Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Child support

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 25 2020, 11:04 pm
My friends' ex is unemployed and for whatever reason can't receive benefits. I understand that she is extremely upset that he does not give her any child support for her 4 teenage children. Question - what should he do if he doesnt gave a dime and what rights does she have? Now with school starting there is the stress of tuotion too...

ellacoe

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 12:14 am
Depends on several factors. First of all what does their agreement say? What state are they in? What income does he have? What income does she have? Does he have the ability to be employed?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 6:59 am
He can work but suffers from depression so not able to be motivated. She is a professional BH makes a decent salary but is resentful that the burden is on her.
They live in NY

watergirl

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 7:14 am
What does their order say he has to pay?

If he does not work, he has nothing to pay. How does he support himself? Did he work during the marriage?

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 7:23 am
Does she go through NY Child Support Enforcement?
They will impute a minimal income to him and obligate payments to your children.
My ex barely worked and I rarely got child support but when he DID work I would get payments automatically.
It's a very tough situation and I wish her luck.

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 8:25 am
It’s an extremely hard situation. My suggestion for her would be to work on her resentment because that has been eating me up alive for so long. Now that I’m working though it I’m living a much happier life. It’s not fair but to live in resentment is not fair to you! Not easy but worth it!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics