Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Frozen brussel sprouts
Previous  1  2

Teomima

Post Wed, Mar 13 2019, 2:55 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Shredded sprouts are wonderful stir fried on olive oil with coarse sea salt. I really like them stir fried in real butter, if I'm doing a dairy meal. Fresh ground pepper is a nice addition, too.

Mmmm, yes! THE best way to eat them. Though sadly I have found bugs in fresh sprouts. In my experience it goes batch by batch: if I get a good batch, they're usually all clean. But if I get a bad one, sometimes nothing is salvageable.

tigerwife

Post Tue, Aug 25 2020, 6:56 pm
Bumping this. If you bought the frozen sprouts, do you bake whole or thaw and cut in half? Has anyone done both ways and see a difference?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Aug 25 2020, 6:59 pm
tigerwife wrote:
Bumping this. If you bought the frozen sprouts, do you bake whole or thaw and cut in half? Has anyone done both ways and see a difference?

Keep frozen. Keep whole if they're not too big.

tigerwife

Post Tue, Aug 25 2020, 7:06 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Keep frozen. Keep whole if they're not too big.

Thanks!

Teomima

Post Tue, Aug 25 2020, 11:18 pm
tigerwife wrote:

I thaw and cut in half. When you keep them whole, they get really mushy inside.

Odelyah

Post Tue, Aug 25 2020, 11:32 pm
I was so excited to to see them a few years ago and tried them once and they were very bitter. I roasted them in the oven with olive oil, garlic and salt etc. Maybe they were a different brand like bodek, not pardes? Are the pardes ones not bitter? I know what good brussels sprouts taste like because I grew up at a time before most people in the US (including all kashrus agencies) knew anything about bugs in produce (except for Romaine lettuce-- which people only used for Pesach. The rest of the year it was iceberg all the way Smile) so fresh brussels sprouts were in my mother's regular rotation. And broccoli, cauliflower and asparagus too. Yum. hopefully the DDT that was probably still legal back then took care of it though Wink

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 12:16 am
I find frozen brussels sprouts dreadful. Too waterlogged; they never really crisp up. I only eat fresh, and yes, it's hard to find them non-infested but sometimes I do.

Odelyah

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 1:20 am
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
I find frozen brussels sprouts dreadful. Too waterlogged; they never really crisp up. I only eat fresh, and yes, it's hard to find them non-infested but sometimes I do.

I think that's why people are saying they cut them in half and roast them.

the ones I bought a while ago came out crispy enough, they were just really bitter.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 1:40 am
I really don’t like the pardes ones, I like the steamfresh or shoprite frozen brussel sprouts.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking