Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Wing Soup

smile

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 3:14 pm
Your recipe for making chicken soup with just Wings. (Including quantities)
Thank you!

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 3:37 pm
Sorry I can't give quantities. But I'd get at least a few lbs., maybe more than that, like 8. Put in pot, add water to cover. Bring to boil. While boiling, peel vegetables - carrots, parsnip, onions - and put in pot. I like to add dill. Usually fresh in a filter bag. Once it comes to a boil, skim, then let simmer for a good few hours. Cool. Refrigerate. Skim fat the next day, freeze.

mha3484

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 3:39 pm
This recipe has worked for me in the past. https://smittenkitchen.com/201.....tock/

We really prefer with bones instead of chicken pieces but this was very good.

BatyaEsther

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 4:34 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Sorry I can't give quantities. But I'd get at least a few lbs., maybe more than that, like 8. Put in pot, add water to cover. Bring to boil. While boiling, peel vegetables - carrots, parsnip, onions - and put in pot. I like to add dill. Usually fresh in a filter bag. Once it comes to a boil, skim, then let simmer for a good few hours. Cool. Refrigerate. Skim fat the next day, freeze.

How big is your pot that you fit 8 pounds of wings in it?
I just use like 1 family pack.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 4:37 pm
BatyaEsther wrote:
How big is your pot that you fit 8 pounds of wings in it?
I just use like 1 family pack.

It's a big pot. I make over a month at a time. I was guesstimating the total. I actually use a mix of bones, chicken pieces, and gizzards.

BatyaEsther

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 4:46 pm
I don't think my kitchen is big enough to house a pot that big 😊
I have the pleasure of reinventing the wheel and making soup weekly.

iyar

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 4:49 pm
PinkFridge wrote:

An onion, a few carrots and a parsnip are all fine, but you also want to add fresh garlic cloves, a few celery stalks, a leek (just the white part, cut it in half and wash well between the layers to get rid of dirt and maybe bugs), parsley - root or leaves or both, and a small piece of fresh ginger. Sorry I don't have exact quantities either but I think a cup of water to a wing is about right. Try 8 or 9 cups water, 8 - 12 wings and all the vegetables above. Your house will smell so good...

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 4:58 pm
PinkFridge wrote:

8 POUNDS???

I use more like 8 to 10 wings, in a net bag. With carrots, onions, celery, garlic, peppercorns and salt, also in a net bag. I usually use the Instant Pot, but even there, I put it on 4 hours.

Alton Brown is with me on this one, at least re ingredients: https://www.foodnetwork.com/re.....61273

But we prefer to use bones.

iyar

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 6:35 pm
Alton Brown may be a very famous chef.
But nobody makes soup like a Jewish mother.
Smile

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 8:16 pm
BatyaEsther wrote:
I don't think my kitchen is big enough to house a pot that big 😊
I have the pleasure of reinventing the wheel and making soup weekly.

I keep it in the basement, and store some things in it.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 8:17 pm
iyar wrote:
An onion, a few carrots and a parsnip are all fine, but you also want to add fresh garlic cloves, a few celery stalks, a leek (just the white part, cut it in half and wash well between the layers to get rid of dirt and maybe bugs), parsley - root or leaves or both, and a small piece of fresh ginger. Sorry I don't have exact quantities either but I think a cup of water to a wing is about right. Try 8 or 9 cups water, 8 - 12 wings and all the vegetables above. Your house will smell so good...

Celery's wonderful ( you can put leaves in the filter bag) and garlic is ok, but I have family members who veto them. Still a great soup.
I use ginger in my kneidlach.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Aug 26 2020, 8:18 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
8 POUNDS???

I use more like 8 to 10 wings, in a net bag. With carrots, onions, celery, garlic, peppercorns and salt, also in a net bag. I usually use the Instant Pot, but even there, I put it on 4 hours.

Alton Brown is with me on this one, at least re ingredients: https://www.foodnetwork.com/re.....61273

But we prefer to use bones.

It's been a while since I've used wings. I'm guesstimating.
Wings aren't cheap anymore. The point is, I put them in, then add the water.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics