Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Sensory diet

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 7:56 pm
Anyone put their kid on a sensory diet and found that it made any difference? I was told to do it but I'm a bit skeptical and wondering if it does anything

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 10:19 pm
I don’t know what that is but my 22.5 year old add child has all but stopped ticking and stimming since he went very low carb a year ago. He’s even driving well. He will never have executive skills but he’s so calm.

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Oct 24 2018, 10:29 pm
Yes, absolutely. Do you understand how sensory processing works? What are you skeptical about?

devash1

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 1:25 am
I just started with my four year old. I am not super good to do things 5 times a day like she said. But I am already seeing a big difference even just by giving him Sasha's throughout the day. It really isn't that difficult and I'm seeing a big difference so you don't really have much to lose.

devash1

Post Thu, Oct 25 2018, 1:26 am
I just started with my four year old. I am not super good to do things 5 times a day like she said. But I am already seeing a big difference even just by giving him massages throughout the day. It really isn't that difficult and I'm seeing a big difference so you don't really have much to lose.

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Aug 25 2020, 8:31 pm
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
Yes, absolutely. Do you understand how sensory processing works? What are you skeptical about?
how does sensory processing work

octopus

Post Tue, Aug 25 2020, 8:38 pm
Disclaimer. I'm not an OT. From my understanding, in some kids, the senses are either over stimulated or under stimulated. In some children loud noises bother them or they must chew on their clothes or bite their peers and have difficulty sitting. Those are the overstimulated kids. And the loud noisy classroom setting can really exacerbate it. Then you have kids that seem like (I'm lacking better words) like a limp noodle. They need to wake up their senses. The exercises really help them.
(For those of you that are unfamiliar, a sensory diet is not food, it is a bunch of exercises).

octopus

Post Tue, Aug 25 2020, 8:54 pm
Then you have kids that have really poor body awareness (proprioception ). They push kids on line (by mistake), sit on other kids on the carpet (by mistake again) and basically hurt other kids because they are unaware of their bodies in relation to others. OT helps with that. And yes I have seen it help kids. There are plenty of other things OT helps with besides the above mentioned.

amother
Jetblack

Post Sat, Sep 05 2020, 9:58 pm
andrea levy wrote:
I don’t know what that is but my 22.5 year old add child has all but stopped ticking and stimming since he went very low carb a year ago. He’s even driving well. He will never have executive skills but he’s so calm.
it never ceases to amaze me when gut health has such an obvious effect on nervous system health

frumama

Post Sat, Sep 05 2020, 11:33 pm
Yes and yes! Did it make all his challenges disappear? No. Buts he's for sure calmer and more in control of himself when we give him the sensory in put. It was a game changer for us. Hatzlocha

amother
Lemon

Post Sat, Sep 05 2020, 11:39 pm
I've done recommended exercises and I haven't seen any real change.
Some of the issues I think may be psychological (example chewing on everything is stemming from anxiety). But hey every child is different. Worth a shot if you are not paying a fortune OOP.

amother
Babypink

Post Sat, Sep 05 2020, 11:51 pm
I am an OT and just want to point out 2 things.
First, make sure the sensory diet is fulfilling your child's specific sensory needs. For example, if he is seeking tactile input/touching everything in sight, make sure he is getting that input through the exercises.
Second, if the sensory diet does not seem to be working it could very well be that it is not a sensory issue. Sensory and behavior issues can look similar and as another poster pointed out, the issues could be coming from anxiety or poor attention.

lilies

Post Sat, Sep 05 2020, 11:57 pm
Or ptsd.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 5:18 am
I'm also working with an OT to put my DD (5) on a sensory diet, but will I have to do the exersizes forever?

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 9:06 am
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
I'm also working with an OT to put my DD (5) on a sensory diet, but will I have to do the exersizes forever?

No. Either your daughter will grow and develop to no longer need them as much or she will be able to do the exercises herself once developmentally appropriate.

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Sep 06 2020, 9:10 am
amother [ Lime ] wrote:

My goal with my son was for him to eventually understand what his body is feeling and to think for himself what would feel nice to him in the moment and eventually be able to give that to himself/ ask me for what he needs me to give him/ brainstorm together with me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)